• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous Monsters of Filmland
1 1

214 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Great cover, but monster is more funny than scary 🤣🤣🤪😷😂😂

They censored the episode when it hit the airwaves so the monster wasn't seen on account of it scaring the children. Was scary for its time. 

9 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

Yes this one in real life looks more scary , I can see how it would scare kids in those days🥴😷

Yes thing were different back then for sure. Case in point, this movie “ Terror from.the year 5,000” when I watched it as a kid on tv, the woman mutant scared me so much that I had to cover my eyes! When I was older I remembered how the movie scared me so much and had to watch it again. I laughed so much at what had scared me back then and felt a little embarrassed. Movies have certainly gotten more graphic and realistic over the years where we get much more desensitized to the images! :preach:

FE8CED38-3281-4253-9428-D833F4D27D48.jpeg

4776A8CC-82E5-4BA4-A482-2F306E1A6AE9.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Yes thing were different back then for sure. Case in point, this movie “ Terror from.the year 5,000” when I watched it as a kid on tv, the woman mutant scared me so much that I had to cover my eyes! When I was older I remembered how the movie scared me so much and had to watch it again. I laughed so much at what had scared me back then and felt a little embarrassed. Movies have certainly gotten more graphic and realistic over the years where we get much more desensitized to the images! :preach:

FE8CED38-3281-4253-9428-D833F4D27D48.jpeg

4776A8CC-82E5-4BA4-A482-2F306E1A6AE9.jpeg

I re-watched "The Tingler" and it STILL made me uneasy .... but I didn't wet my pants this time. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

26 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I re-watched "The Tingler" and it STILL made me uneasy .... but I didn't wet my pants this time. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Interesting fact regarding The Tingler. When the movie was originally released, some theaters had random seats wired up with a vibrating buzzer. At certain points in the movie, Vincent Price would say something like “Watch out for the Tingler!” and the chairs would vibrate and scare the moviegoers! :insane:

5 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

CB1E8F99-6885-41B3-BA99-46C88F479124.jpeg.10646201fffd0f0838f62f2c87e861b6.jpeg

The irony is that while yes, for a small child that monster is scary, it’s everything leading up to the monster reveal that’s disturbing.  I didn’t see this episode until I was an adult and I found it uncomfortable. 

If you let your kid watch everything up until the monster I think the “damage” was already done. 

Edited by Number 6

17 hours ago, Number 6 said:

The irony is that while yes, for a small child that monster is scary, it’s everything leading up to the monster reveal that’s disturbing.  I didn’t see this episode until I was an adult and I found it uncomfortable. 

If you let your kid watch everything up until the monster I think the “damage” was already done. 

I want to watch it now, I will see if it is available on Youtube☝️😷

19 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

The Outer Limits had some very chilling episodes.  If you haven't seen them, I highly recommend checking them out.  There's an episode starring Robert Duvall that still makes me very uncomfortable...

Now I want to see that episode too , I will search for Robert Duvall - Outer Limits episodes

On 5/29/2021 at 10:15 PM, Jayman said:

6BB0DBF1-4A43-401A-BAFA-670B4B6385B9.jpeg

I just stumbled across an eBay listing for ‘63 TV Guide that has a picture of the prop in color. 

7583906C-C668-4B74-B479-8EB5F70F3A50.jpeg.ce02bd633b5b83a175098ef9a8f255f0.jpeg

edit to add:  looks like this is the photo referenced in the above newspaper, maybe it’s the photo that got stations nervous about airing those scenes. 

Edited by Number 6

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I just stumbled across an eBay listing for ‘63 TV Guide that has a picture of the prop in color. 

7583906C-C668-4B74-B479-8EB5F70F3A50.jpeg.ce02bd633b5b83a175098ef9a8f255f0.jpeg

Cool, so the coloring wasn’t too far off on the FM cover. (thumbsu

FMOF # 26.JPG

Has anyone ever seen King Kong on the cover of any magazine prior to FMOF #6? I haven’t had any luck finding anything. Curious to see if FMOF #6 is the first time Kong appears on a magazine cover. Thanks for any insight!

john

On 7/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, bronze johnny said:

Has anyone ever seen King Kong on the cover of any magazine prior to FMOF #6? I haven’t had any luck finding anything. Curious to see if FMOF #6 is the first time Kong appears on a magazine cover. Thanks for any insight!

john

Interesting. One would think a pic or a mention on some magazine cover would exist since 1933 till then but all I found was this pic from an interior page of a 1933 magazine (title not mentioned) that sold on Heritage back in 2008.

FE3C9D4F-F4A9-462E-9CD1-C9E4A596B388.jpeg

On 7/26/2021 at 10:21 AM, Rip said:

This one might be the oldest. Not quite sure.

KingKongmag.jpg

Cool cover! Was that a Canadian only publication? Trying to figure out if Kong appeared in a mag that would also cover the U.S.

I have researched from the film’s release in 1933 to FMOF and have found no feature or cover on Kong in any U.S. magazine publication. Right now it’s safe to say that FMOF #6 is Kong’s first ever appearance in a U.S. published magazine. I will continue to look to see if this remains true.

On 12/10/2012 at 10:20 PM, Batko-migration said:

Rarity in descending order:

FM 6 with MT GRAVES STICKER (only about 5 known legitimate copies exist)

FM 4 with GHOUL'S EYE STICKER (only distributed in Philadelphia. VERY rare in ANY condition!)

FM 4 regular issue.

FM 3

However, the HOLY GRAIL is FM 7 with the LUCKY 7

stamp on one of the interior pages. 100-200 copies were stamped with a lucky 7 on one of the pages. The reader would cut out the page and mail it back to FM for a free lifetime subscription to the magazine. No copies have ever been found, probably because of the requirement to send in the page.

Interestingly, FM 1 has the largest printing of all Warren FMs and is quite common, yet people pay big money for that issue.

Just curious...sent and waiting back from CGC grading on a # 7 and others, do you think CGC graders know about this "Lucky 7" variant? First I've heard of it and now that I'm going to get back a sealed item,,, I'll never know. lol