• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious, yet Simple, Forum Sales Etiquette Question...

130 posts in this topic

Always a tough call...as most of us would agree, generally poor form...but as a community, when a price is perceived as exhorbitantly over-priced, and one feels a compelling duty to protect fellow boardies from getting burned, again, it is a tough call...

Probably a PM first but if the seller came off all put-out and surly, maybe I'd feel then more of a duty to post it... hm(shrug)

Wouldn't you pull a friend aside at a con who was considering to pay double on a book and tell them "dude, that book is worth half that price"...just sayin'

As for the practice, especially if you know the book is being flipped, I feel a pretty strong sense of umbrage at this predator type mentality by the seller... :censored:

2c

Ok, I think you get where I'm coming from.

Is it better to sit by and have a fellow board member pay more than double FMV (as opined by a couple of experts in the particular genre) for a book, or try to do something to avoid such an occurrence.

If i was on the receiving end of such a sale, and made the purchase despite little knowledge of the FMV, but proceeded on the basis that it came from a fellow board member and no red flags had been raised by anyone else, I'd be pretty put off, when someone finally clued me in to how much I overpaid.

Oh, I'd still blame myself for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but I'd feel bad that people with knowledge did nothing to help... just saying...

Honestly... I don't think anyone here is going to be duped into paying a overly high price on anything listed here.

This bunch is pretty darn savey :)

:applause:

I have to agree. It's rare when most will fall for anything on here. The knowledge of the hobby on here is amazingly widespread and deep.

hm "Widespread and deep" - what was I thinking of? :blush:

Always a tough call...as most of us would agree, generally poor form...but as a community, when a price is perceived as exhorbitantly over-priced, and one feels a compelling duty to protect fellow boardies from getting burned, again, it is a tough call...

Probably a PM first but if the seller came off all put-out and surly, maybe I'd feel then more of a duty to post it... hm(shrug)

Wouldn't you pull a friend aside at a con who was considering to pay double on a book and tell them "dude, that book is worth half that price"...just sayin'

As for the practice, especially if you know the book is being flipped, I feel a pretty strong sense of umbrage at this predator type mentality by the seller... :censored:

2c

Is it better to sit by and have a fellow board member pay more than double FMV (as opined by a couple of experts in the particular genre) for a book, or try to do something to avoid such an occurrence.

If i was on the receiving end of such a sale, and made the purchase despite little knowledge of the FMV, but proceeded on the basis that it from from a fellow board member and no red flags had been raised, I'd be pretty put off, when someone finally clued me in to how much I overpaid.

Oh, I'd still blame myself for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but I'd feel bad that people with knowledge did nothing to help... just saying...

I'm going to venture and guess its a GA book that isn;t sold very often or an underground comic. Those I have no clue on FMV lol

Honestly... I don't think anyone here is going to be duped into paying a overly high price on anything listed here.

I have to agree. It's rare when most will fall for anything on here. The knowledge of the hobby on here is amazingly widespread and deep.

So "widespread and deep" that I actually sold some Rupp Originals a few Clooneythons ago. Proof positive that this bunch will buy anything at any price. :cool:

Is it considered acceptable behavior to post a pricing opinion comment in a Forum Only Sales thread once it's been closed by the OP??

You could be subtle about it, "congratulations on the sale." No one is ever forced to buy here, deception or a history of shady salesmanship being the only real cause for posting negative opinions in a sales thread IMO.

Is it considered acceptable behavior to post a pricing opinion comment in a Forum Only Sales thread once it's been closed by the OP??

You mean something like "Wow, that was a good price, nice purchase (thumbs u " ?

I see people do it all the time (shrug)

Not exactly the direction my opinion would be heading... :(

More like 'you're price was insane'?

Exactly, but a bit more diplomatic (and it wouldn't be just my opinion)...

To what end?

To alert the uninformed on the Board to the preposterous sale price...

Preposterous to whom?

I've long since resigned myself to setting my own values. I've overpaid many times, and while it would have been nice to have a more experienced collector step in, in most of those cases I would have missed out on the comic.

This is probably a pre-internet mind set, but when I have the rare combination of a sought after item available and the funds to buy it, I don't mind too much taking a bit of a bath.

That being said, what's the FMV on that incomplete Marvel Mystery 8?

2c

If i was on the receiving end of such a sale, and made the purchase despite little knowledge of the FMV, but proceeded on the basis that it came from a fellow board member and no red flags had been raised by anyone else, I'd be pretty put off, when someone finally clued me in to how much I overpaid.

Carrying that line of thought further you would wear yourself out trying to contact all of the high bidders on lots that sell for way over fair market in the various auctions.

Yeah, I consider the move un-cool at the least. People always want a "steal" and "Great deal" well then fine wal mart is up the street.

I've long since resigned myself to setting my own values. I've overpaid many times, and while it would have been nice to have a more experienced collector step in, in most of those cases I would have missed out on the comic.

So true - no one has ever warned me about all the books I've overpaid for around here, and there have been many. I suppose it all works out, as I've also gotten what I consider a lot of good deals here as well.

So "widespread and deep" that I actually sold some Rupp Originals a few Clooneythons ago. Proof positive that this bunch will buy anything at any price. :cool:

I was one of them And to top that off.. Mine was actually Blank lol

Ah. The beauty of a Clooneython.

I was one of them And to top that off.. Mine was actually Blank lol

Ah. The beauty of a Clooneython.

That was the Invisible Woman sketch I did. Took me three weeks to get it right :cool:

:grin:

So fair market value can only be determined by a past sale which has to be recorded by GPA?

Why not by seller/buyer agreement in which a book is offered and a book is purchased? I can tell you one thing, there are far more sales EACH DAY that take place in this manner, than books sold which are priced only if at or below the last GPA sale.

By your standard of reasoning, the only direction GPA could ever go is down.

How are you going to feel if the buyer sees what you've written and cancels the sale and "credits" you for giving him the reason to do it?

I don't venture into the vintage comics sales areas since I'm rarely interested in buying any, but my experience here is that most things sell for less than the going rate elsewhere, with a few exceptions that regularly seem to sell for more here than anywhere else. When it comes to those items I don't know what the deal is. Trusted seller? It's only a few "hot" items I see it with though. I figure the comic in question, if someone here pulled the trigger for double FMV when it's gotta be something special. Maybe a Timely or something? Sad to think a newbie would pay double what those things go for, but when you're buying a 4 or 5 figure I would do an obsessive amount of research before I pulled the trigger anywhere. Hopefully others would do the same. If it's something ultra rare that just doesn't come up for sale then who is to say what it's really worth? Seems like HG Action #1's double in value every year, or is a new sucker born every year? Hard to tell hm

If only a few people are powerful enough to get FMV, is that really FMV?

I'm from the class of 2003 so I got tenure, seniority, old boy network status.

Too bad for the rest of you suckers! :acclaim: