• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

This is somewhat odd.

Curator's do have one distinguishing characteristic.

They are almost always distributor inked. I've owned a lot of Curators (in excess of 50 probably) and slowly eliminated them from my collection for just this reason. I've only owned one Curator that did not have distributor ink on it. I was also told that the Curator copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 was not distributor inked.

The odd thing here is:

The books coming out with Curator Pedigrees on them are all distributor marked.

I can't find distributor ink on the ones that are not listed as Curators.

They're not listed in any sensible order, so you might have missed some. The #29, 30, 45 aren't listed as Curators but they all have the ink. There's probably more too.

FF #29

FF #30

FF #45

And the #33 which is listed as a Curator doesn't look like it has any ink.

FF #33

Hopefully it'll all get sorted out soon.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91001

is this the Curator or the Northstar ff 1??

So much for any secrecy on who the artist is. :P

I think it's been fairly well known for a while now that Dan Jurgens was the owner of the Curator FF #2-up run.

Well known for at least the last twelve hours (thumbs u

I knew, so I figured if a nobody like me knew, then it must be pretty common knowledge. (shrug)

I had always thought it was Jim Lee. Learn something new on the boards every day.

To be honest, I thought it was MacFarlane until I found out it was Jurgens.

They're not listed in any sensible order, so you might have missed some. The #29, 30, 45 aren't listed as Curators but they all have the ink. There's probably more too.

FF #29

FF #30

FF #45

And the #33 which is listed as a Curator doesn't look like it has any ink.

FF #33

Hopefully it'll all get sorted out soon.

Interesting.

I wonder if the Curators are like Rocky Mountains [Early Rocky Mountains do not have distributor ink but almost all Rocky Mountains have the ink from 1969 to 1973].

Maybe early Curators are clean [such as the AF 15].

If so, I would really like to know when the inking begins.

i thought CGC didn't recognize curator as a pedigree anymore? (shrug)

When was that? Why wouldn't they?

dunno. but it's been posted on the boards before, hence my question.

I can't imagine that, given the esteem in which it's held by the hobby. It's considered to be one of the top two or three Silver Age peds.

My bad. I was thinking circle 8 pedigree.

Circle 8 is still a recognized pedigree. Maybe you're thinking of Diamond Run?

Lots of things are possible, but that doesn`t mean that they`re likely.

right, like its possible you could act in a civil way, but not very likely.

If you thought that response was uncivil, you seriously need to get thicker skin.

Very interesting stuff.

Anyone consider contacting Dan and inquiring about the books or inviting him here to discuss same (ala Don Rosa)?

I emailed him last night to ask if he'd be willing to answer some questions about it now that the cat's out of the bag. Hope he does discuss it in some form, always nice to get more info on the history of a pedigree (and fun to know he's a vintage comics collector, I've been a fan of his work since forever).

Cool. Good luck. :wishluck:

i thought CGC didn't recognize curator as a pedigree anymore? (shrug)

When was that? Why wouldn't they?

dunno. but it's been posted on the boards before, hence my question.

I can't imagine that, given the esteem in which it's held by the hobby. It's considered to be one of the top two or three Silver Age peds.

My bad. I was thinking circle 8 pedigree.

Circle 8 is still a recognized pedigree. Maybe you're thinking of Diamond Run?

http://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree.asp

CGC recognizes the following pedigree collections on the CGC label:

Allentown

Aurora

Bethlehem

Big Apple

Boston

Bowling Green

Carson City

Central Valley

Chicago

Cosmic Aeroplane

Crowley

Curator

Davis Crippen “D” Copy

Denver

Don Rosa Collection

Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

Edgar Church (Mile High)

Gaines File Copy

Green River

Hawkeye

Kansas City

Larson

Lost Valley

Mass. Copy

Mohawk Valley

Northford

Northland

Nova Scotia

Oakland

Ohio

Okajima

Pacific Coast

Palo Alto

Pennsylvania

Recil Macon

River City

Rockford

Rocky Mountain

Salida

San Francisco

Savannah

Spokane

Suscha News

Twilight

Twin Cities

Vancouver

Western Penn

White Mountain

Windy City

Winnipeg

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91039#Photo

and sweet #39

look how fresh these books are

What's the yellow above Thing's head in the Logo/top spine? Have never seen that before (?) (shrug)

Distributor spray gone awry. If you look at the back cover scan, the yellow matches the spray on the top middle of the book.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91039#Photo

and sweet #39

look how fresh these books are

What's the yellow above Thing's head in the Logo/top spine? Have never seen that before (?) (shrug)

Distributor spray gone awry. If you look at the back cover scan, the yellow matches the spray on the top middle of the book.

THX GT! That in and of itself in my mind makes this a cool book to own (btw the letters rearranged in own can become won)...outside my strike-zone but good luck to the new owner/woner! :headbang:

It also looks like he is selling multiple copies of the same book in the auction. There are two copies each of #9, 26, and 31, for example. I know some could be from different consignors, but it doesn't seem all that likely.

This is actually probably very likely (different consignors).

The second FF #26 (CGC 9.6) - for example has a totally different consignor number and it is the same consignor number used to catalog the Twin Cities copy of X-men #1 and a second 8.5 copy of X-men #1 along with other books (I believe it is an internal consignor number used to identify books that Heritage owns).

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

Could the DD#1 also be a Curator copy?

It also looks like he is selling multiple copies of the same book in the auction. There are two copies each of #9, 26, and 31, for example. I know some could be from different consignors, but it doesn't seem all that likely.

This is actually probably very likely (different consignors).

The second FF #26 (CGC 9.6) - for example has a totally different consignor number and it is the same consignor number used to catalog the Twin Cities copy of X-men #1 and a second 8.5 copy of X-men #1 along with other books (I believe it is an internal consignor number used to identify books that Heritage owns).

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

Could the DD#1 also be a Curator copy?

That's some good detective work there. It took me awhile to see you can get the consignor number from the URL. (I was looking for the stickers but didn't see them.)

I think there are some duplicate Curator copies out there in the world. Spidey #12 and #15 come to mind. There is a Curator DD #1 already, but looking at this book and where it came from, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Curator as well.