• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hotflips WW New Orleans Report from Cell Block 4........

32 posts in this topic

So how was the show??

No pics right now. Got a few from my cell that i will try to post later.

J/K

Thursday. Met BlazingBob of HighGradeComics.com at JFK in New York at about 5:30 in the morning. If you think he is gruff, i can tell you he had nothing on me that morning. I am not a morning person and I only had 2 hours of sleep for reasons beyond my control. Saw the wizard crew on the plane as well. Flight to NOLA was good except for that crying baby. After Bob had his coffee he finally stopped crying and the flight was smooth the rest of the way. Get to New Orleans and get to our hotels and check in. We head to Harrah's to deposit a little bit of money when Brian (Foolkiller) meets up with us for some lunch. Went to the Buffet because we (well I) was starving. I hadnt eaten in almost 24 hours. Gambled a little more and actually won a little dough in the poker room where i saw Dale Roberts at another table with his sleeping bag. I think he camped out at Harrah's. Headed back to the hotel room and napped for a couple of hours when we decided to meet Brian again and go for dinner. Went to a place called K-Paul and the food was great. I had the Filet and it was delicious. Vinny from Metropolis dropped by to chat for a bit at dinner, then it was back to Harrah's. Lost what i had originally won and a little more. Got a call from my brother and Steve who were driving from NY to tell me they got a flat. GREAT :( They were stuck for 3 hours until Triple A came to change the tire. They met up with us at the hotel and Me and my friend Steve met up with Vinny and Matt Nelson on Bourbon street to walk. Atmosphere is great. Had some laughs, went back to the hotel and went to bed.

Friday:Woke up and headed to the show to unload. It took a while for the foreman to let the vans in because there was very limited space by the laoding dock to do so. Walked the floor and saw a lot dealers that i havent seen in month. Being this was the first show of the year, this is the show where all the dealers who havent seen each other for a while share their stories, both personal and professional, since the last time we saw each other, so it was nice. Finally unloaded and headed back to the hotel. At about 9:00 P.M. about 12 of us headed to a restaurant called NOLA, which is one of Emeril Lagassi's restaurants, on Brian's reccommendation. Side note: The best meal I have ever eaten was at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. This restaurant called Nola, is on an entirely other level. The food was oustanding from the appetizer's to dessert. I had the chicken, Charles had the Filet, Steve B had the shrimp and grits, Bob had the Ribeye, Dre (Beachbum) had the shrimp as well i think. Everything was out of this world and the service was remarkable.

Ok, so here is what happened at the restaurant. While we were having coffee, 3 guys with suits and two women were waiting for the elevator. One guy starts talking to one of the people sitting with us and i notice he, Steve Borock, and Bob were getting annoyed. At least thats what i could tell. I asked Brian what this guys problem was. He either said he was in marketing or we should be in marketing. He kept rambling and rambling so i just said, "listen, we dont want your Sham-Wow!! He looked at me and i added, "Now go get your shinebox!!" ( I like movie GoodFella's) Everyone, including the waiters and staff started laughing at this guy and he went into the elevator without saying another word. The waiter said that apparently that guy and a woman were in the movie Bridesmaids. I have no idea who nor do i really care. So yes, that is what happened, and NO i was NOT arrested. lol Thanks Dre!!

Saturday: Wake up and head over to the show. There is a loooooooong line to get in. Within a couple of hours the show seems to be packed. Oh, for all you complainers, there was carpet laid down on most of the floor. Sales were steady but there was a real buzz going around the show. Attendees were glad to be there. Artist Alley was busy. We did OK for a Saturday. Sold quite a bit of comics from our rack display. We even had a customer come back just to see us for comics (woo-hoo!!). Show ends and we head back to the hotel and go to Mullate's for dinner with the CGC crew. There was 15 of us at dinner. Food was just OK. I tried the fried alligator just to say i did and it was too rubbery. To be honest it just didnt agree with me. Nor did the fried frog legs. After that, we went to Bourbon Street and just walked up and down.

Sunday: Show was busy but not nearly as busy as it was Saturday. Met some customers of mine that orders through our website so it is always nice to meet customers that you have not met face to face. Talked to some store owners in the area as well. Load out was just stupid. Very unorganized. People just dont understand that after working the whole weekend, plus what it takes to get to a show as far as traveling, etc, that dealers can become a little anxious when things dont go smoothly. What really ticks me off is when other dealers try take screw another dealer so they can get in first. Anyways, I was a little upset when i finally got to load my van. That being said, we loaded the van and Charles and Steve headed back to NY. Me, Bob and Dre decided to go out for dinner. We looked at this place called August (Dre's recommendation) and decided it wasnt for us so we went back to NoLa. It was so good Friday night we said what the hey. When we got there we had the same waiter we did Friday night and he brought out Tuna Tar-tar appetizers at no charge. We ate a great meal again. Then noticed walking out of the elevator Brandi and Jarrod of storage wars fame. Dre said he seen them at the airport in Chicago or something.

MondayFlew back to NY and back to reality.

Conclusion:

This was a great show. WWChicago is my favorite show of the year, but this is great. The show was more crowded than last year and i think in due time this is gonna be one of the better shows to attend during the year. I didnt do great business wise at the show but it was OK, not terrible either. If this becomes a 3-day show I think it has the potential to be like Chicago, if not than at least Philly. Wizard did a great job and my only complaint would be the way the floor was laid out. Next time i talk to Wizard i will let them know what i mean. That being said, I cant wait until next year.

Jeff

Sweet report. :headbang:

Here's an update for you. My poster went in an empty long box which went in Dale's van for a ride with him back to KY so that he could bring it down to me at MegaCon in a couple weeks & I could keep it off the plane.

:facepalm:

lol We worked out all the scenarios we could. That seemed like the best route. Longer, but the best route. Just think of the stories your poster is gonna tell you when it finally sees you a MegaCon. All the sightseeing, the road trip with Dale. That poster is not gonna shut up.

I was such an instigator and trouble maker in New Orleans... good times.

:devil:

Not for nothing, so did I. Good friends, good conversations all mixed with a little funny drama from time to time. Had a lot of laughs. Took my attention away from back home for a little bit.

A real man would have changed his own flat :sumo:

Charles and Steve were driving. 'Nuff said. I flew.

But in all honesty, i wouldnt have either. 8,000 pounds in a rented van. Triple A is your friend. Plus, enterprise took care of us when we returned it because the tire light was on when we got it and they said not to worry about it.

A real man would have changed his own flat :sumo:

Charles and Steve were driving. 'Nuff said. I flew.

But in all honesty, i wouldnt have either. 8,000 pounds in a rented van. Triple A is your friend. Plus, enterprise took care of us when we returned it because the tire light was on when we got it and they said not to worry about it.

I worked for Enterprise for 3 1/2 long years after college...you couldn't imagine the mess they say to customers just so they take the car/van off the lot :devil:

Here's an update for you. My poster went in an empty long box which went in Dale's van for a ride with him back to KY so that he could bring it down to me at MegaCon in a couple weeks & I could keep it off the plane.

Well I can personally vouch that the poster was in fine shape when Dale put it in the box, but how it fares during the journey to Kentucky only time will tell. That box looked rather rickety to me. :baiting:

Well I can personally vouch that the poster was in fine shape when Dale put it in the box, but how it fares during the journey to Kentucky only time will tell. That box looked rather rickety to me. :baiting:

:eek:

Do you have any idea how much the idea of a rickety box housing my precious poster triggers my high anxiety OCD?

Do you have any idea how much the idea of a rickety box housing my precious poster triggers my high anxiety OCD?

:roflmao: Thus my post Bill. Hell, I thought you had some Ditko OA in that tube the way you were hovering over it!

Nice meeting you though and hope you had a great time in The City. (thumbs u