• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the hardest Creepy issues.
3 3

72 posts in this topic

I just started collecting Creepy mags,and would like know what are the hardest issues to find in high grade.So I can find em and get em out of the way first.I already have #1 and #32(which is scarce).Thanks for any kind of help from the masters of mags,I'm just too noobish in this category.

#19 and #29 are fairly tough in any grade, the rest should be pretty much available if you are not real particular about the grades.

The #2, #6, #8, and #16 are fairly tough in high grade, especially the #2 since it has thick ink and seems to crack easily, #9 can be tough since it was low distribution, which was due to a bad blade at the printer.

I can't tell you much about the books higher than #32 since I don't collect those, someone else might be able to help with those. As a general rule, the darker the cover, the harder it is to find in high grade.

#19 and #29 are fairly tough in any grade, the rest should be pretty much available if you are not real particular about the grades.

The #2, #6, #8, and #16 are fairly tough in high grade, especially the #2 since it has thick ink and seems to crack easily, #9 can be tough since it was low distribution, which was due to a bad blade at the printer.

I can't tell you much about the books higher than #32 since I don't collect those, someone else might be able to help with those. As a general rule, the darker the cover, the harder it is to find in high grade.

I agree--but out of all these issues--29 is impossible--issue #2 is tough as well--but a nice copy of #29 is just not seen that often--I am still looking!

29 is the scarcest, 32 comes up more often, IMO because of the overstreet scarce label, people that don't know the books pull it (and the cool Frazetta cover). Issues 40-70 or so are less common.

I have a bunch of high grade back issues if you want to pm your want list, I may be able to find some in nice shape.

I have been collecting Creepy for twenty five years and here is a quick breakdown on some of the issues mentioned above:

#2 Hard to find in high grade due to black cover, top graded is only a 9.4. But not overly hard to find.

#9 Not a very hard book to find at all. There are already 34 graded and eleven copies have been graded at 9.4.

#13 Not mentioned but a very scarce issue. Only three graded in the census. Rarely ever comes to market.

#19 Same as number thirteen, extremely hard and rarely comes to market. Three graded at this time.

#29 Tough to find. Definitely not the scarcest. There have been eight graded, but this book does not come to market very often.

#32 Overstreet hypes this book as extremely limited. However, there are 21 copies graded and a few very high grade. This book always commands high prices.

#38 Pretty tough, only seven copies graded.

#41 Semi tough to find. Commands high prices, but there are 2 9.8's, 4 9.6's and 3 9.4's out there.

#146 Very tough to find period. Harris edition and rarely comes to market. 1 9.4, 1 9.0 and 2 8.5. Seven copies total have been graded.

I hope this helps out a little bit. Good luck collecting. It seems that there is a bit of momentum in the market these days for Warren Magazines, especially Vampirella and Creepy.

I have been collecting Creepy for twenty five years and here is a quick breakdown on some of the issues mentioned above:

#2 Hard to find in high grade due to black cover, top graded is only a 9.4. But not overly hard to find.

#9 Not a very hard book to find at all. There are already 34 graded and eleven copies have been graded at 9.4.

#13 Not mentioned but a very scarce issue. Only three graded in the census. Rarely ever comes to market.

#19 Same as number thirteen, extremely hard and rarely comes to market. Three graded at this time.

#29 Tough to find. Definitely not the scarcest. There have been eight graded, but this book does not come to market very often.

#32 Overstreet hypes this book as extremely limited. However, there are 21 copies graded and a few very high grade. This book always commands high prices.

#41 Semi tough to find. Commands high prices, but there are 2 9.8's, 4 9.6's and 3 9.4's out there.

#146 Very tough to find period. Harris edition and rarely comes to market. 1 9.4, 1 9.0 and 2 8.5. Seven copies total have been graded.

I hope this helps out a little bit. Good luck collecting. It seems that there is a bit of momentum in the market these days for Warren Magazines, especially Vampirella and Creepy.

Interesting, I have never had trouble with #13. There are currently 10 on Ebay compared to two 29's but only 3 on the census which is really low. Issue 28 has fewer graded than 29 (5 28's and 8 29's) and only 3 #30's. The Overstreet label on 32 has caused more books to surface on the census. The census isn't always the best gauge for scarcity as books usually don get slabbed until the value increase justifies the slabbing cost and the risk of a lower than expected grade. The Frazetta covers are going to have more graded copies as the price increase on these books justifies the slabbing cost. I agree that the 146 Harris issue is super tough. I think it is harder to find than the Vampi 113.

I love discussing these books, I also think the momentum is picking up. It's nice to see some activity in the magazine forums.

MlDynes...

I totally agree with your points on the issues discussed. The census sometimes gives a false impression of what is hard to find and what is not truly scarce.

Also, I wanted to point out that I was giving a quick summary and not covering all the issues in the run. I love the fact as well that Warrens seem to be making a comeback and are becoming more collectable. Out of the big three, which title do you like best? Creepy, Vampirella or Eerie?

Dave Kennedy

I have been concentrating mostly on Creepy and Vampirella. However, there are some great Eerie issues as well.

I did a commission for a board member of the Creepy #32,not ever even thinking of collecting mags of any kind.After doing the commission I just fell in love with the cover,then I found a 9.2 Creepy #32 at a show.Picked it up right away! Of course I then needed #1,and found a nice copy of that.

Here's the commission I did.

353.jpg

Then found this. :cloud9:

lf2.jpg

I did a commission for a board member of the Creepy #32,not ever even thinking of collecting mags of any kind.After doing the commission I just fell in love with the cover,then I found a 9.2 Creepy #32 at a show.Picked it up right away! Of course I then needed #1,and found a nice copy of that.

353.jpg

lf2.jpg

Beautiful! :applause:

Interesting, I have never had trouble with #13. There are currently 10 on Ebay compared to two 29's but only 3 on the census which is really low. Issue 28 has fewer graded than 29 (5 28's and 8 29's) and only 3 #30's. The Overstreet label on 32 has caused more books to surface on the census. The census isn't always the best gauge for scarcity as books usually don get slabbed until the value increase justifies the slabbing cost and the risk of a lower than expected grade. The Frazetta covers are going to have more graded copies as the price increase on these books justifies the slabbing cost. I agree that the 146 Harris issue is super tough. I think it is harder to find than the Vampi 113.

I love discussing these books, I also think the momentum is picking up. It's nice to see some activity in the magazine forums.

I agree-I hardly post on the boards except for this forum! It's great to see more people jumping into collecting mags!

353.jpg

lf2.jpg

(worship)

MlDynes...

I totally agree with your points on the issues discussed. The census sometimes gives a false impression of what is hard to find and what is not truly scarce.

Also, I wanted to point out that I was giving a quick summary and not covering all the issues in the run. I love the fact as well that Warrens seem to be making a comeback and are becoming more collectable. Out of the big three, which title do you like best? Creepy, Vampirella or Eerie?

Dave Kennedy

I have been concentrating mostly on Creepy and Vampirella. However, there are some great Eerie issues as well.

Over the life of the runs, I prefer the Creepy issues. The others have some great stories but I was never a huge fan of the Sci-fi stuff (with a few exceptions) in the Eeries. I'm trying to go through and re-read all of the Creepy's and Eeries - good times :headbang:

I think this tread could use some more covers...

SCN_0034.jpg

SCN_0036.jpg

SCN_0038-1.jpg

SCN_0032.jpg

SCN_0040.jpg

SCN_0026.jpg

SCN_0030.jpg

SCN_0028.jpg