• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time to test your grading skills!

71 posts in this topic

H'llo all,

I received a book back from CGC and I'm rather dissapointed, not to mention baffled, at the grade given. Please inspect the following scan & give me your opinions and grades. Then I'll reveal the grade it received. And no calling CGC with the barcode # (that would be cheating). Thanx to all who give their input- even you, Darth.

Rick

OK, now I'm pissed!

pause. breathe.

Uh..can someone please tell me why my picture won't show? I've tried sending via Vistascan & Presto Pagemanager at 300, 400 & 600 dpi. I'm using the same files that I use for ebay, but they're not going through. I'm using the browse window on CGC's message page...? Should I send with an http address? And if yes, then how?

Maybe I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person...so go ahead and hit me with your best shots guys; just help me out when you're through PLEASE.

Thanx, your humble (and obviously retarded) colleague,

Rick

They sound too big...I think there's an attachment size limit of 75K or so.

Stick it in your own web space (perhaps that given away free by most Internet service providers) and include a link to it here, that's what I do.

Thanx James. I'll look into that tomorrow; I've never used web space before. As for size limitations, I tried several times at the sizes mentioned above. Sometimes it came back file too big, but obviously it was accepted(sic) twice above in some way. It's just not showing.

Oh, and size limit is mentioned at 70000 bytes FYI.

Rick smile.gif

I'm just taking a guess and based on my history with similar bumps. I had a Journey into Mystery record reprint that was 9.4/9.6 otherwise have a bump. However, that copy looked a lot fresher than the GL 40. As I got a 9.0 on that one, I would figure 8.5 may be appropriate. However, in your initial post, you mentioned that you were baffled. Therefore, I dropped it to the next level just for prosperity's sake. frown.gif

CGC 9.0 VF/NM

Are there more impact creases along the top and bottom of the spine and along the edges? I know they downgrade quite severely for those. Not 100% sure b/c of migration of dirt to back cover. Is that also a tear to lower bc edge or a stain?

Got a batch of GL's back from CGC recently, some of which I thought were slightly hard done personally.

Al.

The best CGC would give a comic with the two creases in the lower-right corner is a 9.0. If there were just one crease, it might be a 9.0, but since it appears to me there are two creases there, I'd say that LRC alone reduces it to 8.5. I've got several CGC examples similar to this one that are very high grade save for a single corner crease.

Since I can't see any other defects in the scans, I'm going with 8.5. Keep in mind that I only place about 50% confidence in any comic that I can't hold under bright, fluorescent light; there are often defects that do NOT show up in scans nor under normal room lighting, but are significant enough once seen under bright light to reduce grade. I've seen subscription creases so light that were very hard to notice until you held them right under bright light. Also, there are defects which you can't see at ALL which can significantly reduce grade. One example of this is slight moisture damage that doesn't cause paper rippling. Reynold Jay has a few CGC 6.0s that looked like 9.8s, except that the whole comic was slightly water-logged yet displayed NO rippling whatsoever.

Whenever you post scans of a comic, understanding that scans hide entire ranges of defects, it's also best that you post descriptions of the defects you can see since you are able to see the comic in person and hold it under varying intensities of light. Does anybody else see defects besides those in the LRC? Have you spotted any others, JLA?