• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thief of Thieves

2,194 posts in this topic

Would it matter if I said that I even e-mailed the bidder and no response?

Does it make me a bad person that I even checked the address and there's no box number attached, just an office suite number?

Does it make me even a worse person that I called the number and there's no such person?

Does it make a insufficiently_thoughtful_person that I had to protect my best interest, and rather than waiting for a 0 percent feedback buyer, I decided to go with a more likely candidate?

Not really. You posted that you immediately sent out the 2nd chance offer. Even if you emailed the original buyer did you allow 4 days and follow the eBay rules regarding cancelling the sale? Until the original sale is completed or cancelled then how could it be sold to someone else?

Does it make me a bad person that I even checked the address and there's no box number attached, just an office suite number?

Does it make me even a worse person that I called the number and there's no such person?

Does it make a insufficiently_thoughtful_person that I had to protect my best interest, and rather than waiting for a 0 percent feedback buyer, I decided to go with a more likely candidate?

You updated your post after my response. :taptaptap:

All of those are reasons to file cancelling the transaction and leaves you open to having the winning bidder neg you. They would be well within their rights to neg you. If you're good with that then it's your business.

Most of my comments were directed to the idea that solely because a bidder has zero feedback the seller is entitled to not complete the sale.

If you aren't interested in following eBay rules, don't sell on eBay.

Your auction ended at 8:11 pm PDT last night. At 8:41 pm you posted that you sold the book to the second highest bidder which means you gave the high bidder less than 30 mins to complete the transaction. Do you honestly think this is a good way of doing business? Christ - if this had happened to a boardie, there'd be a 10 page thread in Comics General calling out the seller for being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed :doh:

Time will tell if the guy was willing to pay I guess but there is no chance of you being right. It is completely your own decision to break rules and lie to complete a sale but I wouldn't describe it as being 'right'. 2c

If you aren't interested in following eBay rules, don't sell on eBay.

Your auction ended at 8:11 pm PDT last night. At 8:41 pm you posted that you sold the book to the second highest bidder which means you gave the high bidder less than 30 mins to complete the transaction. Do you honestly think this is a good way of doing business? Christ - if this had happened to a boardie, there'd be a 10 page thread in Comics General calling out the seller for being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed :doh:

Wow. Just wow. 30 mins?

i go with my instinct...i can often sense when a buyer is going to bail, whether it's right when the auction ends or 2 days later. I've pulled the trigger the same day and my instincts proved correct, never did hear from the person who won the auction.

I agree with Michael and Jeff, BUT 100% of my 0 feedback people have either: Not payed within 7 days, or have tried to scam me out of the auctions item (2 to date). Thankfully I protect and insure my items when they're delivered. I still keep hope though.

30 min's? You must give them the benefit of the doubt, I still do even though the track record is awful.

i go with my instinct...i can often sense when a buyer is going to bail, whether it's right when the auction ends or 2 days later. I've pulled the trigger the same day and my instincts proved correct, never did hear from the person who won the auction.

How many comic book auctions have you actually had on eBay?

I agree with Michael and Jeff, BUT 100% of my 0 feedback people have either: Not payed within 7 days, or have tried to scam me out of the auctions item (2 to date). Thankfully I protect and insure my items when they're delivered. I still keep hope though.

30 min's? You must give them the benefit of the doubt, I still do even though the track record is awful.

I've had exactly two non-paying buyers within the last year - both with a ton of feedback, both ignored all attempts at communication. In the same timeframe I've probably sold to 15-20 ebayers with 0 feedback and every single one of them paid without any problems.

In my experience, a buyer's feedback really doesn't make much difference when it comes to whether they're going to pay or not - much like the Probation List on these boards contains a mixture of new boardies and people who've been around forever.

This whole trying to block 0 feedback buyers, firing off requests to cancel the transaction if a buyer doesn't pay within 24 hours, and immediately sending 2nd chance offers without giving the 1st buyer a chance to pay is part of the reason why eBay has gotten progressively worse for sellers over the years - it's a environment for a new eBayer to be dumped into and when they start complaining, that's when eBay starts tightening the rules.

That's why I like Jeff.... :)

But seriously, it was my choice to do what I did...if it bites me in the arse, then so be it, but I would never do this to anyone of you..most of you have e-bay ratings in the thousands.