• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

i thought CGC didn't recognize curator as a pedigree anymore? (shrug)

When was that? Why wouldn't they?

dunno. but it's been posted on the boards before, hence my question.

I can't imagine that, given the esteem in which it's held by the hobby. It's considered to be one of the top two or three Silver Age peds.

Very interesting stuff.

Anyone consider contacting Dan and inquiring about the books or inviting him here to discuss same (ala Don Rosa)?

I emailed him last night to ask if he'd be willing to answer some questions about it now that the cat's out of the bag. Hope he does discuss it in some form, always nice to get more info on the history of a pedigree (and fun to know he's a vintage comics collector, I've been a fan of his work since forever).

i thought CGC didn't recognize curator as a pedigree anymore? (shrug)

When was that? Why wouldn't they?

dunno. but it's been posted on the boards before, hence my question.

I can't imagine that, given the esteem in which it's held by the hobby. It's considered to be one of the top two or three Silver Age peds.

My bad. I was thinking circle 8 pedigree.

I don't think the Curators have any distinctive marks besides their unusual "fresh" quality. CGC wouldn't know to designate them without evidence and provenance, which I presume would have to have been supplied by Dan Jurgens or his agent?

Anyway, it could be that Jurgens had some amazing FF's outside of the Curator run and consigned them at the same time, but more likely that these 9.4/9.6 books are all part of the Curator collection. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong, but here's the early FF run so far in this auction:

#1 -- 5.5 white

#2 -- 9.4 oww

#3 -- 9.2 oww

#4 -- 9.6 white

#5 -- 9.4 white

#6 -- 9.2 white

#7 -- none yet

#8 -- none yet

#9 -- 7.5 white (marked as Curator)

#10 -- 9.6 white

#11 -- 9.0 white

#12 -- 9.6 white

#13 -- 9.4 white

#14 -- 9.6 white

#15 -- 9.8 white

#16 -- 9.4 oww

#17 -- 9.6 white

#18 -- 9.4 white

#19 -- 9.6 white

#20 -- 9.6 oww

#21 -- 9.6 white

#22 -- 9.8 white

#23 -- 9.2 white (marked Curator)

#24 -- 9.6 white

#25 -- 9.6 oww

#26 -- 9.4 white (Curator)

#27 -- 9.0 white (Curator)

#28 -- 9.4 white (Curator)

#29 -- 9.6 white

#30 -- 9.6 white

#31 -- 9.8 white

#32 -- 9.8 white...and the list goes on and on!

Sure sounds like the Curator run to me!

Dan

......maybe they're not all Curators and Dan can't remember which were which. Some could have been traded for similar copies plus some cash by someone Dan knows who also collects. There are a lot of strange scenarios that may explain. He may need the money immediately and was unable to verify the Ped within the slabbing timeframe required to meet the next auction's deadline (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The non keys of the FF run does nothing for me. Nada. Zip. No wood. (shrug)

There are a couple that give me a bit of balsa.

This is somewhat odd.

Curator's do have one distinguishing characteristic.

They are almost always distributor inked. I've owned a lot of Curators (in excess of 50 probably) and slowly eliminated them from my collection for just this reason. I've only owned one Curator that did not have distributor ink on it. I was also told that the Curator copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 was not distributor inked.

The odd thing here is:

The books coming out with Curator Pedigrees on them are all distributor marked.

I can't find distributor ink on the ones that are not listed as Curators.

This is somewhat odd.

Curator's do have one distinguishing characteristic.

They are almost always distributor inked. I've owned a lot of Curators (in excess of 50 probably) and slowly eliminated them from my collection for just this reason. I've only owned one Curator that did not have distributor ink on it. I was also told that the Curator copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 was not distributor inked.

The odd thing here is:

The books coming out with Curator Pedigrees on them are all distributor marked.

I can't find distributor ink on the ones that are not listed as Curators.

inresting observation!

Maybe Heritage wants us to think these are Curators so the bidding goes nuts -- they've certainly created a lot of buzz with the North Stars and the "putative" Curators...but I'll wait to see their full auction description and a label designation before I throw in any bids based on a pedigree. Some pretty books regardless.

Dan