• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fanboy

A FAN BOY is  

96 members have voted

1. 1. A FAN BOY is

26 posts in this topic

So what IS a Fanboy?

You forgot: A boy with a fan! confused-smiley-013.gif

So what IS a Fanboy?

You forgot: A boy with a fan! confused-smiley-013.gif

Actualy, I THOUGHT of that (really) but felt the post should remain SOMEWHAT on topic! blush.gifgrin.gif

sorry.gif

Awww didn't mean to make you feel apologetic - that is unlesss you replied without even VOTING. Then I would wish you to feel apologetic! devil.gif

I VOTED!!! thumbsup2.gif

Well shoot, didn't mean for you to reveal your vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - GAWD the boards are slow tonight!

your right...wonder what happened? you dont think people actually sleep do you??? foreheadslap.gif

your right...wonder what happened? you dont think people actually sleep do you??? foreheadslap.gif

No - I mean the BOARDS are slow tonight - like takes forever to refresh! crazy.gif

No - I mean the BOARDS are slow tonight - like takes forever to refresh! crazy.gif

now that you mention it...I have had a number of "Cant find board" messages tonight! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who says it has to be a derogatory term? Wizard certainly doesn't seem to think so. confused-smiley-013.gif

Methinks that anyone who takes offense at the term might be a little too sensitive and/or insecure about the level of their own passion/involvement in the hobby. 893whatthe.gif I think these people, if they truly believe their own 893censored-thumb.gif, should *embrace* the fanboy label, not reject it.

I thought it was someone who just loves reading and collecting comics and also enjoys comic related products like movies. confused-smiley-013.gif I know JC tries to use it as a derogative, but I don't think it is.

Sort of...like many terms, it's all in the context of how it's used. In JC's case, it's typically used in a condescending manner. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Since I was asked by various forum members for my Fanboy definition, I'll repost it here in case you missed it:

Fanboy: A person who is so enamoured with a certain area of pop culture, that they follow it with a religious fervor, have no regard for quality (it exists, therefore it is exceptional), and views negative comments as a personal insult of the highest order.

Fanboy Idioms:

"You just didn't get it"

"You went in with high expectations"

"Why don't you make your own movie!!"

"This movie is for the TRUE FANS!!!"

"You really expected anything but a (insert term here)"

"If you saw the trailer, you'd know what to expect"

"Obviously you didn't play/see/read the (videogame/cartoon/prequel/book/comic) before going in!"

"YOU SUCK LOOZZER. THIS MOVIE RULEZZZZ AND YOU SUXXXXX" (or basically anything in ALL CAPS).

What do you call a person who never has a positive word to say about the hobby he is involved in? confused-smiley-013.gif What is the term for someone whose favorite pastime is to criticizes and scorn almost everything related to a hobby he claims to love? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anti-fanguy perhaps???

I thought it was someone who just loves reading and collecting comics and also enjoys comic related products like movies.

Jeeze why is everyone coming up with reasonable explanations and ignoring the 4th poll option?

I thought it was someone who just loves reading and collecting comics and also enjoys comic related products like movies.

Jeeze why is everyone coming up with reasonable explanations and ignoring the 4th poll option?

Cause it is a trap. stooges.gif

have no regard for quality (it exists, therefore it is exceptional)

This is subjective. Where I see quality, you may see drek.

Noi it isn't. It is IMPOSSIBLE for 100% of anything to be excellent, but you'll meet fanboys (some on here) who will defend everything related to their New Religion. Many will even admit this, stating that it would be impossible to produce anything bad if it had their fave character in it.

It IS, therefore it IS automatically exceptional.

Once you lose all signs of objectivity, then you enter the domain of the Fanboy. 893whatthe.gif