• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it open season for CGC to grade any magazine?
2 2

107 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

If I didn't know the origin and pedigree of the one I own I wouldn't want to take a chance on an Eerie 1 ashcan either.

You have clear provenance and that makes a huge difference.  But I think you'll agree that most other copies wouldn't have anything like what you have with yours.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:49 PM, oakman29 said:

If I didn't know the origin and pedigree of the one I own I wouldn't want to take a chance on an Eerie 1 ashcan either.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, The Lions Den said:

I assume you've talked with Nerv about this? He's very knowledgeable...   (thumbsu

On 2/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yes, we have.  Brett feels pretty confident that he has the criteria to tell and he may be correct.  However, the problem that I've stated is that no one that was actually there at time of printing is available to give criteria for verification.  And the statements by Jim Warren in interviews, ads, and other venues are inconsistent.  Add to that the fact that the production quality being so low, it is perhaps, one of the easiest pieces of ephemera to counterfeit.

Too much confusion.  I don't find it worth the trouble and I would personally never feel comfortable stating that a copy is 100% legitimate.  Therefore, I consider it to be not  a Warren magazine.  It may be an ashcan or some other production related artifact.  But it's not a magazine.

Since we all have hashed this around a bit would it be helpful in the future if instead of posting what is an original I started a thread with scans of what isn’t an original? I’m a bit disappointed that one auction house it was brought to my attention sold a clearly counterfeit copy recently and then the Clink recent listing I made fun of for their lack of confidence.

My thinking on the topic is if people start seeing what a counterfeit actually looks like it may help them to at least identify the fakes. Also I’m thinking I should include the original counterfeit the blue staple copy.

This topic seems to make the rounds here and I’ve certainly been guilty of raising the subject.

A thread about fakes should be less controversial I’m thinking and probably more helpful?

Thoughts from the magazine squad here?

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Since we all have hashed this around a bit would it be helpful in the future if instead of posting what is an original I started a thread with scans of what isn’t an original? I’m a bit disappointed that one auction house it was brought to my attention sold a clearly counterfeit copy recently and then the Clink recent listing I made fun of for their lack of confidence.

My thinking on the topic is if people start seeing what a counterfeit actually looks like it may help them to at least identify the fakes. Also I’m thinking I should include the original counterfeit the blue staple copy.

This topic seems to make the rounds here and I’ve certainly been guilty of raising the subject.

A thread about fakes should be less controversial I’m thinking and probably more helpful?

Thoughts from the magazine squad here?

I agree , a very good idea Nerv.

1 hour ago, stippy52 said:

The motion has been seconded and passed. 
Continue.  

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I agree , a very good idea Nerv.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I fully support this idea!   :popcorn:

Ok. Got some personal stuff to take care of In the short term but I’ll start forming some idea of how to present such a thread with info. and some scans.