• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

Seems like everything except the 9.8 #45 got re-labeled. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a Curator too.

You nailed it, GT. (thumbs u

No new image yet... but the book got the designation too.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91014

FF-45_9-8.jpg

FF-45_curator-cert.jpg

Although the image hasn't changed, the FF#1 is now designated as a Curator...

Wow, very interesting. There are a few scattered references on the boards throughout the past several years which said that the (then-unnamed) well-known comic book artist who bought #2-100 did not buy the #1, and also some that said that the #1 had passed through several hands.

Perhaps someone along the line simply came to the wrong conclusion if they knew the #1 was not as pristine as the rest of the run. (though it's a very pretty book!)

I'll be very curious to see what info emerges as the auction develops.

also how can a eff up like this happen in the first place with the pedigree labeling? was it heritage's fumble or CGC? :screwy:

Maybe it was nobody's fumble. Who knows just what was communicated to Heritage. And who knows how much Jurgens knew about the Curator's status in the hobby. I think some collectors in Minnesota knew the Curator books by another name ("Minnesota" maybe?). And if Jurgens didn't know the books by the Curator name, I can see it slipping through the cracks.

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

Could the DD#1 also be a Curator copy?

Looks like the DD #1 and the Showcase #34-36 all got the Curator designation.

:acclaim:

They're not listed in any sensible order, so you might have missed some. The #29, 30, 45 aren't listed as Curators but they all have the ink. There's probably more too.

FF #29

FF #30

FF #45

And the #33 which is listed as a Curator doesn't look like it has any ink.

FF #33

Hopefully it'll all get sorted out soon.

Interesting.

I wonder if the Curators are like Rocky Mountains [Early Rocky Mountains do not have distributor ink but almost all Rocky Mountains have the ink from 1969 to 1973].

Maybe early Curators are clean [such as the AF 15].

If so, I would really like to know when the inking begins.

Some of the early Rocky Mountains have the ink too. The AF 15, for example.

I agree that these books could have slipped through the cracks without specific information brought forward in the initial consignment...but still, it seems a little sloppy that someone didn't put 2+2 together somewhere along the line given just how superb this run is.

Unless this was some weird idea to hold back the pedigree to stir up some buzz...which seems outlandish, whether on Dan Jurgens' part or on Heritage's. Occam's razor, I suppose.

Certainly plenty of buzz to have these books up for sale -- and with new ones coming in every day...there's now a 73 in 9.8 with the whitest cover I have ever seen on that issue and a 72 in 9.6 that looks superb. A 76 in 9.6 as well. Can't wait to see what others in the 2-100 run come up for sale.

Dan

also how can a eff up like this happen in the first place with the pedigree labeling? was it heritage's fumble or CGC? :screwy:

Maybe it was nobody's fumble. Who knows just what was communicated to Heritage. And who knows how much Jurgens knew about the Curator's status in the hobby. I think some collectors in Minnesota knew the Curator books by another name ("Minnesota" maybe?). And if Jurgens didn't know the books by the Curator name, I can see it slipping through the cracks.

Back in the early eighties Burrel Rowe sold off most of his collection, which included a large number of Edgar Church Mile High Collection books. He never designated them as Mile Highs as pedigrees in general weren't a big selling point at that time. There are still unidentified Mile High books in collections. The Curator Collection became a designated pedigree well after the fact. I'm sure there are other Curators out there which were sold early on and are unidentified now.

I agree that these books could have slipped through the cracks without specific information brought forward in the initial consignment...but still, it seems a little sloppy that someone didn't put 2+2 together somewhere along the line given just how superb this run is.

Someone did. They are now identified.

You have to be a paid Collector's Society member to access that feature.

And with your paid membership you get a secret decoder ring and a G-14 classified

message straight from the desk of Harshen Patel that reads, when decoded:

"Be sure to drink your CGC Kool-Aid!"

;)

And with your paid membership you get a secret decoder ring and a G-14 classified

;)

That's a lie.

Harshen doesn't have the personality necessary to send such a message much less spring for the cost of decoder rings. :screwy:

I finally see the scratches on the front cover. That's one thing that killed the grade. Plus, those won't press out. Beautiful 5.5 though.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Janowicz copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

;)

That's a lie.

Harshen doesn't have the personality necessary to send such a message much less spring for the cost of decoder rings. :screwy:

C'mon, whadda mean... He's got a heck of a snowman's personality!

Why just look at these neat CS collectables...

I can't wait to get these babies graded and certified.

I'm gonna be rich, I tell ya. Rich!

cs-member.jpg

cs-certificate.jpg

I finally see the scratches on the front cover. That's one thing that killed the grade. Plus, those won't press out. Beautiful 5.5 though.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Jankowski copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

And speaking of the Janowicz copy...

FF1_front.jpg