• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

I'm still waiting for someone to define "QUALITY" for me. (shrug)

Because what I think it means is obviously different than what others think it means :tonofbricks:

Quality is stuff like Neal Adams Batman cover and slashes, Bernie Wrightson Swamp Thing cover/spalshes, Bolland Killing Joke pages, Frank Miller DD/ Dark Knight pages ect.. you get the idea. What did you think we meant? (shrug)

In my 15+ years of collecting OA I have never once had the desire to own a page from that list you provided.

And is this really the advice to new collectors? Buy Bolland, Wrightson, Frank Miller and only splashes and covers? There are THOUSANDS of great artists but only a small handful are "quality"?

I think art and music have a strong parallel where "popular" and "quality" are not always synonymous. I don't let anyone tell me what music I should like and I feel the same about the art I collect. I just took a browse through the latest CLink auction offerings and recognize quite a few "quality" pieces that have made the rounds from "NEW IN YOUR OA COLLECTION" to most viewed/commented on CAF and now on to CLink. The cycle of "quality" continues.

I just picked up a complete issue from an artist and I couldn't be happier. His name is unimportant to anyone but me, so I won't bother to mention it. But I will mention the price for all 38 pages and cover was a mere fraction of the other stuff mentioned. :cloud9:

Hey look, you asked and I gave you some examples, You go ahead and buy what you want, it ain't my $$$. What do I care if you throw you cash into a fire to keep you warm?

If you want to listen to Britney Spears or Justin Bieber and call it "quality music" you have every right to do so! But don't come on here and ask people what is good and what's not and blast them because you didn't like his of her answer.

Because what I think it means is obviously different than what others think it means :tonofbricks:

Quality is stuff like Neal Adams Batman cover and slashes, Bernie Wrightson Swamp Thing cover/spalshes, Bolland Killing Joke pages, Frank Miller DD/ Dark Knight pages ect.. you get the idea. What did you think we meant? (shrug)

In my 15+ years of collecting OA I have never once had the desire to own a page from that list you provided.

And is this really the advice to new collectors? Buy Bolland, Wrightson, Frank Miller and only splashes and covers? There are THOUSANDS of great artists but only a small handful are "quality"?

I think art and music have a strong parallel where "popular" and "quality" are not always synonymous. I don't let anyone tell me what music I should like and I feel the same about the art I collect. I just took a browse through the latest CLink auction offerings and recognize quite a few "quality" pieces that have made the rounds from "NEW IN YOUR OA COLLECTION" to most viewed/commented on CAF and now on to CLink. The cycle of "quality" continues.

I just picked up a complete issue from an artist and I couldn't be happier. His name is unimportant to anyone but me, so I won't bother to mention it. But I will mention the price for all 38 pages and cover was a mere fraction of the other stuff mentioned. :cloud9:

Hey look, you asked and I gave you some examples, You go ahead and buy what you want, it ain't my $$$. What do I care if you throw you cash into a fire to keep you warm?

If you want to listen to Britney Spears or Justin Bieber and call it "quality music" you have every right to do so! But don't come on here and ask people what is good and what's not and blast them because you didn't like his of her answer.

I'm not blasting you because of the answer. I'm more amused that any one person thinks they know the definition of "quality art." Because I think the definition is as varied as the collectors on these boards.

It's obvious our definitions are different since my version of quality is your equivalent of throwing cash into a fire. That is the point I was trying to make.

So, we agree after all :foryou:

I'm not blasting you because of the answer. I'm more amused that any one person thinks they know the definition of "quality art." Because I think the definition is as varied as the collectors on these boards.

It's obvious our definitions are different since my version of quality is your equivalent of throwing cash into a fire. That is the point I was trying to make.

You have to understand, Kevin's self-appointed mission in this thread is to play blowhard. He's done nothing to establish his credibility as a collector of "quality" art, other than toss out a list of what's pricy in established auctions. It's his game, and he feeds his own ego off of the reactions. It's really a little sad.

PM me with a link to your complete story -- I'd like to see it. Personally, I don't have any pieces from his "quality" list, but I get a lot of joy out of my collection. In the end, that's what matters.

You have to understand, Kevin's self-appointed mission in this thread is to play blowhard. He's done nothing to establish his credibility as a collector of "quality" art, other than toss out a list of what's pricy in established auctions. It's his game, and he feeds his own ego off of the reactions. It's really a little sad.

PM me with a link to your complete story -- I'd like to see it. Personally, I don't have any pieces from his "quality" list, but I get a lot of joy out of my collection. In the end, that's what matters.

I do have some great pieces that I don't parade them around because I don't need to show stuff off so i can get a "That's nice!" outta someone. You know nothing about me and besides what makes you such a "Credibility collector of quality art"? What have you done for the art community? I'm sure you get "a lot of joy" out of seeing other people's "art" .

I do have some great pieces that I don't parade them around because I don't need to show stuff off so i can get a "That's nice!" outta someone. You know nothing about me and besides what makes you such a "Credibility collector of quality art"? What have you done for the art community? I'm sure you get "a lot of joy" out of seeing other people's "art" .

Wow, skillful use of "quotes." I guess you told me. I suppose I haven't done anything for the art community -- I'm not even sure what you mean by that. We can end this now, Kevin. Just by saying you have "some great pieces," you have instantly earned credibility with me. (worship)

I've posted links to my gallery before -- I have no interest in cloistering my collection. It's not a David Mandel collection, but it's also not a pile of sketchcards. I'm happy with my small hoard, and, more importantly, I'm happy with my reasons and motivations for collecting and sharing my art. I'm willing to accept that we all have different reasons for participating in our hobby. Enjoy yours.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I think that sums up why one collector prefers one artist over another.

If you want to invest then you have the usual suspects to choose from, if you want to buy because you like a particular piece of art (for a multitude of reasons) then you've qualified as an appreciator of the artistic form (and you'll probably be creaking open pandora's box and spending most of you're waking hours searching for a new fix!)

As Clint Eastwood once said, " opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one ..."

whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy it

newbie here and i have some questions. apologies if these had been answered before but i was not able to find the answers in my first attempt in reading the other posts.

1. where to buy newer original art from juan jose ryp (clone) or francesco francivilla or travel foreman (animal man) or Yanick Paquette (swamp thing) or cullen bunn (sixth gun)? do they have an art dealer or they sell directly?

2. if i have a 2 page splash original art, what kind of tape can i use to connect the pages? can i just use those 3M scotch tapes? do i need to use acid free tapes? which brand does the job for cheap?

3. so i got this frame from ikea and the product specs indicate that the matt is acid-free. but is my understanding correct that the back board of the frame is still not acide free right? my plan is to replace the back board with an acid free board that i got from Micheals.

4. where can i buy archival paper (by the meter or pcs; not in bulk)?

5. where can i buy mylar sleeves for art pages?

Google will answer alot of these questions, but here is my quick attempt without google

1. Last time I check, Travel Foreman doesn't sell his art. Paquette is on CAF, the rest you can google.

2. Hmm.. I have never seen a DPS that was already not attached when I bought it (I have bought have a DPS before). If I had to tape it myself I would buy archival tape

3. I don't buy off the shelf frames so I can't comment.

4. Art paper? In 11x17? you can just buy artboard, google it

5. Once again, google will reveal lots of people, but the the last time I was looking, I call e-gerber had the cheapest prices

Malvin

1. have you tried google? I think a few will show up there.

2. it matters, spend the extra $2 other than than I really do not know. Why add anything? I myself just leave them as they are. I have one that is not taped and I just kinda lay them next to each other in the giant profolio

3. IDK

I buy stuff online at online store Blick or locally, at the college bookshop. I have also bought paper at The Kubert School store when they were in the old high school..

Edited by Bird

Seriously, I disagree. But only a little. Buy what you like and buy slightly above what you can reasonably afford. Go the extra mile and get that nicer one, even if it means Kool-aid and Ramen noodles for a month. Make time payments. But if it meets the first criteria, buy what you like, then buy the better one every time. If I could trade 25 $100 pieces for a $2500 piece or 10 $200 pieces for a $2000 one, I would do it today 2 or 3 times over. Do as I say, not as I do! Even now, I should probably buy one $3500 piece instead of going to NYCC next month and spending $3500 (if I can limit it to that. MAN do I get con fever something fierce.) But I won't. But I should. Just as I should be mowing the lawn instead of typing this.

Edited by Bird

Seriously, I disagree. But only a little. Buy what you like and buy slightly above what you can reasonably afford. Go the extra mile and get that nicer one, even if it means Kool-aid and Ramen noodles for a month. Make time payments. But if it meets the first criteria, buy what you like, then buy the better one every time. If I could trade 25 $100 pieces for a $2500 piece or 10 $200 pieces for a $2000 one, I would do it today 2 or 3 times over. Do as I say, not as I do! Even now, I should probably buy one $3500 piece instead of going to NYCC next month and spending $3500 (if I can limit it to that. MAN do I get con fever something fierce.) But I won't. But I should. Just as I should be mowing the lawn instead of typing this.

OK, I 'll throw my $0.02 in.

I think buy what you like. Once you figure out what that is! I've found even in the 1 1/2 years I have been buying stuff that my tastes have changed (I can't say matured, we're talking about comic book art!)

I think that I would be a lot more stressed if I had to sell 3 pages for 1k as opposed to 8-10 $100-$300 pages.

there will always be more people willing to spend $100 than people willing to spend $10k.

Now that I am starting to feel comfortable with what's going to be in my "wheelhouse" am I starting to lay out bigger $$ for pages.

The dollar range you travel in, and slightly above that obviously, is the biggest factor in this IMO for new collectors. I am now comfortable with spending $3-$4K for something once or twice a year, especially on time payments, but until recently I only had one piece at $2000 or above in my collection. Hundreds was my range for 20 years with the occasional $1250/$1500 piece. If you spend in the hundreds you can be more wild in your spending as you can move pieces more easily if they are quality.

And don't take too many chances with con sketches, make sure the product is quality before you sign up. Don't be impulsive signing up. think it over. The bad ones accumulate quickly. If you have doubt walk away and pay for a sure thing somewhere else. Or go buy a page instead.

some great advices/tips in this topic. i just bought my first OA a few weeks back and can't seem decide on how to approach my collecting. there's sooo much good art out there that I would like to have but finances are tight. so how does some of you control the impulse to buy? do you just buy art from your favorite artist - like do you just follow one/ two artists and buy a page of their latest project or do you just buy one item from each of your favorite artist? I am currently leaning of the former since this will be the cheaper route since I only have to follow 1-2 artists and they usually have one/two projects in a year. While the latter is more broad and covers multiple artists but the upside is you'll have great a variety in your collection.

some great advices/tips in this topic. i just bought my first OA a few weeks back and can't seem decide on how to approach my collecting. there's sooo much good art out there that I would like to have but finances are tight. so how does some of you control the impulse to buy? do you just buy art from your favorite artist - like do you just follow one/ two artists and buy a page of their latest project or do you just buy one item from each of your favorite artist? I am currently leaning of the former since this will be the cheaper route since I only have to follow 1-2 artists and they usually have one/two projects in a year. While the latter is more broad and covers multiple artists but the upside is you'll have great a variety in your collection.

I think that is something that you have to answer yourself, and it will evolve through time. I'm normally a very analytical person, but setting artificial rules is not the approach that I take, a lot of it is "feel". You may say that you only want 2 examples from each of your favorite artists and see additional pieces that you like to own (and can afford) or you say that you want to get as many examples as possible and after 10 feel that your needs are met and don't want any more.

Malvin

A collection theme and budget help.

I find I can - generally - pass up pieces that don't fit my theme especially since I try to keep to a budget.

One thing important to remember is that though each piece is unique, similar pieces do exist and will come around eventually.

Click the link under my signature to see what I've acquired.