• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous Monsters of Filmland
1 1

214 posts in this topic

That issue is almost always split! wonderful copy. It has to do with the paper stock & the mechanics of putting it together, it just broke. I have a friend in Canada that bought one from the stands , and the spine split within 1 month, I told her about that issue, and she thought it made perfect sense. All between 3 and 20 are tough to find unsplit, but that one seem especially tough for some reason.

Batko-- You always have the nicest FM's. I have to add in, I have seen or purchased about ten of these back in the 80's &90's and all but one had a split or at the very least the beginnings of the dreaded split.

Great buy Batko you must be happy!

Batko-- You always have the nicest FM's. I have to add in, I have seen or purchased about ten of these back in the 80's &90's and all but one had a split or at the very least the beginnings of the dreaded split.

Great buy Batko you must be happy!

Sorry for the late reply. I was suspended for the second time in the last few weeks for an alleged "political" post in the Water Cooler. They just released me from prison this morning! lol I'd better stick to FM posts and not voice an opinion about anything or else they will suspend me again or kick me out of here!

Regarding FM #20, even the NOSTOMANIA on-line catalogue has a warning that "This issue is rarely found without a split spine." I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to afford this one, because every time a #20 with a good spine comes up for auction the bidders seem to go nuts.

Back on December 25, 2011, eBay auction #230711645384 a FM #20 in, perhaps, a bit higher grade than mine sold for $2,550!!! I remember this one because there were around 5 bidders (maybe more), but all but 2 dropped out of the bidding when the price hit around $500 or $600. The two kept butting heads until one of them won the mag for that hefty price tag!

I was lucky with my auction. There was only one other bidder and, apparently, he did not understand the ramifications of a FM #20 without a split spine. The start price was 100 bucks and I wound up paying $204 including shipping.

There was a FM #4 Ghoul's Eye Variant that I recommended to my list members in my yahoo FM group. I couldn't recommend it here because I was on my first suspension. Anyway, the seller had it up for a $350 starting price which was more than reasonable for a start on an issue like this. It had some defects, but all in all was not in too bad shape. I'd give it a 5.0 - VG+/F-. Anyway, the seller did not really know what he had and got antsy after 2 days when no one bid. He changed the listing to a $400 Buy It Now and someone grabbed it faster than Linda Blair's head spun around in the "Exorcist."

Check it out at the following link to my FM group:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fans_of_Famous_Monsters_of_Filmland/

It is the third post down "Decent Copy of FM #4 Ghoul's Eye Sticker Variant Up For Auction."

You guys should join my Fans of Famous Monsters of Filmland yahoo group. It is not very active on a day to day basis, but when I see something that looks like a good buy I let my members know about it (unless it's an issue that I need! lol).

- Mike

Edited by Batko

I think I've been bit by the magazine bug...

I never read FM as a kid, but last week I found a reader copy on ebay of issue 52 - Johnathan Frid as Barnabas Collins cover - and picked it up on a whim. Loved the stories and articles. Even though I didn't read it, it takes me back to being 12 and watching classic era monster movies.

Just bought another Barnabas cover mag - Monsters of the Movies 3 - and now I'm eyeing copies of FM 59 and 82. Affordable books that fit my collecting interest. Can't beat that.

I think I've been bit by the magazine bug...

I never read FM as a kid, but last week I found a reader copy on ebay of issue 52 - Johnathan Frid as Barnabas Collins cover - and picked it up on a whim. Loved the stories and articles. Even though I didn't read it, it takes me back to being 12 and watching classic era monster movies.

Just bought another Barnabas cover mag - Monsters of the Movies 3 - and now I'm eyeing copies of FM 59 and 82. Affordable books that fit my collecting interest. Can't beat that.

I've got a few issues of FM on sale on eBay. Check out this auction - it is an inexpensive auction for a mid-grade copy of the FM 1965 Yearbook and it might fit your pocketbook. I don't think it is going to go for very much. You can also check my other ones by clicking on "Other Items" on this FMs auction page.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMOUS-MONSTERS-OF-FILMLAND-1965-YRBK-Warren-Publishing-Horror-Magazine-/130848608649?pt=Magazines&hash=item1e772f5189

Mike

My FM #20 which I won last week in an eBay auction arrived today. Go to the following link to see pics and read a short description. - Mike

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fans_of_Famous_Monsters_of_Filmland/message/377

Damn I wanted that one!!! I just don't spend enough time on the computer to snipe auctions and I never got any sniping software. (Probably just as well - living on a fixed income can be a drag...).

In any event, congrats again (# 7 trilogy being the most recent)!!!

I decide to stop at #32 which was the last issue I intended to buy, but never bought until many years later. About half of my 1-32 are original purchases...

My FM #20 which I won last week in an eBay auction arrived today. Go to the following link to see pics and read a short description. - Mike

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fans_of_Famous_Monsters_of_Filmland/message/377

Damn I wanted that one!!! I just don't spend enough time on the computer to snipe auctions and I never got any sniping software. (Probably just as well - living on a fixed income can be a drag...).

In any event, congrats again (# 7 trilogy being the most recent)!!!

I decide to stop at #32 which was the last issue I intended to buy, but never bought until many years later. About half of my 1-32 are original purchases...

I looked for a long time for that #20. The last one I saw in this condition with a virtually pristine spine was about a year ago. Unfortunately, it went for $2,550 when two i diots decided to butt heads over it (the mag wasn't even CGC graded and slabbed - it was just like the one I picked up).

Here's a question for you. What is "sniping" software??? ??? I usually just watch an auction and then bid in the last 5-6 seconds with the maximum that I would be willing to pay. If I win with that amount or less I'm happy. If somebody is bidding more than me God bless them! I won't butt heads no matter how much I want an item. It's just throwig money away and overpaying.

- Mike

Edited by Batko

There's a store here called Nickscomics and on the website,there's a nice pic of a few FM's.Number 13 and number 47 which i first thought to be number 10 since its the same cover.I called him and he said number 13 is around 40 bucks.

Dagnabbit.

Only open from Thursday to Sunday,so i'll go check the quality then.

There's a store here called Nickscomics and on the website,there's a nice pic of a few FM's.Number 13 and number 47 which i first thought to be number 10 since its the same cover.I called him and he said number 13 is around 40 bucks.

Dagnabbit.

Only open from Thursday to Sunday,so i'll go check the quality then.

In baseball pitching its "location," "location," "location." With collecting FMs, stamps, etc. it's "condition," condition," "condition." Make sure the mags are in a condition that you can live with.

FM #13's cover has an interesting story behind it. Gogos thought that what he did was just a draft copy. Jim Warren loved it and used it as is. Forry Ackerman hated the cover. Personally, I side with Forry. In my opinion, FM #13 has to be one of the ugliest, if not the ugliest cover, FM ever put out!

Mike

Indeed.It was an off-day for Basil.

Maybe i have to start my collection with the ugliest cover and then it's nowhere but up. lol

I was looking at that FM 9 you're selling.

First Gogos cover.

mmmmmm.

Did you happen to catch i wasa the one who bought that Gathering horror book from mrwoogieman ?

I received it a few days ago.

Mindboggling.Copy 296 out of 300.

Can't believe my luck on that one.

Here's a question for you. What is "sniping" software??? ??? I usually just watch an auction and then bid in the last 5-6 seconds with the maximum that I would be willing to pay. If I win with that amount or less I'm happy. If somebody is bidding more than me God bless them! I won't butt heads no matter how much I want an item. It's just throwig money away and overpaying.

- Mike

Sniping software is basically a mechanism to avoid bidding up an item. You put your max bid into the software/website, and during the last seconds of the auction your max bid is placed.

I just grabbed a presentable low grade copy of FM 22 off of ebay(from Jerry Weist's collection). I've always wanted a complete run of FM. Talk about nostalgia. FM was scarce in my neighborhood, but the drugstore near my grandmother's house always had it, and it was a special treat to get an issue.

Same here.

One little depanneur run by one little very old lady.

And her 17 cats.The place was literally called Black cat.

It was funny to me how she had decided that among the 30 or 40 magazines for women,she thought of the kids and had one monster magazine and 1 Starlog.

Her being old,the 17 cats,and monster magazine always made my imagination dream up she was a 500 year-old witch keeping a low profile.

But a nice old witch.

And i always thought she would sometimes let a slip go by and tell me of missed opportunities with Nosferatu or something when i bought the magazine to pay for it.

She never did.

Thanks Mrs Black cat for setting me on that road of monsters and space travel.