• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes those and the Easter books are Kelly. Don't have these but would be fun to get them and Santa Claus Funnies.

I have a few of the Santa issues. 

11503039314_25b2a5b711_b.jpg

I have found many comic by Kelly but seldom see Peter Wheat.  

I keep thinking he should show up in bunches like theSpirit but maybe those comics get mixed up with peanut butter sandwiches.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, BB-Gun said:

No Pogo in Animal 4 but Albert the Alligator was pushing Uncle Wiggley out of the book by #11

Pogo was eventually the center character probably because he was not as crazy a Albert.

51617566652_8e37e515e3_b.jpg

Animal is a great title; high quality stories. Uncle Wiggly takes a bit of getting used to but really a great book for its day.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, BB-Gun said:

Comic Plus has a lot of Peter Wheat issues.  Here is a splash from issue 40 featuring the Raven Witch.

raven witch pw 40.jpg

The #40 is by Del Connell and Al Hubbard, not Kelly.  Still some wonderful stuff, Hubbard is a horribly underrated artist.  Most of the Peter Wheat scans at the Digital Comic Museum and Comic Book Plus are from my collection, including this one.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:18 PM, BB-Gun said:

I have found many comic by Kelly but seldom see Peter Wheat.  

I keep thinking he should show up in bunches like the Spirit but maybe those comics get mixed up with peanut butter sandwiches.

I've been working on collecting the Peter Wheat series for over a decade and am still missing lots of issues.  Agreed that you might expect them to show up in bunches, but they don't particularly.  The series is horribly hard to find, the Peter Wheat News issues are even harder, and I suspect the miniature issues for Bell Bakery would all be Gerber 10's if not 11's.  But it's been worth the hunt, because Kelly did some of his best work in comic books for them.  (Not as good as the Pogo comic strip, but better than the comic books, I think.)

On 10/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I always wanted a copy of that when I saw the ads!

Me too but I found a folded copy at the flea market and photo-shopped it.  It is two scans combined cause it is equal to a wrap around cover.

51623540953_dd2da432ab_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 12/25/2021 at 5:38 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I started reading this Pogo classic today. I had actually first read it when I found a copy in my high school library in the seventies. Figured it was a good time to get a copy and do a re-read; sadly intolerance never seems to go out of style.

0D82CD71-F756-4CB4-AD94-31D5202AB1EE.thumb.jpeg.7c0fc9923d3140721d1bd0b29d82f2cf.jpeg

A masterpiece.  I don't think it's the rarest of the Pogo books... I would say either Deck Us All With Boston Charlie or the Pogo Puce Stamp Catalog are harder... but it's possibly the most desirable one.  One of these years I just need to scan all my Pogo books and post them here.