• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 8:48 PM, aqn83 said:

I have a piece still in the bag and backing that I got from Heritage. Been a few months, just been lazy about it, but i'm not sweating it.

Any type of acid migration between materials takes a LONG time. If you plan on doing something with it soon, i wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you plan on keeping it indefinitely in there, I'd advise you to get some mylar, but good luck getting larger sized bags!

I can just fold the art to fit it in a smaller bag, right?

On 3/1/2022 at 9:49 PM, RBerman said:

I can just fold the art to fit it in a smaller bag, right?

Make sure you cut along the lines. That way, when you paste it all back together, you'll be able to hide the cuts better.

On 2/13/2022 at 8:53 PM, RBerman said:

How archival are the bags in which Heritage ships art to us? I normally put my art in Itoyas, but for pricier pieces, I was thinking it might be good to keep them in a sealed bag to minimize the risk of damage when moving between Itoyas occasionally. Maybe leaving the backing board in place as well?

I don’t think those are meant for long term storage. An itoya is better. Or step it up a notch and buy Mylar bags and place in the itoya.

seriously though, where does one get the proper sized Mylar bags and boards for the various sizes of OA out there ? Is there a thread on this I missed/too lazy to look up, or can someone post some tips here ?

Thanks

FISH

On 3/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, fishbone said:

seriously though, where does one get the proper sized Mylar bags and boards for the various sizes of OA out there ? Is there a thread on this I missed/too lazy to look up, or can someone post some tips here ?

Thanks

FISH

You can get what you generally need at E. Gerber Products. But, you do have to call in the order, and, depending on the art size, perhaps buy more than you need (or buy things which don’t fit very well). I’m pretty lazy on this score and generally just get storage books. I also buy misc. mylars at shows which I use to hold the art that goes into the books. And, I don’t bother with boards as the art is in the books and stacked flat. Just keep the art in a cool, dry and dark place. You should be fine even if this is not up to standards of perfection.

Has anyone purchased any OA by Phil Noto and if so from where?

(I have tried e-mailing his website but never get a response)

Thanks and apologies if it has been asked before

On 3/28/2022 at 10:46 PM, MV said:

Phil's published work has been exclusively digital for the last 10 years.  And he does not sell his digital OA in the form of monoprints.  There are hand drawn OA pieces from say, pre- 2011, floating out there and in collections.  If you check the 'For Sale' section on Comicartfans, or use Comicarttracker.com, they come up every so often, but they are a rare breed.  Most of the pieces I've seen are from his run on Birds of Prey, Danger Girl, Jonah Hex, Batgirl, and Robin.  But imo, all his hand drawn OA from that earlier period, pales in visual appeal to how he draws now.  Back then, he drew figures very lean and with narrow faces.

P.S.  Phil rarely responds to any communication via social media or thru his website.  His schedule is just too busy, between personal and professional commitments, to respond to the volume of inquiries.  He's a one man show and he has no art rep.  If you are lucky, he may respond to you when he has time...which can be months later.  If you are interested in a commission, the only truly viable way is to get on his list at a convention.  But because he does so few conventions, even that is a tough go.  I know all this from personal experience because Phil is my favorite artist when it comes to collecting art.

But good luck in your quest.     

Edited by modelmaker

What is the longest time you've had to wait for a piece coming from overseas? I purchased some pages the last week of March and still waiting for any kind of tracking info. I've contacted the seller twice since then and was told there were some delays. I think the artist ships to the seller stateside then they will ship it to me. They seem to be a well established seller, but kind of getting worried. I don't want to be a nag since I'm kind of new to this and this could just be part for the course.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, Nuttzo said:

What is the longest time you've had to wait for a piece coming from overseas? I purchased some pages the last week of March and still waiting for any kind of tracking info. I've contacted the seller twice since then and was told there were some delays. I think the artist ships to the seller stateside then they will ship it to me. They seem to be a well established seller, but kind of getting worried. I don't want to be a nag since I'm kind of new to this and this could just be part for the course.

It can depend upon where it is coming from, and what may be the continuing impact of COVID. I think mine was about 10 weeks, when Brazil was basically in lockdown.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, Nuttzo said:

I paid for a finished, published page by a Filipino artist in January 2020. It finally arrived December 2020, after several "Yes, I'll send it out in the next few days" exchanges over the course of the intervening eleven months. However, he did include an extra page, nicer than the one I paid for, so I consider myself an eventually satisfied customer.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:46 AM, RBerman said:

I paid for a finished, published page by a Filipino artist in January 2020. It finally arrived December 2020, after several "Yes, I'll send it out in the next few days" exchanges over the course of the intervening eleven months. However, he did include an extra page, nicer than the one I paid for, so I consider myself an eventually satisfied customer.

Yes, I want to say if @Nuttzo used an established seller they'll be ok.

I was told lockdowns were more strict in the Philippines. I bought something through a well known rep in December 2021, and it arrived in February 2022. Lots of miscommunication/bait and switch on the reps part, but the shipping issue from the artist was because of local regulations. Hard to believe from Florida (where everything was open) that they weren't allowed to go to the post office but that's the case.

I guess as long as it gets there in the end.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:46 AM, MV said:

I will never, ever deal directly with Phil Noto again.  Going back over 10 years, I e-mailed him directly about 2 commissions and paid via PayPal the same day.  After that, I never heard from him again.  After over 2 years of no response to occasional inquiries, I ended up receiving the art from a 3rd party who was never involved in the original transaction.  And I contacted that 3rd party after he posted some Noto art on CAF.  I think he was a friend/collector of Noto.  He had my commissions.  And he basically told me something like, "if you were at Comic Con, you could've picked them up there".  Well, I wasn't at Comic Con and noone even offered that information in advance.  After paying Noto, noone proactively contacted me.

The above is from a 2012 e-mail when I recalled the commission experience for someone.

The whole experience left a bad taste.  I ended up selling one of the pieces.  I still have the other one.  Once in a while it turns up when I'm looking through some art.  Beautiful image, bad memories. 

Edited by Will_K

On 6/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, brownies8701 said:

i have an idea, but to confirm, what are stat paste-ups & text paste-ups?  Sorry if it has already been asked previously.

Do they detract from collectability / value?

For the record, I am a newbie collector to OA 

Stats are copies of original art and text “pasted” onto original art. Often, but not always, it is correct or change the underlying text or art. A large amount of stat art will usually reduce the value of art compared to art which is all original, since people want the original art.  It doesn’t generally affect price if it only affects text, IMO.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 6/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Stats are copies of original art and text “pasted” onto original art. Often, but not always, it is correct or change the underlying text or art. A large amount of stat art will usually reduce the value of art compared to art which is all original, since people want the original art.  It doesn’t generally affect price if it only affects text, IMO.

Right. Here are some ways I could see stats affecting value.

Sometimes you will see listings that say stat but original art underneath. So you have the original art that's been changed (shrunk, enlarged. or altered) with a photocopy pasted on top. Or maybe it's 2 panels that were swapped. If there was no original art underneath, that wouldn't be as desirable.

Some older covers may have been changed and be 90% stat, with borders added by someone else.

Sometimes it can lead to display issues, where it may not look as nice as a page without stats. The different papers can end up being different colors or age differently.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, Rick2you2 said:

On 6/13/2022 at 12:41 PM, Twanj said:

Right. Here are some ways I could see stats affecting value.

Sometimes you will see listings that say stat but original art underneath. So you have the original art that's been changed (shrunk, enlarged. or altered) with a photocopy pasted on top. Or maybe it's 2 panels that were swapped. If there was no original art underneath, that wouldn't be as desirable.

Some older covers may have been changed and be 90% stat, with borders added by someone else.

Sometimes it can lead to display issues, where it may not look as nice as a page without stats. The different papers can end up being different colors or age differently.

Thanks so much!  Clears up a lot!