• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

I hate indented staples.

To me, indented staples on an otherwise flawless, or near-flawless spine, is like a hot chick with a missing front tooth.

Or like a hot chick that you can get a bonding job for and nobody will ever know the difference.

(tsk)

restoration

Next?

Just watched the Thor movie last night. Everything sucked except the woman who played Sif is stunning.

Next?

Just watched the Thor movie last night. Everything sucked except the woman who played Sif is stunning.

:hi:

:gossip:

I like FF 5 and FF 10 the best, outstanding books. :headbang:

You gonna mannup Mitchell?

No love for the #4? That banana yellow cover is :o

Colors are extraordinary. Shame about the impacted top staple.

Staples have never bothered me.

Me neither.

Same here. I'll take a dented or even a slightly rusted staple over a corner crease all day long. :cloud9:

I'll buy books with rusty staples, but I weigh that far greater than most creasing. It affects pq and leads to deterioration of the book. Don't like it.

As for the idea that pressing would cause an impacted staple, I think you'd have to press the book vertically.

Why the heck is Tim bidding on Marvels?

Early FFs are almost as tough as DCs, and I do love them Curators. The 4, 5, 12 and one of the other issues (can't remember the number but it's a 9.8) are the nicest copies I've ever seen of those books.

I don't expect that I'll actually win anything because I imagine I want them a whole lot less than some other folks.

My image of you as a collector of perfection has been dashed: :o

FF4Curator.jpg

FF4Curator.jpg

:sorry:

FF4Curator.jpg

That bugs me really bad as well. I'll usually avoid a book like that. Although, I dislike it even more when the staples are on the back cover instead of the spine.

FF4Curator.jpg

That bugs me really bad as well. I'll usually avoid a book like that. Although, I dislike it even more when the staples are on the back cover instead of the spine.

But if the staples are on the the back side of the cover - less chances of spine damage!

It appears to be a mixed bag, not surprisingly. There are issues that to me seem overgraded, including the #2 that got a 9.4 with rusted staples, the #13 (a 9.4) with color breaking wear along the spine beneath the lower staple, the #18 (a 9.4) with several pre-chips along the right edge, and the #39 (a 9.4) with a significant color breaking corner crease. The #12 got a 9.6 with two impacted staples, as did the #29. The #10 (9.6) has an impacted lower staple. I'm left wondering whether these issues with impacted staples and vertical stress lines near the staples (there are even more examples) were damaged during pressing.

Then there are the stunning issues like #s 5, 15, 25, 31, 41, 47 and 52 that blow away other copies I've seen in person or from scans.

Hope you don't take this personally Bob, because you are not the only one who does it......but I am going to have a little rant here.

I am absolutely sick of all of this speculation about books being pressed and damaging books. It is nothing but a subtle/subversive attempt to knock the value and desirability of a book. And it is NOT right.

That book belongs to someone out there. Its not mine. I don't know who it belongs to (could probably find out if I cared to, which I don't), but people have NO business talking about stuff they don't know anything about.

If it was your book would you like people talking about it in this way when the fact is,it is only speculation.

The book is what it is. It is a nice book. It has an impacted staple. If you don't like it, don't bid and keep your mouth shut.

Sorry, woke up grumpy today. rantrant

The curator's should be used to demonstrate what white pages look like.

Since these were in the vault a decade or so less than the ones you've seen, tough to say if that's as true for these.

It appears to be a mixed bag, not surprisingly. There are issues that to me seem overgraded, including the #2 that got a 9.4 with rusted staples, the #13 (a 9.4) with color breaking wear along the spine beneath the lower staple, the #18 (a 9.4) with several pre-chips along the right edge, and the #39 (a 9.4) with a significant color breaking corner crease. The #12 got a 9.6 with two impacted staples, as did the #29. The #10 (9.6) has an impacted lower staple. I'm left wondering whether these issues with impacted staples and vertical stress lines near the staples (there are even more examples) were damaged during pressing.

Then there are the stunning issues like #s 5, 15, 25, 31, 41, 47 and 52 that blow away other copies I've seen in person or from scans.

Hope you don't take this personally Bob, because you are not the only one who does it......but I am going to have a little rant here.

I am absolutely sick of all of this speculation about books being pressed and damaging books. It is nothing but a subtle/subversive attempt to knock the value and desirability of a book. And it is NOT right.

That book belongs to someone out there. Its not mine. I don't know who it belongs to (could probably find out if I cared to, which I don't), but people have NO business talking about stuff they don't know anything about.

If it was your book would you like people talking about it in this way when the fact is,it is only speculation.

The book is what it is. It is a nice book. It has an impacted staple. If you don't like it, don't bid and keep your mouth shut.

Sorry, woke up grumpy today. rantrant

:o

I have to say I agree with Dale. I personally try to be careful and respectful of other people's belongings when I talk about them. Reckless negative comments and speculation can and does affect market prices of books, unfortunately.