• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Stamps show up on older pages that were physically delivered to the publisher (though mistakes happen). Newer pages are generally sent electronically to the publisher so the original (pencils only sometimes; inked other times; never with word ballots) has no stamps.

Edited by alxjhnsn

While I am not new to OA collecting I do have a couple questions.

I am currently looking for a matching pencil only and separate inked page, what's the best way to locate these type of pages? ebay is sparce and most of the OA sites don't list them together.

What are the different types of pages? I have a panel page, half splash, full splash, title page, an end page, double page spread,  double page splash, cover page, unpublished page and a preliminary sketch page. What am I missing?

I would also like to get a color guide and matching OA page, where would be a good place to get these together?

On 6/21/2023 at 6:20 PM, Ducky13 said:

I am currently looking for a matching pencil only and separate inked page, what's the best way to locate these type of pages? ebay is sparce and most of the OA sites don't list them together.

What are the different types of pages? I have a panel page, half splash, full splash, title page, an end page, double page spread,  double page splash, cover page, unpublished page and a preliminary sketch page. What am I missing?

I would also like to get a color guide and matching OA page, where would be a good place to get these together?

Pencil and ink pages are difficult to find together since the pencilers and inkers tend to each keep their own pages. Likewise color guides kept by the colorist.

Other types of pages: Covers, pin ups, patch pages, lettercols, frontispiece, table of contents.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:20 PM, Ducky13 said:

I think your best bet would be to go to a company like Splash Page comic art and simply send an email to Mark Hay telling him of your specific need. Don’t be surprised if he asks whether the artist makes any difference or not. That was my curiosity about what you are doing.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:15 PM, RBerman said:

Pencil and ink pages are difficult to find together since the pencilers and inkers tend to each keep their own pages. Likewise color guides kept by the colorist.

Other types of pages: Covers, pin ups, patch pages, lettercols, frontispiece, table of contents.

I had once made a suggestion on these boards but was told it would be too hard to set up as a website. What I had envisioned was basically a giant expandable table in which a potential seller would post what he had, by title, volume, issue, and page, while then leaving his ID in a separate index. Anyone who had, say, the pencils to match the seller’s inks could post it next to the inks. That way, a potential buyer could match.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:20 AM, Ducky13 said:

You have a really good suggestion already regarding the pencils + inks. Splashpage Art has a few books with this available e.g. Gotham Central - https://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=36399&ArtistId=113&Details=1&Mag=Gotham+Central&From=TDetail - where you get everything done by the same artist. Walking Dead - https://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=28724&ArtistId=84&Details=1&Mag=Walking+Dead&From=TDetail - where you have pencils by one artist and inks by another.

The colour guide thing is really tricky. You could sign up for Comic Art Tracker https://comicarttracker.com/search?query=color-guide and search for that term to see what is out there... who knows you might find a match. I know that there are at least 3x colour guides out there on eBay for pages that I own, but I am not willing to pay $200+ for them when I could spend that elsewhere. The other thing is that you won't get colour guides for modern comics, because people just don't do them any more since the advent of digital colouring. That will make your search even harder. It's not impossible.

If you are interested in all aspects of comic book creation then you could also count lettering as another aspect. You might get a kick out of Todd Klein's blog and shop https://kleinletters.com/Blog/signed-prints/

Edited by Garf

On 6/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I think your best bet would be to go to a company like Splash Page comic art and simply send an email to Mark Hay telling him of your specific need. Don’t be surprised if he asks whether the artist makes any difference or not. That was my curiosity about what you are doing.

I have been looking for a matching set just to have a matched set. I missed an opportunity to pickup a Black Manta matched set a year or two ago. The page composition and price have more weight than the artist at this time. I would like to have an example of each type of OA within my collection which is why I am vetting opinions on the different types of OA so I can add these types to my portfolio. I will continue to search the major dealers, and CAF. I did see a set at FanExpo Dallas by Brent Peeples that renewed interest in finding a set.

Thanks for the info.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:17 PM, Ducky13 said:

I have been looking for a matching set just to have a matched set. I missed an opportunity to pickup a Black Manta matched set a year or two ago. The page composition and price have more weight than the artist at this time. I would like to have an example of each type of OA within my collection which is why I am vetting opinions on the different types of OA so I can add these types to my portfolio. I will continue to search the major dealers, and CAF. I did see a set at FanExpo Dallas by Brent Peeples that renewed interest in finding a set.

Thanks for the info.

Mark is very helpful.

Just curious if anyone knows how I can go about getting on Walt Simonson's commission list. I see a fair number of his commissions when I do searches on CAF (many from the last few years) and I'm a long time fan of his work (one I the many I sure...). I'm very happy to wait a lengthy period of time if necessary and I imagine it would likely be pricey. Grateful for thoughts/advice...

Thanks! 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, Noob19 said:

Just curious if anyone knows how I can go about getting on Walt Simonson's commission list. I see a fair number of his commissions when I do searches on CAF (many from the last few years) and I'm a long time fan of his work (one I the many I sure...). I'm very happy to wait a lengthy period of time if necessary and I imagine it would likely be pricey. Grateful for thoughts/advice...

Thanks! 

There are charity pieces, and he opened up a commission list during COVD, but otherwise I think it's at-con doodle drawings.

An actual Simonson Commission (in my definition, a full blown piece where you dictate what you want drawn) is rare. Only one comes to mind:

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1803301

The other finished pieces you see are ones he drew for charity auctions. Your best bet is to go for it in the secondary market when those are re-sold.

Malvin

There are a number of commissions from the 2017 Simonson dinner at SDCC. 

Click images for better pictures  

I received an Odin flashing his fancy head gear. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fa17e4fefe3f12207d85c27fd685e45b.jpeg

My wife got the best of show, IMHO, a magnificent Maleficent  

https://cafans.b-cdn.net/images/Category_10225/subcat_159807/Qvh611VS_061217135604lola.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

Many thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to just sit back and hope (pray?) one of his completed commissions/illustrations pops up for sale. (I now have saved searches on CAF, Heritage and Comiclink but pls feel free to PM me if you come across anything on the secondary market...)

On 8/4/2023 at 10:41 PM, Noob19 said:

Many thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to just sit back and hope (pray?) one of his completed commissions/illustrations pops up for sale. (I now have saved searches on CAF, Heritage and Comiclink but pls feel free to PM me if you come across anything on the secondary market...)

You should put on on Comic Art Tracker as well. 

This thread’s first post’s hidden text might be useful. 

Edited by alxjhnsn

Ya noob if your looking for a fully finished piece that likely your only option. But if your looking for a remark head shot pieces he does at cons. You can try for that if Walt swings your way. Or get on one of those op lists from art groups who are at a con Walt doing and all that.

Thanks. I really want a finished piece. I've seen the random Thor/BRB head shot come up on eBay over the last couple years, usually priced in the $300-$600 range. (I can't help but wonder what Walt charged...) but my heart is set on something more polished.

Thanks for the Comic Art Tracker suggestion. Using that engine I just found this one that I think is stellar (signed by Walt but inked by Scott Hanna). I think I'd prefer Walt's inks over his pencils though. I'm not sure if its appropriate to ask but is the price fair for the current market? 

https://www.nostalgicinvestments.com/comic-art/walt-simonson-thor-commission-signed

On 8/5/2023 at 7:38 AM, Noob19 said:

Thanks. I really want a finished piece. I've seen the random Thor/BRB head shot come up on eBay over the last couple years, usually priced in the $300-$600 range. (I can't help but wonder what Walt charged...) but my heart is set on something more polished.

Thanks for the Comic Art Tracker suggestion. Using that engine I just found this one that I think is stellar (signed by Walt but inked by Scott Hanna). I think I'd prefer Walt's inks over his pencils though. I'm not sure if its appropriate to ask but is the price fair for the current market? 

https://www.nostalgicinvestments.com/comic-art/walt-simonson-thor-commission-signed

That Thor piece seems to be appropriately priced when comparing to previous Thor-themed Simonson commissions/illustrations that sold at HA (with Simonson inking, however). The piece you are looking at is 8.5x14", where other larger pieces sold for $1000 more (with Simonson Inks, but less detail) to $2000 more (a combo piece with Hildebrandt but Simonson inks).

The Simonson/Hildebrandt commission that had an immense amount of detail that went for $6600 on HA, the piece you are looking at has great detail, and a interesting composition. With limited research and knowledge of Simonson work specifically, I'd say $4500 seems reasonable. And the fact the dealer hasn't doubled the previous recent auction data is surprising as well. I routinely have to pass up pieces on dealer sites because they are marked up 200%+ of market value, this doesn't seem to be the case in what you are looking at.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/21/2023 at 7:20 PM, Ducky13 said:

unfortunately there is no place for one stop shopping for art/guides. in over 20 years of collecting I think I may have seen a page with color guide pop up for sale once or twice. I happened to acquire color guides to several pages that I own but it really comes down to dumb luck and it took me many years to do it.  I bought some John Romita Jr. pages from Spencer Beck years ago and then some of the corresponding color guides appeared on Heritage 20 years later... so don't hold your breath, lol... One dealer that reps a few color artists and sells color guides (and where I was able to buy a couple of other guides to reunite with the published pages I already owned) is Scott Kress at catskillcomics.com.

a.thumb.jpg.26f6bb277e31e1001a67f1d9e5f4ef13.jpgb.thumb.jpg.186c384e68007917a0f3aa62e69554bb.jpg