• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

i have a question, i bought a 1/1 AP cover art from Christian ward. i know digital doesn't go for as much as pencil but if i intended to sell it how do i price it? with comics i just go by sold prices on eBay but this has no price history. cover is something is killing the children #9 incentive

Capturetyty.JPG

25 minutes ago, williamblood said:

i have a question, i bought a 1/1 AP cover art from Christian ward. i know digital doesn't go for as much as pencil but if i intended to sell it how do i price it? with comics i just go by sold prices on eBay but this has no price history. cover is something is killing the children #9 incentive

Great question!

2 Mikel Janin Batman pages sold for $71 together, and a Dauterman Thor cover sold for $79

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/mikel-janin-batman-artist-proofs-monoprints-group-of-2-dc-2018-2019-total-2-items-/a/122108-17773.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/russell-dauterman-mighty-thor-14-cover-artist-s-proof-1-1-marvel-2017-/a/122110-14053.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

When it comes to Artist's Proofs and monoprints, it seems we're all trying to get a sense of the market. It's interesting that the Janin panel pages sold for less than cost, as did the Dauterman cover (I assume), but you don't have a piece by either of those guys. Jae Lee's pricing isn't the same as Jim Lee's pricing, if you get my drift. What's Ward's fan base? Also, you have a variant cover of a series that seems to be 🔥 right now, and it's in full color. For the right buyer, those are good things.

But it's early in the digital game and nobody knows where we go from here. If you're selling it on CAF, pick a price and see if anybody bites. If you'd rather put it in an auction house, choose carefully. Some places are better for modern art than others. From Twanj's examples, I'd say Heritage is the wrong marketplace for APs. 

2 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

When it comes to Artist's Proofs and monoprints, it seems we're all trying to get a sense of the market. It's interesting that the Janin panel pages sold for less than cost, as did the Dauterman cover (I assume), but you don't have a piece by either of those guys. Jae Lee's pricing isn't the same as Jim Lee's pricing, if you get my drift. What's Ward's fan base? Also, you have a variant cover of a series that seems to be 🔥 right now, and it's in full color. For the right buyer, those are good things.

But it's early in the digital game and nobody knows where we go from here. If you're selling it on CAF, pick a price and see if anybody bites. If you'd rather put it in an auction house, choose carefully. Some places are better for modern art than others. From Twanj's examples, I'd say Heritage is the wrong marketplace for APs. 

I agree. Eba -  Buy It Now / Make an Offer is the way to go right now. 

Please, do the more experienced collectors here think this ASM page on eBay is fake? I was about to submit an offer pretty close to the ask but just this morning decided to compare it to the published page. There are some details that don't quite match up... (BC's hair, windows of the background buildings, Spidey's feet, random inked lines, etc.) Also, when I look at Frenz ASM pages of CAF and those sold on Heritage, they all have word balloons attached (no mention of overlays). Finally, it isn't signed by any of the artists and doesn't have the Marvel stamp on the back... Could it be a redraw or first attempt by the artist and inker? The art board definitely looks old enough...

Page listed for sale:

ASM263_5ebay.thumb.jpeg.3fdf40802b53d06eac4c016309a5a0d6.jpeg

ASM263_5.jpeg

Edited by Noob19
tpos

3 hours ago, Noob19 said:

Please, do more the more experienced collectors here think this ASM page on eBay is fake? I was about to submit an offer pretty close to the ask but just this morning decided to compare it to the published page. There are some details that don't quite match up... (BC's hair, windows of the background buildings, Spidey's feet, random inked lines, etc.) Also, when I look at Frenz ASM pages of CAF and those sold on Heritage, they all have word balloons attached (no mention of overlays). Finally, it isn't signed by any of the artists and doesn't have the Marvel stamp on the back... Could it be a redraw or first attempt by the artist and inker? The art board definitely looks old enough...

Page listed for sale:

ASM263_5ebay.thumb.jpeg.3fdf40802b53d06eac4c016309a5a0d6.jpeg

ASM263_5.jpeg

I could see this being a situation where the original (what you're seeing fs) was statted and that then worked on by Production Department for publication, where there's an original piece and then a second piece (that's who knows where these days) that's mostly or all not original art. Or it could be fake! But I'm leaning toward my explanation here. I've seen these situations quite a few times over the years, especially for the late 70s to mid 80s Marvel period.

6 hours ago, vodou said:

I could see this being a situation where the original (what you're seeing fs) was statted and that then worked on by Production Department for publication, where there's an original piece and then a second piece (that's who knows where these days) that's mostly or all not original art. Or it could be fake! But I'm leaning toward my explanation here. I've seen these situations quite a few times over the years, especially for the late 70s to mid 80s Marvel period.

5 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Try talking to some of these artists or reps could also help seeing if it's real.

Thanks!

I'm finding it tough to price some OA that I've picked up in some collections I've bought.  I can put it up on Heritage or another auction site but I have some heartburn with the 20% to 35% fees.  At the same time I don't want to post a price of $1000 for a $100 piece or $1000 on a $3000 piece.  If I'm a little under and the piece sells, great.  If I'm a little too high, then someone maybe makes an offer and that works out.  But how to even get in the ball park?  What to do. 

Examples are below, as well as a Wolverine page, Superman page, and two 1980s Conan prelim sketches by Kane that then were published.  I'll try to post those pics.  If nothing else, cool to check out the OA and laugh at my 1st world problem.  

Kieron Dwyer's #368 "advanced" version of the cover

Eagle by Neil Vokes from Crystal Comics

351E6D26-8F9A-4B0A-8829-1D04F5A1D00B.thumb.jpeg.3b128e75cb1962ffee8a1dab5ba8cba1.jpeg

B6034680-BC18-4B6E-BC3B-1841A03960EF.thumb.jpeg.4be8aa4c8a4f594baa6383e681dfad89.jpeg

FC0C48DC-7432-4C66-BE04-22D29A840769.thumb.jpeg.81448ba9ab796165281af4720626c838.jpeg

63652FBB-0CFD-43CB-B963-E982FDD37940.thumb.jpeg.bbb9c9f8c27401f483da9e072f57d23f.jpeg

A5107223-410B-4022-8B5E-16063D2C255C.thumb.jpeg.12a79476c54e7f7805965e3a5a7a2920.jpeg

278ABA3E-B2A5-441B-BAE2-8E93493D099E.thumb.jpeg.22616c8de2f0b07377b3d7b902b51763.jpeg

1 hour ago, BuraddoRun said:

I occasionally see a listing or post where someone describes something as "twice-up." What does that mean?

Larger than modern size art (11"x17"), I think twiceup was twice the size of the printed page and switched over to modern size in the mid 1960s?

Actual page sizes seem to vary from what I've seen listed, but the image size seems to be around 12"x18" with different size margins.

1 hour ago, Twanj said:

Larger than modern size art (11"x17"), I think twiceup was twice the size of the printed page and switched over to modern size in the mid 1960s?

Actual page sizes seem to vary from what I've seen listed, but the image size seems to be around 12"x18" with different size margins.

A simple Google probably answers it, but I recall it was twice up because it was double the size of the comic in both dimensions 

They are 13 x 19

Malvin

Edited by malvin

Didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone know of Alan Davis works digitally only now?

I own and have seen other pages from his work on the infinity books and they all seem to be blue line with Farmer inks exclusively.

Is this true for his cover work as well? Thanks in advance 

11 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

Didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone know of Alan Davis works digitally only now?

I own and have seen other pages from his work on the infinity books and they all seem to be blue line with Farmer inks exclusively.

Is this true for his cover work as well? Thanks in advance 

I can't speak to whether he does digital pencils.  I do know that before, he would thumbnail the page, print it out on 11x17 with the blue lines, then tighten the pencils.  That's why you would see printed blue lines on some of his works, but it has pencils and inks

But as I said. I don't know if he does pure digital work today.

Malvin

Not exactly comic art, but comic-adjacent: What is the market like for a Frazetta remarked print or pencil sketch?

At the rate the market is going, even an ink illustration of Frank's will remain perpetually out of reach. I'm particularly fond of his big cat drawings. Any advice for his art would be appreciated. :)

On 4/18/2021 at 12:42 AM, Werebear said:

Not exactly comic art, but comic-adjacent: What is the market like for a Frazetta remarked print or pencil sketch?

At the rate the market is going, even an ink illustration of Frank's will remain perpetually out of reach. I'm particularly fond of his big cat drawings. Any advice for his art would be appreciated. :)

3-5k depending on the level of detail. Usually they’re inked.

Not new to OA collecting, but have a question none the less

With the explosion of comic book prices over the last 18 months is there a correlation to original art? 

I do know that high end art has really taken off on auction sites but what about lower end OA (under $1000)

Also is there a way to value your OA, to see price bumps or market corrections?

Its relatively easy to evaluate individual comics with apps, websites and ebay but OA is a little more subjective

Take for instance my Gary Frank Hulk 415 page, how would I find out the current value? (beside selling)

Should we open a topic "please price my original art page?"

My wife paid $500 for this 10 years ago, how would you evaluate rate of return on OA?

Screenshot_20210506-032206_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Ducky13 said:

My wife paid $500 for this 10 years ago, how would you evaluate rate of return on OA?

Screenshot_20210506-032206_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ha!  I sold this page (stupidly).  It's worth $550 today, and I'll PayPal it to you right now to get it back. :foryou:

I'll let others better reply to your question, though I know Alex Johnson has a well used write up on the pricing/looking for comps topic.