• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie #1 Expert Needed
4 4

246 posts in this topic

This is just a thought, and purely just as a conversation piece. What if Jim Warren himself reprinted them, to spark up a slow selling title like Eerie was when the " counterfeits" were made circa mid 70's. As Mr. Warren was a master salesman? Thoughts.

7 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

This is just a thought, and purely just as a conversation piece. What if Jim Warren himself reprinted them, to spark up a slow selling title like Eerie was when the " counterfeits" were made circa mid 70's. As Mr. Warren was a master salesman? Thoughts.

Wow. 

I hadn't thought of that. That would have been pretty sneaky, offering a $500 reward that he knew was never going to be claimed...

15 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

To me, this is a very plausible option.  Another is that an employee suggested a "2nd print" and Warren tacitly endorsed by not doing anything to stop it.  Any number of things could have easily taken place.  I'm not suggesting that Jim Warren was dishonorable in anyway.  Just that clearly Eerie 1 was hastily put together to procure a copyright, nothing more.  Beyond that, I don't think it really mattered to him.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Grammar

2 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

To me, this is an very plausible option.  Another is that an employee suggested a "2nd print" and Warren tacitly endorsed by not doing anything to stop it.  Any number of things could have easily taken place.  I'm not suggesting that Jim Warren was dishonorable in anyway.  Just that clearly Eerie 1 was hastily put together to procure a copyright, nothing more.  Beyond that, I don't think it really mattered to him.

I think you are correct.

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

Originals are clean. The counterfeit is uneven. Compare the photos below. 3 pictures. 1 original, 2 counterfeit copies. Can you spot the difference?

C4706838-D489-4830-8C3E-096025D18399.jpeg.a94d2fa1757910d2d1f27c38bda0ae5b.jpeg

2F9DB98E-1C5B-495C-B1D3-975E764FC8EF.thumb.jpeg.2379c63826100e789d5df961446217ec.jpeg9C8BFF25-527F-4429-8700-09F178827438.jpeg.56573c2daf1c0f4dfb6f369814c8dd91.jpeg

And it appears the line work on the original cover is clearer, too...

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I think you are correct.

Well, I did some more research on the current copies up for sale on eBay. There's only one copy out of five that looks to be a genuine 1st edition (at least, it passes the criteria set forth in Overstreet). Another copy appears to have elements of both printings (inconclusive), and 3 appear to be 2nd print/counterfeit...

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, I did some more research on the current copies up for sale on eBay. There's only one copy out of five that looks to be a genuine 1st edition (at least, it passes the criteria set forth in Overstreet). Another copy appears to have elements of both printings (inconclusive), and 3 appear to be 2nd print/counterfeit...

I'm surprised  there are even that many up for sale.

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I'm surprised  there are even that many up for sale.

I've been seeing a lot of these things around lately.  It makes sense as interest in Warren (and other) mags is on the rise.  A lot of people looking to move copies, whatever they may be.

11 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've been seeing a lot of these things around lately.  It makes sense as interest in Warren (and other) mags is on the rise.  A lot of people looking to move copies, whatever they may be.

I also did a search for sold auctions and found 4 more copies that have sold recently, none of which appear to be first editions. So out of 10 copies, only 2 of them appear to be first editions (I'm counting the copy on Comiclink as well)...

Edited by The Lions Den

I wonder how many of the counterfeits were printed? 

I do know I have more questions than answers for this crazy book.

I dont know if I would pay 4K for an original,  but I did pay a reasonable price for my counterfeit.  So in a way I have sufficed that completist urge in me on my run.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I wonder how many of the counterfeits were printed? 

I do know I have more questions than answers for this crazy book.

I dont know if I would pay 4K for an original,  but I did pay a reasonable price for my counterfeit.  So in a way I have sufficed that completist urge in me on my run.

Very tough to say how many counterfeits/bootlegs are out there. Since the Heritage site is down today, I can't search their archives to see what their history looks like. I'm curious to see if the same ratio exists in their archives...  

And the one copy that's being sold on eBay that does appear to be original is priced between 2 and 3k...  hm

Some of the other factors here are the possibility that copies without the blue-striped staples have had the staples replaced. This would be easier to do on this book due to the small number of wraps involved. There are usually telltale signs of staple replacement, however. This does open the door for a number of other issues though, such as married wraps or married covers. Again, there are usually clues to help determine if this has taken place, but when a book commands this kind of price, there always seems to be someone attempting to scam potential customers...  :flamed:

Looks like he’s been fishing that book up for a while too and a high price.I don’t like it’s scans either. Maybe not a fake, but those aren’t great scans. Also the fact he’s only sold 1 item recently (a cymbal) gives me pause if that’s even a legit seller. I’m thinking he could be a scammer. I’d want a hell of a lot more info....

4 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Looks like he’s been fishing that book up for a while too and a high price.I don’t like it’s scans either. Maybe not a fake, but those aren’t great scans. Also the fact he’s only sold 1 item recently (a cymbal) gives me pause if that’s even a legit seller. I’m thinking he could be a scammer. I’d want a hell of a lot more info....

SHIELDS UP!!! YELLOW ALERT!!!

2059031609_Shatner(618x412).jpg.92a02901cd1f8ca7c5bfbc19b9d55993.jpg   

There are a number of cheap replica versions out there you can buy. They make these not just for Eerie but a number of color comics are available. These are cheap photocopy knock offs. The legit seller sells them as such. Others do not. I have them in near actual size to larger magazine sizes. They are cool to own. Below is an example probably taken from a copy of an original with poor printing quality. Would this fool you as a first print? Scans are a bit hard to see but look at some of the print quality.

4878271E-9BF0-40EF-8508-6824AB72CE7F.thumb.jpeg.6060f760425240621cfe1e2412a5eeef.jpeg

87F2D8AF-245C-4A97-838F-734201EF0361.thumb.jpeg.b6f53b6768f8c14de9522a29d38f2eb2.jpeg236A5A18-56CB-4FCB-9815-2BF775900CE9.thumb.jpeg.f0512e3963904962e8a81f1f596c918a.jpeg

AE2CA346-F228-47AA-88D2-A2E8D665E5CB.thumb.jpeg.cf7e99ed60e08484c52dc5d0c4364ed7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

SHIELDS UP!!! YELLOW ALERT!!!

2059031609_Shatner(618x412).jpg.92a02901cd1f8ca7c5bfbc19b9d55993.jpg   

If you’re talking about the one at $2650 out of Central Islip, I had a pretty horrible experience with him on a Blazing Combat 1 about a year and a half ago. Grossly overgraded,and when I sent him the detailed pictures of his own book with the defects I was pointing out, accused me of switching out his book with another. Even more drama with the return shipping, as he refused to sign for it and then it went missing with the post office. It eventually came back to me, and I let him know. I the told him I would mail it to him again. I had gotten my refund from PayPal at that point. I shipped it again, and he wouldn’t even cover my shipping cost. A real treat to deal with. 

So one of the marks of these replicas is the bald man is correct as in the original but the printing is so poor things like the lines on the roof aren’t there much. These weren’t intended by some sellers to be anything more than copies for collectors to own but I’ve already seen people trying to pass them off as originals like everything else these days. These are super easy to spot though.