• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU OWN

1,214 posts in this topic

Ace,

Where did you buy that SS#4 from?

Bought it raw from my LCS some years ago. Shop owner is very tight with his grading overall. His grade for it was VF/NM. I also bought my raw Surfer #1 from him that he also graded VF/NM and it came back with that grade from CGC when I sent it in. That one turned out thankfully unrestored. smile.gif

Ace,

Any idea what a SS#4, CGC 9.4 unrestored would retail for? Given that it is one of the most sought after covers of all time I take it this book could command $2,000+? I have never seen one for sale. confused-smiley-013.gif

I sold mine for around $800+ a few years ago. Book is pretty common in that grade so I wouldn't imagine that it will reach any significant amount higher at this time.

I'm having difficulty with this topic as I tend only to think of books that I have yet to aquire as my Grails. Once I get a copy of a book that has been in my top 5 wants, something else replaces it - what we don't have is often more desirable than what we do - the neverending cycle of this sad addiction called "collecting".

While the following books are not necessarily my five favorite books, they all were at one time top grails, and were very satisfying to finally aquire. All are low to mid-grade copies

Captain America 74

Catman 20

Human Torch 12

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories 11

Weird Mysteries 5

I might list a different five on another day, but all these would still be in my top 10

For me, the top five grails are:

Avengers #4 cgc 7.5

Amazing Spider-Man #14 cgc 8.5

Fantastic Four #48 cgc 9.0

House of Secrets #92 cgc 8.0

Albedo #2 cgc 9.0

There are tons of others, but I searched high and low for each of these issues.

Jeff

Tomega,

Very nice set of books. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, it is difficult to narrow it down to 5. Believe it or not, I personally feel that the Star Trek 1 variant in 9.0 or higher is the hardest to find out of all those books. Metropolis has one for $900 that I have been looking at. It is a bit over priced but - I might make them an offer next month.

I know what you mean I had to leave off a couple of my favorites, TTA 93 & 100. I have these in relatively high grade (raw) but there are a few sites that have these for sale in very high grade (slabbed) and I have been tempted to pick them up. Hopefully they will still be around for another month or so because I will pick them up. This thread has more legs than I thought it would. Keep those grails coming.

Amazing Spider-Man #14 CGC 9.0

Avengers #1 CGC 8.5

Daredevil #1 CGC 8.0

Strange Tales #110 CGC 8.5

Tales of Suspense #38 (wish it was #39) CGC 9.6 (my oldest 9.6)

All of these were bought unslabbed many years ago and submitted by me to CGC.

Sfilosa,

What a thrill to have purchased and held on to a bunch of great books for so long and for probably fractions of what they are worth now. I get excited when I look at the X-Men #112 that I bought off the rack is still in decent (but not excellent frown.gif) condition after all these years. thumbsup2.gif

FF,

Didn't you pick up the 9.6 #16 from ComicLink a few months back? Or am I getting my books confused? confused-smiley-013.gif

It was the 14! confused-smiley-013.gif

Cool thread. My current top 5

FF #1 VF resto'd

FF #27 NM+

FF #48 NM

Batman #232 NM+

X-Men #6 NM

Hopefully to soon be in my top 5 is Silver Surfer #4 NM or better and Brave and Bold #93 NM or better. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm having difficulty with this topic as I tend only to think of books that I have yet to aquire as my Grails.

That's also been my problem with figuring out exactly how to respond to this thread. So I'll just retroactively try to remember what was a grail at the time, and yet still seems pretty cool today. (I'll spare y'all the anguish of my 11-year-old self looking for JLA 107, having only read part 2 in JLA 108!)

1. Green Lantern 76 in VF (purchased from Howard Rogofsky in the late 1970s)

2. Worlds Finest 7 in CGC 3.5 (one of a half-dozen slabs I've liberated! insane.gif)

3. & 4. (tie) Star-Spangled 15, 16 in G/VG (these finished my Simon & Kirby run, and they both popped up on eBay within a month of each other last year!) thumbsup2.gif

5. All-Star Comics 38 in VG-

Ace,

Any idea what a SS#4, CGC 9.4 unrestored would retail for? Given that it is one of the most sought after covers of all time I take it this book could command $2,000+? I have never seen one for sale. confused-smiley-013.gif

I sold mine for around $800+ a few years ago. Book is pretty common in that grade so I wouldn't imagine that it will reach any significant amount higher at this time.

ComicLink had a CGC 9.4 a while back that I thought about going for around $900. I just took a look at his site and the best copy he has up is 9.2.

I'd suggest if you are looking for this book to check out Heritage. Checking through their past auction archives show about a half-dozen listings for that book ranging from $800-1200.

I'd have to agree, that "scarce" Overstreet designation wasn't supported by either the census or the availability of that book at shows. The book is definitely available. I'd suggest calling some of the advertisers out of the Overstreet. I'll bet you can find a copy. A quick check of Metropolis, pgcmint.com and pcei.com didn't find one. But I'd bet you can locate one without too much trouble. If I come across one while I'm net-shopping I'll keep you in mind. Good luck.