• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fangoria

103 posts in this topic

Oh, the infamous 'RARE' copy of Fango. I still love that issue so much. Every cover has many good memories for me. Thanks for sharing.

It's funny, that issue#8 has a Force Five Preview in it, the first 8 or so issues we're slanted towards more fantasy than just pure blood and guts horror, in fact they we're going to initially call Fangoria-- 'Phantasmagoria' (i think the name was already trademarked though) And try and make a go of it being a fantasy magazine. But the response from things like the Dawn Of The Dead article in issue #1 and showing the head exploding was so overwhelming that they ended up pushing for the horror crowd. Good thing they did. They did very well with it for many years.

I also love the cover to issue #10(scanners). The other issue that popped up as SCARCE back in the day. Which actually really isn't. But great read.

Yeah. It's kinda weird seeing SPOCK on the cover of an early issue. Issue 8 talks about Yoda/Empire as well.

I didn't know that there was a time when subscribers got a newsletter stapled to their copies, something akin to a wraparound cover. A "subscriber variant"? So when searching ebay and you think you see a coverless Fango, take a closer look. It could be just the newsletter wrapped around the mag. Early to mid 80's?

Edited by Jaded Savage

Variant newsletter issue?-- That does sound familiar to me. I can see it but I can't say for sure. Now I am going to be on the hunt.(Thanks Jaded Savage)

I heard once years back from a guy who used to go to Fantaco's store in Albany back in the late 80's, that they had a copy of Phantasmagoria#1. It was basically fangoria #1 with a different title card over the Godzilla on the cover. I honestly don't know if he was full of it or not, but as a kid I thought that would be the greatest Fangoria grail to ever own. (If anyone has seen this, or heck... has one, please chime in)

Shiverbones-- Those Evil Dead issues are awesome! One of my fave articles in all of the run is for Evil Dead 2 in I think issue 67? But your not the only one looking at buying up more issues.

I have a run of fangoria's bound in books for quick reference at my office downtown... But I was going through my loose issues and discovered quite a few NM to NM+ copies. Now I have that craving to dig up the rest of the #1-#100 I need for a complete loose NM run. So much fun going through the covers. It's still a great time to collect them. if you find them in the right places they can go for pennies on the dollar.

Also-- Someone mentioned Deep Red, I also discovered I have a complete run in pretty decent shape. 8.0 and up. Kind of shocked I had them all.

Did I mention I love this thread? I should. It's F%$#'ing great!

Castle Fangor!-- I actually have a few of those newsletters I dug up in the bottom of a box..., but none attached to the books. Interesting.

I get you losing interest, frankly for me I die out around issue 90 myself as my attention at the time as a kid was on other things. But I am OCD and need 100 issues as a set. haha

Thanks for the info

Phantasmagoria #1? Would be awesome if it exists. Congrats on that Deep Red run. Fango lovers really need to check that title out. I have a #1 and #4 but lost a few others to my grandmother. Fun times. lol

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm too putting together a run but of only covers of movies I liked and no issues from the 90's. The Evil Dead covers that Matt bought are on my list. When you get them post a pic, please! Keep this great thread going. The Magazine forum needs the love.

What's really interesting is that the "Bloody Best" and poster editions have really started to climb in price on eBay. I've lost on both in multiple auctions.

Edited by Jaded Savage

pics are coming. The #27 had a 2 "spine split. I almost sent it back, but at $10, the true hardest fango, I decided to keep it for now. Hoping to score on some other true tough fangos like #15 & 22, but for now, will be patient, since it seems like that wins.

Weird how time really made apparent how tough certain issues are without the hype of Fango's back issues sales page made it seem to be.

#27 is 10 times harder than #9, but #9 still has that "glow" of the past about it.

I knew 27 was a scarcer issue but I didn't realize 15 was so tuff to find. I have a few copies of that-- Let me take a look in my storage locker and get back to you. Is 22 the Creepshow cover? If so i am pretty sure I multiples of that as well.

Ya, #9. That was my amazing fantasy 15 when I was a kid. It was the ultimate grail and i felt like a superstar when I dug one up in a used book store(probably a 9.0) in 1986 but as the years went on I just kept seeing them at comic stores and used books shops and cons and finally dug one up at a con in a 50 cent bin(that was an easy 8.5/9.0) I was happy to snag it, but at the same time saddened to see that it had fallen so hard.

I remember I think it was issue 66 or 68 was quite tough to get as well for some odd reason. I don't have any extras of that one for sure.

Shiverbones-- I'd love to hear more about what you think is scarce or rare in the Fangoria run.

Love this thread-- Even if I have to post alone. I will keep it alive!

I would say, none are really tough in the true sense, but some are tough in nice shape (Mostly the darker covered issues of #1-30), and relative to the rest of the run, several are without a doubt harder to find. In all honesty the toughest ones are probably in the 200s because of circulation at the time, but I don't know enough about that era.

In tiers, I would say tier 1 toughest is

15, 18, 22, 27

tier 2

20, 23, 32, 37, 40, 66

tier 3

8, 9, 10, 14, 36, 43, 64, 65

I think That #9 is technically in shorter supply than say, 66, but there is a lot more motivation to offer #9 for sale, so it is available more often.

Solid list-- I remember for a time issues 36 through 42 being rather expensive. Must have sold out at the starlog warehouse before it burnt down. I have personally had no problems finding any of these issues. In 9.4 condition is a different deal. Most of these mags we're read to hell by kids and used as reference for a lot of film folk, so finding anything in 9.4 and above is pretty tuff I suspect.

Saying that-- I bet there are a lot of nice copies hidden away in collections and back logged dealer stock around the country I am sure.

I have another friend who is a rather big collector of horror film mags and he told me that I think it was issue #214 is worth a ton. I seem to remember it being a big deal. I know that fango went through hard times for a number of years and I suspect those circulation numbers must have dropped quite a bit during that time.

Shiver-- Any dealers you would recomend to gather a high grade collection of Fangoria's? All my old mag dealers are long gone since the late 90's.

Another decent Horror Film mag called Rue Morgue has a pile of rather expensive back issues that seem to have a large fan base to keep demand high. I only have the odd issue I snagged to read on a flight here and there so i don't know much about it.

Horrorhound does a con as well I think. I have picked up Horrorhound a couple times here and there and liked it more than Rue Morgue. Found Rue Morgue to be just a mag full of fluff articles and all it seemed to have in it was ads and reviews for stuff I don't actually want to see.

I just found a stack of 70's NM copies of Cinefantastiques. Can't wait to read through them. These are some of the best behind the scenes film mags ever done. In fact they put most books to shame. Great stuff!

Also dug up another copy of Fango #9. Jeez... How many did I buy back in the day? haha

lol

I'm in the market for a #9. LMK if you wanna let go of one. Doesn't matter the condition as long as it's not coverless.

BTW, HorrorHound hooked me when they started doing their reviews of the 80's video tapes complete with photos of all the VHS boxes. They would do one line an issue/article, ya know, they would review the run of Gorgon Video releases, then next issue Canon, and so on and so on. Included in the articles would be ads and giveaways the companies would give out to promote their videos. Pics of magnets, keychains, shirts, posters/standees and other things were pretty cool. Very thorough and informative.

Edited by Jaded Savage

So Jaded Savage... You want a copy of the coveted and very rare and completely 'Out Of Print' issue number #9 of Fangoria.

You realize how expensive they are don't you. I mean... One sold for over 400 bucks once Ya know. This IS the rarest issue ever! Be hard to part with. Hmmm...

Haha... Kidding. Message me your address and I'll send you a 'Fine plus' copy for free.

Also-- I've seen some of those articles in Horrorhound. Love that kind of stuff. There was a great one on Vestron Video that I dug pretty hard.

Might have to go out and hunt out a few more issues of that title. I think you may have sold me on it.

Wow. That is mighty kind of you. I tell you what, you send me that and I'll send you the HorrorHound below. This was the one that got me started into looking into all those horrible boxes of VHS tapes at all the Flea Markets and garage sales. Great article on the Media Home Entertainment line of tapes. If you have this one, I'll send a different one.

image_generalashx.jpg

I loved and still love Fangoria, but I stopped collecting it a few years ago. I'm not sure but I think I have them up to #250 or so. But when the first movie websites surfaced the magazine became more and more outdated and I didn't enjoy it the same way as years before. There was nothing new in it you have not already read on some websites. But I love to read the really old issues of the 80s because it's so much fun to read all the things the filmmakers had planned and what never made it into movies (there were really some interesting movies planned back then). Or some projects they talked about they would do next and now we know that these never were made. Or how the praised the movies in advance, even the really bad ones :-)