• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

Just bought a Fairy Tale Parade #1 off eBay from Lone Star; I'll scan and post that once I get it in my hands.

Disregarding for a moment the handful of pages Kelly did for DC, and some of his cover only books, I think that gives me all but one of the major Kelly keys. I've got Animal Comics #1, Four Color #105, Pogo Possum #1, Fairy Tale Parade #1, and Adventures of Peter Wheat nn (#1). Other than the Our Gang #1, are there any books I'm forgetting?

Just bought a Fairy Tale Parade #1 off eBay from Lone Star; I'll scan and post that once I get it in my hands.

Disregarding for a moment the handful of pages Kelly did for DC, and some of his cover only books, I think that gives me all but one of the major Kelly keys. I've got Animal Comics #1, Four Color #105, Pogo Possum #1, Fairy Tale Parade #1, and Adventures of Peter Wheat nn (#1). Other than the Our Gang #1, are there any books I'm forgetting?

How about Four color 73 Three Caballeros - or does that one shot not count?

Did someone mention Four Color 71, the Three Caballeros. This is one of my favorite books for a variety of reasons. First I remember being fascinated by the clips of this movie they would show on the network Disney show as a child. Then in the early seventies as I perused my first price guide (edition 2) I was astonished to see there was a comic of the movie and by Walt Kelly no less. I might not have been completley aware of Kelly's importance at that point although I think I was aware of Pogo.

It would be another five to six years before I picked up this issue in the late seventies or early eighties at one of Seuling's Philadelphia July 4th shows. At the time i thought it was a brilliant score for $20. but in retrospect the condition is a little rough. Of course I had not seen another in looking at shows over five to six years so I considered it rare!

I actually think the back cover is nicer than the front. I will post some interior images shortly.

122471.jpg.dc3e503bfaf63972f1855bcc7347ae25.jpg

122472.jpg.2083b5116d2d5b205fcb6d9d0da5f301.jpg

I still don't know that I consider the FC 71 a key book. It's definitely a beautiful one I want to get my hands on sooner rather than later!

I do have the FC 92, with Pinocchio and Donocchio. Another very fun book; and also neat in that Kelly was one of the animators who worked on Pinocchio.

And, since I don't think it's shown up in this thread yet:

Animal24.jpg

I love the picture frame covers on Animal 17-24.

Here are a couple of Kelly books I bought within the last few weeks.

I got a kick out of the "Enchanted Head" story in #69. A knight has to find someone to marry the talking head (a prince) he carries around on a pillow.

FourColor50FairyTaleParade.jpg

FourColor69.jpg

Very nice copies :applause:

Do you consider the 69 as a western since the mouse, frog and cricket are mounted?

They are gorgeous!

What's next, King of the Royal Mounted? Or is that a northern rather than western?

JPS