• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fangoria

103 posts in this topic

Welcome to the convo Black Lantern. I hate to sound like a broken record but give HorrorHound a try. They have genuine love for all the 80's flick and fandom. Their retrospecs are the best and its a very professional publication. It's a fanzine taken to the next level.

Sounds like a deal Jaded Savage! (love the ads in Fangoria too... I remember an ad for a remote control Godzilla that I thought was amazing, so amazing in fact that I hung it up in my locker in grade 8-- Ya, thats how big a nerd I was...haha. Have no idea what issue that was but would love to see it again)

Only 44.95 for a VHS tape. I still remember in 1983 I think it was when my Dad bought me a copy of Jaws on Beta for I think 89.95. It was a king treasure back then and I still to this day cannot believe her bought it for that price. My brother got Superman think and that was pretty pricey if I remember correctly as well. -- what the hell was he thinking? haha

If you ever had a laserdisc player in the 90's, these prices seem cheap. Gawd, i was a doof with my money back then.

Also-- Welcome Black Lantern. I cannot agree with you more. I moved on from fango around 1993 or so. But I go through stretches where I still pick it up. To be honest recently the magazine has gotten quite good again. But maybe that has to do with the industry picking up and some quality films being made by quality film makers.

I work in film now and I love looking back at certain projects for inspiration and also to learn where the film makers were thinking at the time. It's a pretty neat and fun way to do research. The old carpenter films, seeing Raimi come up and a of coarse Clive Barker we're all huge moments for me as a kid. But every time I pick up an old issue now I seem to find a new film to go hunt down and be inspired by-- Love it.

That was almost 4 years ago. Put that up for auction today and I'm sure it's at least a $400 dollar book. (at least thats what I would be hoping to snipe it for) Still not as much as that #9 you mentioned being sold back in the day. lol

Edited by Jaded Savage

i submitted a couple at the heroes con and have bought a few of #79 and these are tough to find over 9.4. one copy would have graded 9.4-9.6 but somebody put a price sticker on the book and not the sleeve and the seller forgot to tell me it was on the book.

Here are a few Fangos from my teenage years. These things were not collectible to me. These were research.

I was planning to be the next Tom Savini, and I lived and breathed Fangoria.

I also have a first print copy of Grande Illusions somewhere. My daughter (also a Savini nut) might possibly have it because I can't find it anywhere.

Good times... :cloud9:

This is great to read. When I was 15 and 16 my best friend Ron and I were huge Tom Davini and Rick Baker fans. We sculpted and made all kinds of make up with latex, air bladders, mechanics, etc...it was fun! My friends father thought we were getting lost in horror stuff and he started freaking out on us. We would spend hours doing horror make up... :cloud9:

Fangoria was a favorite and I had tons of issues. 0 now.

Edited by Mark 1

Marl-1... I went through the same thing in my childhood. We lived on a farm and I was able to gather all the local bored kids to spend all our weekends building masks and gore prosthetics, then eventually we would shoot these little Super-8 films in the coulees and riverbed forests in southern Alberta. Fangoria was a major influence in all of this-- As was the book 'Grande Illusions' by Tom Savini.

Love this thread!

Nerd-Boner!!!!

lol

In my view,what made Fangoria pretty heavy was the fact that Starlog who had been out for some time only dealt with scifi mainly and therefore had no real

punch in regards to the images.

But Fango,man.

Every month had a wealth of gory picture after gory picture.

One of my buddies would invariably get it before me,and would always ring me up to invite me over and look at some exploding bloody head or something.

And i truly believe since i was the nerd bringing these to school,i saved myself from a few beatings cause my magazine would inevitably go around the whole class and back to me.

so the tuff guys were either thinking Ben's a really cool guy with his monster mags or...

He's some smiling psycho,and we wouldnt dare try and kick his azz for fear of retribution.

You'll notice i didnt post # 1.Its the only one that wins the dog-eared award for the cover.

I'll have to find a mint copy somewhere.

Edited by montrealfilmguy

Ok,so i take it this is now the official Fangoria thread.

Well,then,the only thing i can say is this.

Hello,my name is Ben and i'll be your pix dealer for this evening.

Here ya go ya junkies !

:grin:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This post is full of awesome. :cloud9: