• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

I love Walt Kelly's work, both on Pogo and on the WDCS covers. (I've tried to hold off buying the Fairy Tale Parades, Mother Goose Stories etc but it's probably only a matter of time!)

Here's my Pogo #9. Kelly did illustrations for the back covers of these as well. They are really fun books.

pogo9.jpg

pogo9back.jpg

Oh, I have more. Which issue(s) is(are) your file copy(ies) of? I'll scan the others. :thumbsup:

I thought I read somewhere that some of the painted covers were not by Kelly. Of course, he doesn't need any extra credit. His body of work is substantial. How long did he work for Disney? I heard that he worked on Dumbo, Fantasia and Pinnochio? Any Duck cartoon credits?

I'm pretty sure the #2 is Kelly, as well. The painted covers were signed by Arthur Jameson; and the FC 87 isn't a Kelly cover either, but the rest are all his.

Not sure if Kelly did anything on Fantasia off the top of my head, I know he worked on the Crows sequence in Dumbo and on Gepetto inside Monstro for Pinocchio. Which makes the comic book version of Pinocchio one of the very comics where one of the animators also drew the comic book. If nobody else beats me to it I'll pull that one out and scan the cover in a day or so.

I wouldn't say no to a Kelly cover a day; I don't have that many of his WDC&S's. My current project- other than my continual efforts on Peter Wheat, of course- is trying to put together his Four Color issues.

Edited by OtherEric

I'm not playing but I am enjoying watching from the sideline. :)

img025.jpg

:applause:

That one was the first Pogo book I ever bought, from a guy in New Zealand on eBay. I didn't know much about Pogo or Walt Kelly but the price was right and it looked cool. Little did I know...

Here is Fairy Tale Parade #7. A great copy from the Racine headquarters of Western Publishing. the back is as much fun as the front. What a great investment of a dime back in 1943!

By the way this cost a whole $33. from Heritage a couple of years ago; about $55 after commission and shipping. Still a deal.

121588.jpg.d66e0a53f4405e39ce55db47ad8eabbd.jpg

121589.jpg.7e2aed4fb999f099c4b9fedf5f1ccff4.jpg