• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

What printings are typically found in that Superman Collector's Pack on the right end?

It varies slightly. Out of the four sets I've had that were open, three of them looked like this. Including the sealed one I opened myself. And just a heads up, don't assume you have mint books in the sealed box. I can assure you the guy that packed them was not a collector.

Superman 75 - 4th

Superman 74 -3rd

Man of Steel 18 - 4th

Man of Steel 19 - 2nd

Action Comics 684 - 2nd

Justice League America 69 - 3rd

Adventures of Superman 497 - 3rd

The only thing that differed with the other set was Man of Steel 18 which was 5th and Adventures of Superman 497 - 2nd print.

I have a whole death of superman section (slabbed and raw) in my sale thread for those interested.

Jurgens. MegaCon. Who else is getting their S75 Platinum signed?

Great Prices on Superman 75 Poly-bagged 9.8 and Superman 75 Platinum 9.6. I wish you would have posted a few days earlier. I would have grabbed the poly-bagged edition for my Jurgens submission. Only ended up submitting three books; I have no luck finding high quality raw 75's.

I have a whole death of superman section (slabbed and raw) in my sale thread for those interested.

Jurgens. MegaCon. Who else is getting their S75 Platinum signed?

My platinum is on its way down there. Probably only a 9.4 at max though.

What printings are typically found in that Superman Collector's Pack on the right end?

It varies slightly. Out of the four sets I've had that were open, three of them looked like this. Including the sealed one I opened myself. And just a heads up, don't assume you have mint books in the sealed box. I can assure you the guy that packed them was not a collector.

Superman 75 - 4th

Superman 74 -3rd

Man of Steel 18 - 4th

Man of Steel 19 - 2nd

Action Comics 684 - 2nd

Justice League America 69 - 3rd

Adventures of Superman 497 - 3rd

The only thing that differed with the other set was Man of Steel 18 which was 5th and Adventures of Superman 497 - 2nd print.

So in regards to condition is it possible these box sets where thrown together with maybe copies of these books that had been returned back to DC from shops or stores and condition could wildly vary because of that?

So in regards to condition is it possible these box sets where thrown together with maybe copies of these books that had been returned back to DC from shops or stores and condition could wildly vary because of that?

I doubt they were books that were sent back. Many of the later printings appear to have been produced exclusively for these collectors packs. The books are sometimes damaged because they barely fit in the box, especially the funeral set. They look as if a drunk minimum wage employee missed the the opening a few times before he one hand shoved them into the box resulting in scuff marks on the outer covers, corner and spine damage, plus wrinkled pages. Interior books look good though.

Was the demand really that high at that time for DC to re-print these issues? I can understand Superman #75 (Bar code/no bar code) + 2nd, 3rd, 4th Print + Black Bag + Platinum. But MOS #18 made it all the way to 5th Print. A couple more made it to 4th Print. But what do you guys think of how it affected the industry overall?

I think the Death of Superman was the peak of comic book collecting. The news was in every media source, not just here in the US but all over the world. Nowadays the only time we'll hear about a comic is whenever a AF15 pr AC1 sells for a gazillion dollars. Or when a comic is turned into a movie or TV show. But I know a lot of people who didn't even know that Walking Dead is based on a comic.

It's sad that the over-production and re-prints turned away a lot of collectors. Not only now that we realize how hard to get a hold of these reprints in great condition, making them a true "hard to find" gem

I remember going into my LCS as a 10 year old and not being able to buy some of the issues because they sold out in the first hours of the store opening. I think I managed to get a 3rd printing of MoS 18 because of missing the first two prints.

There was some news coverage when they killed Captain America if I remember correctly. It is rare now for comics to make other media sources outside of the methods you mention. As far as the reprints go, no one cared about "variant" covers back then. Then people really started to hate the DoS run and books just got damaged because no one treated them worth a damn.

As far as the reprints go, no one cared about "variant" covers back then. Then people really started to hate the DoS run and books just got damaged because no one treated them worth a damn.

Because the artwork was the same, reprints were viewed as "too bad you didn't get a 1st print" books.

It wasn't until reprints (printed months after the originals) changed the artwork (new cover, sketch cover, etc.)

that people started caring about them and calling them "variants".

If you can just wait a few months and print something again with a new cover, that seems like easy money for publishers.

I agree. I know I never cared when I was younger but now I love having all 5 prints of MoS sitting in front of me. The roman numeral for the print and the different colored logo really makes them enjoyable for some reason.

What do CGC Superman 75's sell for and does anyone know what kind of print run there was on these books. I have a couple of them for sure. It would probably take me a long time to dig through my old collection to find them, but if it is worth the time I'd love to know. Thanks for any info you can share. Also is there a platinum return of superman. I feel like I have a couple copies of both. Did the Death have a silver bleeding S crest on the cover/bag and the Return have a solid silver S crest on the cover/bag?

The print run on the 75s is massive. The biggest thing about the black bag issues is that they tend to get a crease on the back from the bag if not opened back when they came out.

The Death was a black bag with a bleeding red S. There was a platinum version though that was silverish. The return bag was white with a red s and also had a platinum version. This one is not bleeding.

Was the demand really that high at that time for DC to re-print these issues? I can understand Superman #75 (Bar code/no bar code) + 2nd, 3rd, 4th Print + Black Bag + Platinum. But MOS #18 made it all the way to 5th Print. A couple more made it to 4th Print. But what do you guys think of how it affected the industry overall?

I think the Death of Superman was the peak of comic book collecting. The news was in every media source, not just here in the US but all over the world. Nowadays the only time we'll hear about a comic is whenever a AF15 pr AC1 sells for a gazillion dollars. Or when a comic is turned into a movie or TV show. But I know a lot of people who didn't even know that Walking Dead is based on a comic.

It's sad that the over-production and re-prints turned away a lot of collectors. Not only now that we realize how hard to get a hold of these reprints in great condition, making them a true "hard to find" gem

I understand the 5 printings of MOS 18 a lot more than the 3+ printings of the funeral books. The release of Superman 75 probably created an increased demand for all prior released books. Prior to Supes 75, all of the Doomsday storyline books had much lower sales. According to Diamond Comic Distributors this is where the books ranked in the top 100 books for each month. Sorry I can't find my Wizard 18 for the December numbers. And remember these numbers are only in comparison to other books sold that month. I wish there was more data available.

October 1992

77 - Man of Steel 18

81 - Superman 74

90 - Adventures of Superman 497

91 - Action Comics 684

92 - Justice League America 69

November 1992

1 - Superman 75 - Collectors Edition

14 - Man of Steel 19

22 - Superman 75

25 - Adventures of Superman 498

61 - Justice League America 70