• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

So when I posted the files below originally I didn't realize that this work was influenced by Mary Blair. Ms. Blair was one of Walt's early animators, a ground breaker in the field and worked on Three Caballeros. She went on to design the It's a Small World attraction for the NY World's Fair which later moved to Disneyland.

I've been meaning to scan my Pogo 1-16 run, so hold your breath for a day or two and I'll see what I can do. In the meantime here's the two Albert and Pogo Four Colors to tide you over.

FC_105.thumb.jpg.767326331ec4c31c6731fe21a60a9096.jpg

FC_148.thumb.jpg.c1c1dbc23d97a0d2d96dd9eaf13b5155.jpg

My Pogo 1 - 16 scanning has begun. I think I'll post one a day for the next couple of weeks. Here's #1 - curse that top corner...

pogo_01.thumb.jpg.db79ca626ec4fe49ee19c535d87dda41.jpg

My Pogo 1 - 16 scanning has begun. I think I'll post one a day for the next couple of weeks. Here's #1 - curse that top corner...

pogo_1.jpg

Great book even with the cursed corner. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Guest Grails
My Pogo 1 - 16 scanning has begun. I think I'll post one a day for the next couple of weeks.

:applause:

Thanks - I hadn't had these out of the box for some time, and it really struck me just how nice they are. The graduated colouring on some of the covers is just beautiful. I think #7 and #11 are my favourites.

It's not your usual cover where the company logo is incorporated into the art. The Dell logo is on the placard that duck is carrying. Betcha they loved Kelly at the editorial offices lol

It's not your usual cover where the company logo is incorporated into the art. The Dell logo is on the placard that duck is carrying. Betcha they loved Kelly at the editorial offices lol

Or vice-versa! Kelly does not get as much press as Will Eisner but he retained control of Pogo. Meaning that he must have swung a pretty interesting deal to get him into Animal Comics to start and retain the rights. I have never read this story; if anyone knows where it is chronicalled I would love to read it. Perhaps in the new strip reprint books?

40Yrs is referring to the story of how Kelly was able to retain the rights to Pogo for the strip market when in fact he started the feature and characters in his work for Dell. Interesting question to which I have never given thought before.

Btw, I just checked the material in the strip collection and this is not explained in details, though it's mentioned that though the strip did give Kelly credit, he managed to keep the rights. Maybe in the upcoming bio?

Btw, I just checked the material in the strip collection and this is not explained in details, though it's mentioned that though the strip did give Kelly credit, he managed to keep the rights. Maybe in the upcoming bio?

Mark Evanier who is friends with Walt Kelly's daughter might have this covered somewhere on his blog, "NewfromMe.com". He also has developed a site devoted to Pogo; both links are below. I'll try to look this week and see if I can find anything. News From Me is a great site for tidbits of information about Western's LA offices as Mark worked there in the early seventies and occassionally will write stories about those offices.

News from Me

Pogo Site