• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

Already have a 71 in universal and the 69 is the only one of the 3 JLA books I really like. Also I think I have another 80 or 3 that made the 9.8 cutoff. Will have to check later on.

The 3 JLA books are some of my favorites. Mainly because as a kid collecting this set, the three local stores that sold comics did not carry that title. It wasn't until a month or so after the books were released that my mom finally took me to a comic shop to get them. And at that point they were way above cover price.

About 10 years ago when I got back into comics, I had an obsession with buying these books. I just couldn't see passing up the books on ebay at such cheap prices compared to when I was a kid. After buying about 40+ of each, the novelty finally wore off.

Print run on 75 platinum was 10,000. Not too sure on the 500.

Was it a retailer incentive based off orders? I remember my friend had to buy like 50-100 Sups 75 to get a platinum I think it was 50.

This is what I found in a Comic Buyers Guide from early December 1992. Not sure if this accounts for all 10,000 of the issues but it appears they were given out free.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Always wondered about the story behind Superman #75 Platinum Edition..... hm

Congrats on the platinum sig, with Jerry's signature.... I know I've been trying to get a plat 9.8 but they all keep coming back as a 9.6..... Also Jerry's sig is really hard to get, since I think he only does one or two con a years (if ever) congrats again

Hexenmeister,

Hopefully this won't frustrate you further, but you don't have the "real' newsstand version of the first printing with the bar code. Ironically I had a 5 pack sitting on my printer because I've been meaning to scan it for the past month.

V2_075ns_Superman.png

DG

Edited by dgarthwaite

Hexenmeister,

Hopefully this won't frustrate you further, but you don't have the "real' newsstand version of the first printing with the bar code. Ironically I had a 5 pack sitting on my printer because I've been meaning to scan it for the past month.

V2_075ns_Superman.png

DG

No frustration. I have a few newsstand versions graded. Plus I have a short box full of NM newsstand books I still have to go through to see what is 9.8 material. I'll worry about them later.  I also have my original set from when I was 10 tucked away, almost all newsstand.