• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Best Star Wars Lego Corporate Response Ever

63 posts in this topic

Playing with an Anakin (pre-dark side) toy would be like playing with a pre-1939 Hitler doll and saying: "well, its ok because this doll portrays the character before he started WW2 and committed all that genocide".

You cant be serious.....

I believe it to be a fair comparison. Just looking at the movie history alone and not the books or extended universe, Anakin would have been responsible for, or at least in a position to prevent, the deaths of millions of lifeforms.

Whether it's Alderaan, Ewoks, or whatever. The Empire is very closely modeled after the SS anyway. The uniforms, the "stormtroopers", the large assemblies of same perfectly lined up. Comparing the Emperor and Darth Vader to the Third Reich is not a stretch at all specifically because it was intended to resemble such.

But we are talking about the extended universe and the context of the toys themselves are we not? Sorry but Clone Wars Anakin in Poncho does not equal High School Hitler with Painting Gear :shrug:

Well, even so, eventually the Clone Wars saga blends into the original movies. One begat the other remember? You just have to remember in which order. The "bad guy" story begat the "good guy" story before he was "bad".

People aren't born bad, life events and upbringing make them that way. Adolph Hitler was probably just as cute a baby as anyone else.

This is probably true...but despite the similarities (and yes I agree, Lucas went SS/Roman Empire for sourcing) we are talking toys and honestly I see I big difference in Nonfiction/History versus Fiction that attempts to incorporate themes learned/experienced through history. For example, GI Joe and Cobra toys I have no problem with a child playing with. Equivalent toys/molds for real life terrorist action figures being sold at the local Toys R Us, and I see a problem.

Sorry, just can't get on board with the equivalency argument :shrug:

Well I agree, to a certain extent. I also agree that the Hitler reference isn't really that far of a stretch simply because of the source material and what was created. Most children aren't old enough to have learned of these types of references and really only care that one *human shaped piece of plastic* and win over the other *human shaped piece of plastic*. Then again, with today's way of thinking we can't have any "winners" can we? We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. :/

Also remember, the old GI Joe cartoons, no one ever died, it was all parachutes and stunning "lasers" (thumbs u

Yeah, the whole everyone is a winner thing grates on me as well. :P

Here is my other point (blunted since I am still recovering from festivities last night). Since the Clone Wars cartoon was extended to the whole canon of Star Wars and blended to the movies by your argument, we must do the same with G.I. Joe. Specifically, numerous characters died in the comic books and the more recent cartoon iterations have also included character deaths :juggle:

However, and to answer the post above about what the difference is...one is real, the other fiction. Others can reimagine Anakin's story or things can be retconned with GI Joe. With real life historical figures we are dealing with REAL events that have a substantially greater impact on us (in my opinion). And comparing a child playing with a Clone Wars Anakin toy to a Hitler toy is well beyond comparing apples/oranges in my view.

Unfortunately the further removed we are from historical events the lesser the impact. We're already seeing it happen with September 11, 2001 nevermind December 7, 1941.

It would not be to far fetched to find people that couldn't even point to Pearl Harbor on a map much less fully understand the impact that it had on this nation. How dare anyone attack us on a Sunday morning when God-fearing people are in Church or with their families. You'd never hear that statement now but that is exactly how people felt then.

Godwin's Law . . . :cloud9:

Not entirely accurate. Godwin's Law specifically points to the comparison of a belief system. That is not what is being compared here. Good try though!

Denial of Godwin's Law . . . :cloud9:

Playing with an Anakin (pre-dark side) toy would be like playing with a pre-1939 Hitler doll and saying: "well, its ok because this doll portrays the character before he started WW2 and committed all that genocide".

You cant be serious.....

I believe it to be a fair comparison. Just looking at the movie history alone and not the books or extended universe, Anakin would have been responsible for, or at least in a position to prevent, the deaths of millions of lifeforms.

Whether it's Alderaan, Ewoks, or whatever. The Empire is very closely modeled after the SS anyway. The uniforms, the "stormtroopers", the large assemblies of same perfectly lined up. Comparing the Emperor and Darth Vader to the Third Reich is not a stretch at all specifically because it was intended to resemble such.

But we are talking about the extended universe and the context of the toys themselves are we not? Sorry but Clone Wars Anakin in Poncho does not equal High School Hitler with Painting Gear :shrug:

Well, even so, eventually the Clone Wars saga blends into the original movies. One begat the other remember? You just have to remember in which order. The "bad guy" story begat the "good guy" story before he was "bad".

People aren't born bad, life events and upbringing make them that way. Adolph Hitler was probably just as cute a baby as anyone else.

This is probably true...but despite the similarities (and yes I agree, Lucas went SS/Roman Empire for sourcing) we are talking toys and honestly I see I big difference in Nonfiction/History versus Fiction that attempts to incorporate themes learned/experienced through history. For example, GI Joe and Cobra toys I have no problem with a child playing with. Equivalent toys/molds for real life terrorist action figures being sold at the local Toys R Us, and I see a problem.

Well I agree, to a certain extent. I also agree that the Hitler reference isn't really that far of a stretch simply because of the source material and what was created. Most children aren't old enough to have learned of these types of references and really only care that one *human shaped piece of plastic* and win over the other *human shaped piece of plastic*. Then again, with today's way of thinking we can't have any "winners" can we? We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. :/

Also remember, the old GI Joe cartoons, no one ever died, it was all parachutes and stunning "lasers" (thumbs u

Here is my other point (blunted since I am still recovering from festivities last night). Since the Clone Wars cartoon was extended to the whole canon of Star Wars and blended to the movies by your argument, we must do the same with G.I. Joe. Specifically, numerous characters died in the comic books and the more recent cartoon iterations have also included character deaths :juggle:

However, and to answer the post above about what the difference is...one is real, the other fiction. Others can reimagine Anakin's story or things can be retconned with GI Joe. With real life historical figures we are dealing with REAL events that have a substantially greater impact on us (in my opinion). And comparing a child playing with a Clone Wars Anakin toy to a Hitler toy is well beyond comparing apples/oranges in my view.

Unfortunately the further removed we are from historical events the lesser the impact. We're already seeing it happen with September 11, 2001 nevermind December 7, 1941.

It would not be to far fetched to find people that couldn't even point to Pearl Harbor on a map much less fully understand the impact that it had on this nation. How dare anyone attack us on a Sunday morning when God-fearing people are in Church or with their families. You'd never hear that statement now but that is exactly how people felt then.

Who's Pearl Harbor? Is she a singer or something? ;)

Not entirely accurate. Godwin's Law specifically points to the comparison of a belief system. That is not what is being compared here. Good try though!

You are full of it. Any analogy of anything online to Hitler implicates Godwin's Law. It is automatic Internet FAIL.

lol

In this case we are talking about a fictional group that was created specifically from elements of the Third Reich. It's hard to inact Godwin's Law when the subject at hand is a direct corellation.

You cant be serious.....

Perhaps, but keep in mind that as terrible as Pearl Harbor was, there are things that Hitler did that will never be reduced in significance for some. It will be passed from generation to generation. 2c

You cant be serious.....

Pearl Bailey's lesser know cousin...she did a novelty burlesque act.

The tag line was:

"All Sailors drop anchor in Pearl Harbor."

You are full of it. Any analogy of anything online to Hitler implicates Godwin's Law. It is automatic Internet FAIL.

Read my response to Comix, the law doesn't apply when the specific subject is the Nazi's. That would be a clear redundancy.

You cant be serious.....

Perhaps, but keep in mind that as terrible as Pearl Harbor was, there are things that Hitler did that will never be reduced in significance for some. It will be passed from generation to generation. 2c

I'm hoping you are right. :wishluck:

lol

In this case we are talking about a fictional group that was created specifically from elements of the Third Reich. It's hard to inact Godwin's Law when the subject at hand is a direct corellation.

Detailed Explanation of Denial of Godwin's Law . . . :cloud9::cloud9:

You cant be serious.....

Pearl Bailey's lesser know cousin...she did a novelty burlesque act.

The tag line was:

"All Sailors drop anchor in Pearl Harbor."

As long as she doesn't look like Pearl... I'd hit it. :luhv:

lol

ts_dork__19236_zoom.jpg

lol

ts_dork__19236_zoom.jpg

Clip art put down combined with Detailed Explanation of Denial of Godwin's Law . . . (worship):facepalm:(worship)

lol

ts_dork__19236_zoom.jpg

Clip art put down combined with Detailed Explanation of Denial of Godwin's Law . . . (worship):facepalm:(worship)

lol

:tonofbricks:

...and dont forget all those folks on Alderan!

It does bother me that Anakin is portrayed as a "good guy" in the Clone War stories. It sends a mixed message to kids about good and evil.

I never understood why Lucas chose to develop vehicles for the prequel characters instead of developing the further adventures of 100% good guys: Luke, Leia, & Han.

Wasn't destroying Alderan Grand Moff Tarkin's call? Vader was there, but Tarkin gave the order. hm

Now don't quote me, but I heard that Godwin's Law is now a College course in Yale University within the Master's of Philosophy in Linear Thinking, it was expanded last semester by introducing The Jack L'Mierre principle of Innate Rationality and has become a foundation for the new Ecliptic theory of condusive psychology in Birmingham and Wichita. Yehap, that's what I heard...crazy I know...to think that L'Mierre was a TV repairman just 10 years ago...

You cant be serious.....

It’s not so much if the character is real or not, it’s the action that the character commits by which they are judged.

My point in this Hitler analogy is to say that portraying Anakin as a "hero" in the cartoon and in the form of toys, when we know he becomes a mass murderer, is really in bad taste. In the films we see his digression from a troubled good guy to a pathetic fallen hero and can understand the context.

The cartoon series does not show this change and would leave a child thinking Anakin was always a good guy. Some younger kids who have seen the prequels and the cartoon may confuse the continuity and think that Anakin was somehow healed and back to his old self after the events of Part 3. They could conclude that Obi-Wan and the Jedi forgave Anakin and all is as it was. What kind of message does that send?

...and dont forget all those folks on Alderan!

It does bother me that Anakin is portrayed as a "good guy" in the Clone War stories. It sends a mixed message to kids about good and evil.

I never understood why Lucas chose to develop vehicles for the prequel characters instead of developing the further adventures of 100% good guys: Luke, Leia, & Han.

Wasn't destroying Alderan Grand Moff Tarkin's call? Vader was there, but Tarkin gave the order. hm

The choice of location was indeed executed by Tarkin but you have to remember, Vader is the "muscle" of the Emperor and Tarkin had to provide an example of proof of the power and usefullness of the Death Star. Vader was there to oversee the "experiment" and had the ability (and the ranking power) to prevent the disaster.