• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackstar...now adding bad taste to lobotomy pricing...

174 posts in this topic

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse I saw this today.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-38-CGC-SS-9-8-JERRY-ROBINSON-/250929734430?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a6c93e31e

Within a couple hours of the official reports hitting the wire about Jerry Robinson's death the price of the book was altered and this was included in the auction text.

Jerry Robinson, Godfather of a Comic-Book Villain, Dies at 89

Jerry Robinson, a prolific comic-book artist, comics historian and editorial cartoonist who is credited with having created the Joker, the archenemy of Batman with devilish eyes and ghoulish smile, died on Wednesday at a hospice on Staten Island. He was 89 and lived in Manhattan R.I.B.

It's just in' macabre. It wasn't enough to jack the sale's price as soon as he saw that he died, he had to jam it home in the auction description for anyone that might have missed it. So Classy.

What an individual_without_enough_empathy!

Jerry Robinson, Godfather of a Comic-Book Villain, Dies at 89

Jerry Robinson, a prolific comic-book artist, comics historian and editorial cartoonist who is credited with having created the Joker, the archenemy of Batman with devilish eyes and ghoulish smile, died on Wednesday at a hospice on Staten Island. He was 89 and lived in Manhattan R.I.B.

R.I.B.? Did he actually misspell R.I.P.???doh!

I have always seen this in bad taste, you can do whatever you want.. Yes.. You are entitled, I am also entitled to say how messed up you are and never buy from you. C'mon!!!! Two days after he died he adds that fact to his auction to "sweeten" the deal... Very a'la Crepe, since we're not allowed to put c before rap..

Yea, it says RIB. Maybe he was hungry at the time. Is the McRib still back? Maybe he saw the commercial and typed it wrong.

Rest In Benjamins.....which is what he hoped to receive.

Why the surprise? It happens every time a celeb passes. It's not just him. I caught grief on here when I made the comment about how fast Frazetta stuf would be popping up shortly after his death. (shrug)

When a celeb passes people may sell a piece or a book, discreetly or with some respect.

They may not remove a listing that's already active.

Most people might find that mildly distasteful or just a little macabre.

Then you've got the other side of that coin.

Some guys jack the price.

Some guys use their death as a marketing tool...in BIG BOLD LETTER$

It's all in how you do it. Some people see the death as a moment to show respect, some as a way to cash in before the body's even cold.

Really, all in how you do it.

Has anyone ever meet this Blackstar in person at a con?

:popcorn:

I think a couple of folks have, and he gets his books done through a couple of known facilitators.

I heard she is an outspoken advocate of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, educated at Yale in Civil Economics, she's had two run-ins with well-known political analysts concerning the walfare of the socio-economic crisis in Darfhur, owns three comics book stores in West Harlem, and has been a sindicated advice columnist for the Washington post (where it is said she got fired for having a fling with the "bagel boy"). There is much more to her story, but that's pretty much all I heard from very credible sources at "Juan's panaderia and meat market."

I heard she is an outspoken advocate of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, educated at Yale in Civil Economics, she's had two run-ins with well-known political analysts concerning the walfare of the socio-economic crisis in Darfhur, owns three comics book stores in West Harlem, and has been a sindicated advice columnist for the Washington post (where it is said she got fired for having a fling with the "bagel boy"). There is much more to her story, but that's pretty much all I heard from very credible sources at "Juan's panaderia and meat market."

:screwy:

:screwy:

I hear you brother..that's what I said, crazy...

The real question is has anyone ever purchased any of his $$$ wares? :popcorn:

He stole a SS stan lee book from me. Paypal sided with me and gave me my money back, but he still got away with it.

They are definitely doing CGC SS and creators a disservice. I just spoke with a GA artist about getting some of my books signed. He mentioned that he is very reluctant to do any signatures these days after hearing from his children that Blackstar is trying to sell one of his comics for over $60K. He doesn't want to see his signature exploited like that. I feel bad that he feels this way.

Does anyone have similar experiences with other artists/creators who are reluctant to sign books because they feel that people like Blackstar have exploited them?