• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page count resource?

18 posts in this topic

Is there a resource somewhere out there in the ether that one can access to detemine how many pages a particular GA book should have? For example, I am looking at a lo grade Crack Comics #22 that the seller contends has 56 pages; however, the seller also says "it looks like the centerfold may be missing...." I have asked him to clarify (32, 48, 56 or 64 seem to be the norm for GA), but would like an independent source.

Thanks!

Read Mark Wilson's article about pg count in golden age comics. May be archived at www.pgcmint.com. It was originally written, published, & distributed as part of his mail order catalog World's Finest Collectibles fr Castle Rock, WA.

Timelys had the weirdest pg counts during the war. Rationing of newsprint caused some comics to be ODD # pg count.

Nope, my father odin. Thou have failed your bethren again! No article on his website. Boy, I hate his website. Can't even browse by alphabet! mad.gif

There was a book that was printed on page counts. It is called Howard Keltner's Index to Golden Age Comic Books. This book is very helpful and rather useful. A second edition was produced a few years back, but the sad part is the book was not something you can buy from a major publisher as it was printed in a small print run. Your best bet is to start looking at shows, etc.

Howard Keltner's Index to Gold. Complete listings of contents & cvr features over over 180 titles. Every publisher fr previous zine First Heroic Age of Comics w/ spcl addendum by J Bails. Dealer discounts orig avail fr Jerry Bails (Detroit, MI) back in 1977.

The Revised Edition of Howard Keltner's Golden Age Comic Books Index 1935-1955 is truly indispensible for the Golden Age collector. This Revised Edition is the one from 1998, and much superior to the mid-1970's first edition. The Revised Edition has the page counts (and feature contents) for virtually every super-hero comic published up until 1955. Amazing! The Revised Edition is almost 400 pages in length.

Unfortunately I have no idea where to obtain a copy. Howard did indeed pass away in July 1998. The Revised Edition has an In Memorium written by Bill Schelly of Hamster Press, so you might try that route. I got my copy from Howard's editor as noted in CBG at the time. Unfortunately I have no record of who/where that was.

Finally, someone posted about getting a PDF version. You should feel free to distribute that if you wish: I quote from the copyright page of my paper copy: "All rights reserved, but permission is granted to reproduce all or any part of the contents of this work, EXCEPT for purposes of resale for profit. No - no."

Thanks Howard. We're indebted to your memory.

Cheers,

Z.

According to Howard Keltner's book, Crack Comics 22 has 68 pages (Howard includes both sides of the front/back covers in his page counts). The book you mention is therefore missing more than just the centerfold.

Cheers,

Z.

Has anyone mentioned The Grand Comics Database? That's the first place I go to get writer, artist, etc info. According to the GCD, that Crack Comics # 22 has 64 pages. Now, it doesn't exactly say that, but if you add all the story page counts together, you get 64. Add in the two covers and you get 68, like Zonker said!