• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time to test your grading skills!

71 posts in this topic

James,

Thanx for your reply. My main concern is the overall grade- not just the LR corner.

Did you happen to notice the tiny tear almost half-way down the right edge? And the roughness along the lower edge next to Supes' elbow? Still think the JLA #21 is better than the GL #40?

Don't get me wrong, James, I'm not trying to start a fight; just trying to figure out how I could be so far off.

Also, note the grades given on this thread:

Bonds25- 9.0

Supapimp- 8.5

FF- 8.5-9.0

CI- 9.0

Jqel- 8.5-9.0

greggy- 8.5

Darth- 7.5

Murph0- 8.5

MikeS- 8.5-9.0

Borq- 9.0

Flying D- 7.5

I entered grades you all would give "not accounting for my disappointment" since that was what I was looking for. My fault, I should have worded it better.

All but Darth & FD graded it higher than CGC. And yes, I'm aware that grading a scan is not the same as the book itself. But you can not deny the fact that the great majority agreed on condition in general; and the agreement was higher than CGC. So I guess the consolation, if there is any, is that my grading is not out of date or in-valid...?

Thanx again for your input. smile.gif

Debating and fighting aren't the same thing, especially given two people who seem as ego-balanced as you and I. smile.gif

Only four people have been in a good position to grade the book--you and the three people at CGC. The grades assigned by us are half-blind; 15 half-blind grades aren't even as good as a single fully sighted grade. I know that my grade was given before I knew about the crunch in the LLC.

Your defect descriptions are almost more useful than the scan; I hadn't noticed the wear on the bottom of that 9.2. That wear is consistent with several other 9.2s I have, as is the tear. But put them all together, and I wouldn't have given that one any higher than 9.0.

What do you think the Green Lantern should have gotten? I still firmly believe that even if you resubmitted it a dozen times, all the graders have an automatic formula in their head about the maximum assignable grade to a comic with a crease, and based upon what I've seen from them, a crease of that length that fully breaks color would get no higher than 8.5. I posted in another thread a table of crease lengths and maximum assignable grades I think CGC gives for comics with those creases; that Green Lantern falls smack into the 8.5 category from that table, not counting the second smaller crease nor the LLC crunch.

I was expecting a 9.0 concurrent with most of the others. I guess it was just dumb luck that my other early Silvers had no corner creases like the GL40. Now I gotta go through my possible submissions again and re-check 'cuz I still can't believe a book as nice as this with that small of a crease only rates an 8.0 confused.gif

As for re-submitting the GL40...I'll wait 'til I can afford to throw away money on a risk like this. But I'm not selling it with an 8.0; I know I won't get what I believe it's worth.

In fact, I may have to reconsider CGCing any more books; I'm just not THAT anal about grading (anyone who takes offense, please substitute 'anal' with 'strict'...feel better now?). This revelation is making me think twice about the whole 3rd party grading issue.

I just don't know.

Supa,

You're referring to the JLA #21? Yea, I agree. I've never been a really big Golden Age fan, but having that many big wigs on the cover at once- and for the first time- was enough for me to buy it back in '85 for $25.

Sidebar: I got it in Denver at a Mile High shop (they mis-priced it grin.gif ) while I was down there checking out a GL collection from an independent owner. The good news: it was indeed complete. The bad news: it was complete...garbage!!

I stopped off at the shop on the way to the airport. Good thing I did; made the trip worthwhile. I did, however, toss the COA; what did I care about where it came from? If I ever wanted to sell it, that piece of paper would have helped. Oops. Oh well.

It's been a month since this thread was last posted.

For those of you who couldn't sleep until you found out the fate of the Green Lantern #40 that was only graded an 8.0----

I called up CGC and talked to Paul Litch. He logged on to this thread and checked out the scans (see page 1). After a short discussion and looking over the graders' notes, he said to send it back specifically to Steve Borock: att REVIEW. He deemed it worthy of another look over (they don't do this often & only on the weekends, time permitting).

Just got a call from Paul this morning and guess what! Boy, you're gonna laugh at this: the back cover stain that was in the notes is actually on the INSIDE back cover.....ok...

No note of this on the label; it was obviously mis-written by a grader. Mystery solved. I guess. But I can't believe they would leave this bit of info off the label. If I try to sell this, with an appropriate scan, I know people are gonna be confused. If I want to be deceptive, I could not mention this defect and even sell this as an "under-graded" book! I'll make more $$, CGC will make more $$ if it's re-submitted, and the buyer will get shafted which is bad for the hobby and the future of comic collecting. I'm surprised this isn't already a HUGE problem. confused.gif

I guess I will sell this comic- with the necessary info- since this whole fiasco is leaving a bad taste in my mouth shocked.gif (open wider).

Rick

........we have talked many times about the removal of grading notes from the label.............it is bad news...........

.........ok so maybe the front cover speaks for itself, but the back cover?

.........usually back cover scans are not provided by sellers on ebay, so if anything exists on the back cover you will not know until the book is in your hands..........

.........i was under the impression that they were still noting interior defects on the label, your case indicates that this is not the case........GROAN.......

Oh please Darth, call me "MR." JLA,

In referrence to your 'siamese page' implications...what I do in private is- uh, just a minute (OOOOooohhhh UUrrmm Yeeeaaahhh!!!) smirk.gifgrin.gif - my own business.

Besides, as great and powerful as the GL's are, they just don't do it for me. Now the Flash!! There's a stud; I'm as fast as he is...in some ways....

So---- how 'bout them Cowboys?!!

Rick

PS: I've decided to sell the book WITH the 8.0 label and necessary info. Freakin' CGC tongue.gif