• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 169 Printing Flaw

21 posts in this topic

I'm interested in seeing if other people out there are noticing the same printing flaw as I am on this book.

I have a copy that appears 9.6 but the spine was folded too sharply causing a near spine split. I didn't notice it at first but it's there.

I recently looked over five high grade copies of this issue. All five had the same flaw. Most of them actually had partial spine splits! blush.gif Note that the splits can occur anywhere along the spine, it isn't restricted to the top or bottom of the spine where spine splits typically occur on older books.

Dig out your copies and look carefully! grin.gif

While we're on the topic of print run flaws, has anyone noticed the predominance of roller ink smudges on the cover of ASM 207? I see a ton of copies with this smudging.

I'll see if I can dig up my DD 169s and check, Bronty.

Bronty,

Had a look - I have 2 copies - and guess what? Both have the severe spine fold that you describe. The appearance is what you tend to see with current releases, where the cover fold is sharp enough to break color.

Pimpy - that copy looks pretty clean. I can't quite see if there's some smudge on the spine near the middle.

Thanks, Doc. Here are the census numbers. It would appear to me that cgc isn't downgrading for this flaw (and that would be as expected since they don't downgrade or downgrade much for printing flaws).

I wonder if this printing flaw would be enough to negate a 9.8? confused.gif

Perhaps this is a much scarcer 9.8 than we would have thought? confused.gif

Mint 10.0 0

Mint 9.9 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0

Near Mint + 9.6 5

Near Mint 9.4 4

Near Mint - 9.2 3

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 2

Very Fine + 8.5 0

Very Fine 8.0 1

You'll need more copies to get a representative sample!! grin.gif

Seriously, I've seen a lot of copies with horizontal roller smudge across the cover. If you have that many books, and aren't seeing any such thing, it may not be a common defect. Then again, did you buy all your copies in one batch at the time of release (i.e. perhaps a clean batch)?

How big is this smudge? I really don't see any such printing defect on these. It is possible that I got a batch without the printing defects. However, most of this issue in my possession grades VF to VF/NM. No ultra high grades on this #. How widespread do you thing this defect is? Have you noticed it recently or have you been trying to hunt down a copy for awhile?

The #207's came with thousands of other ASM's that I bought. 90-95% of the bronze /early modern stuff is unread and VF or better. Even some of the Silver Age issues got NM 9.4 grades from CGC.

Ted

Just got a NM copy of Daredevil 169...no extra-sharp folding on this copy.

Don't know if this is a pattern or anything, but the one I just bought without the sharp fold is the public issue with the bar code, whereas the other copy I had that had the sharp fold was the direct edition with no bar code and the price/issue number in a diamond. Maybe all the sharply folded ones are direct-sales editions. Someone said here that's the distinction on the rough cutting defect present on newsstand barcode editions of Spidey 300.

For what it's worth at this late date I did check my DD 169-- no sharp fold, no spine split, and it is the newstand (UPC code) edition. So it looks like your theory may well be correct.

Cheers,

Z.