• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 11 GA Acquisitions of 2011. Post 'em if you got 'em.

424 posts in this topic

# 10: Dear Beatrice Fairfax # 6 (CGC 8.0) Just another airbrush cover by one Alex Schomburg, his small run of airbrush covers on this off-beat Romance title remains remains elusive to Schomburg cover collectors like myself. Oh, you can find them, just never in high grade. If anyone has a real nice # 7, I'm your guy if you decide to sell! :hi:

DBF6CGC80.jpg

# 9: Sensation Comics # 102 (CGC 9.2 Crippen). Absolute beautiful copy of a super tough, near-end-of-run comic. I love the late Sensations, as they are a snapshot into how the super-hero genre had begun to shift in the late 40s and early 50s towards the better selling subject matter of the day like horror/suspense (Captain America's Weird Tales) or, in this case, Romance stories. If I have a single regret about picking up this book, its that I didn't bid more aggressively on its cousin, # 104, also from the Crippen Collection, when they came up for sale in the November Comiclink Auction. I'm pretty sure I saw the book on eBay in Mark Wilson's listings for a day or two before it disappeared, likely into the black hole of a substantial, long-term collection. :Sigh:

Sensation102CGC92.jpg

S

Considering I haven't been around the GA Forum much lately (or the Boards as a whole), I'd like to take this Friday night to be a little self-indulgant and post my own Top-11 from 2011, one at a time.

Howdy stranger! :hi:

# 8: Thrilling Comics # 63 (CGC 9.2, File Copy). If you polled most collectors on what were Schomburg's Top Ten Airbrush covers, you'd be hard pressed to find a single list that didn't include Thrilling Comics # 63. It's Schomburg Airbrush mastery at his finest. If I wasn't fortunate enough to already own the Okajima copy (also a 9.2, but with better page quality), this book would probably be higher on my list. I guess its good to hang onto the occasional dupe.

Thrilling63CGC92File.jpg

S

Considering I haven't been around the GA Forum much lately (or the Boards as a whole), I'd like to take this Friday night to be a little self-indulgant and post my own Top-11 from 2011, one at a time.

Howdy stranger! :hi:

Ah, the proud Papa himself. :hi:

# 7: Startling Comics # 51 (CGC 9.0) Not one of my favorite Schomburg airbrush covers, but a neccessity if you want to complete the mini run from 48-53, which I was fortunate enough to do last year. Another copy purchased from Mr. Yee at a very fair price. I think I owe that man a lunch at Mega-Con.

Startling51cgc90.jpg

# 6: Marines in Battle # 1 (CGC 9.2) Atlas war isn't hot. Its not in vogue, and frankly, very few people collect it. Thank goodness! It's hard enough finding a # 1 Atlas War issue in Near Mint with great page quality when there isn't a hoard of people out there competing for it.

MarinesInAction1CGC92.jpg

# 4: Wonder Comics # 7 (CGC 8.0). I don't know what it is, but you just never see Wonder Comics # 6 or # 7 in high grade, like, ever. Which is a shame, because they are both awesome covers. So, imagine my surprise when I spotted this beauty on the Metro website early last Summer.

WonderComics7CGc80.jpg

# 3 Captain America Comics # 78 (CGC 8.5) Not only is this Captain America's last printed comic book appearance until the Silver Age, but this particular example was also Romita Sr.'s personal copy. Somehow in 2011, I really got a bug for Atomic-Age final appearances. The Bethlehem copy of Sub-Mariner # 42 sold on eBay late last year, and I didn't pursue it aggressively (i.e, it went too cheap). Too bad, because in hindsight, they would've made a great bookend pair of final appearances for two of Marvel/Timely's great Golden Age characters.

Cap78CGC85.jpg

# 2B: Sensation Comics # 106 (CGC 9.0) Let me let you in on a little secret: I absolutely love this book! Last Wonder Woman appearance in the title. Tough black cover which makes it near impossible in high grade. What's not to like? Too bad my bids were destroyed the first two times it appeared in a Heritage Signature auction (in 2006 and 2009, where it sold for $2,900 and $2,400 respectively). Guess third time's the charm, because it found a new permanent home in my collection for much less. Collecting GA has sure taught me the value of patience....if you can't buy it today, it will all but certainly resurface later. And on rare occasions, it might even be cheaper!

Sensation105CGC90.jpg

# 2A: Startling Comics # 49 (CGC 9.0) So, if you're wondering why there are two books at # 2 on my list...its because I apparently can't count, and picked 12 books for my Top-11 of 2011 list. As for this particular book, it really doesn't need a long-winded introduction from me at all, does it? :whistle:

startling49cgc90-1.jpg

# 1: Exciting Comics # 58 (CGC 9.4 Double Cover) Every blue moon, you find a comic that really Startles, Thrills, and Excites you. Its the reason we scour shows for hours on end, because we believe there is at least one treasure out there waiting to be unearthed. I found this book in Harley Yee's wall at Mega-Con....it was priced....optimistically, but fairly, considering it was a raw, high grade Double Cover copy of a very desireable Schomburg airbrush cover. For whatever reason, no one had snagged it on set-up night, or for better part of the morning on Friday. When I first glanced at the second cover, I thought for sure my eyes were playing tricks as it was near perfect in every way. Needless to say, it went to a good home where it will be cherished for years to come.

Exciting58CGC94.jpg

# 2A: Startling Comics # 49 (CGC 9.0) So, if you're wondering why there are two books at # 2 on my list...its because I apparently can't count, and picked 12 books for my Top-11 of 2011 list. As for this particular book, it really doesn't need a long-winded introduction from me at all, does it? :whistle:

startling49cgc90-1.jpg

old label too ................... superb!

# 2B: Sensation Comics # 106 (CGC 9.0) Let me let you in on a little secret: I absolutely love this book! Last Wonder Woman appearance in the title. Tough black cover which makes it near impossible in high grade. What's not to like? Too bad my bids were destroyed the first two times it appeared in a Heritage Signature auction (in 2006 and 2009, where it sold for $2,900 and $2,400 respectively). Guess third time's the charm, because it found a new permanent home in my collection for much less. Collecting GA has sure taught me the value of patience....if you can't buy it today, it will all but certainly resurface later. And on rare occasions, it might even be cheaper!

Sensation105CGC90.jpg

extremely tough book in any grade :cloud9:

startling49cgc90-1.jpg

(worship) (worship) (worship)

# 9: Sensation Comics # 102 (CGC 9.2 Crippen). Absolute beautiful copy of a super tough, near-end-of-run comic. I love the late Sensations, as they are a snapshot into how the super-hero genre had begun to shift in the late 40s and early 50s towards the better selling subject matter of the day like horror/suspense (Captain America's Weird Tales) or, in this case, Romance stories. If I have a single regret about picking up this book, its that I didn't bid more aggressively on its cousin, # 104, also from the Crippen Collection, when they came up for sale in the November Comiclink Auction. I'm pretty sure I saw the book on eBay in Mark Wilson's listings for a day or two before it disappeared, likely into the black hole of a substantial, long-term collection. :Sigh:

Sensation102CGC92.jpg

Sensational copy of a very cool book :applause: