• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

www.gpanalysis.com also distinguishes between regular and price variant and sometimes even newstand. If you're going to sell books, GPA is a valuable tool. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks Jimbo.

Not sure why but I wasn't seeing notifications from either of the replies till now lol.

19 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

www.gpanalysis.com also distinguishes between regular and price variant and sometimes even newstand. If you're going to sell books, GPA is a valuable tool. GOD BLESS...

Yes, GP.A too. GoCollect includes the scans of their sales history. GPA includes the CGC label number. Both cost to use but GPA will let you see their price guide for no cost however, there are usually not enough sales for them to set a guide for variants other than the higher quantity hot potatoes like “Stah Wahs” 1-2-3-4. When one goes up on Heritage for auction, they provide a GPA link that allows you to see it for the issue on auction for no charge. That’s a handy way to try out gpa. They may gave a free trial period too can’t remember. HA also provides a GoCollect link too. I only subscribe to gocollect because of the scans, mdeler, and I can save scans of my stuff and track better. Plus, I’m a tightwad so I had to pick one. Lol.

2 hours ago, Cap_Nut said:

Plus, I’m a tightwad so I had to pick one. Lol.

Me, too ... GPA was all I knew of at the time. I got a lot of my info from Bill (NP_Gresham) ... he's an encyclopedia about them and others ... he gave me some price ranges for low, mid, and high grade copies. Donut is also VERY knowledgeable, but like Bill, neither has a lot of spare time. GOD BLESS...

8 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Another Scooby Doo 1 35 cent variant came up for auction but was already taken down...

Yep. I think the seller’s going to send it in for grading. What a rare bird.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:18 PM, fastballspecial said:

Any story here? this book is a nightmare to find.

I got lucky. It was on Comiclink but was hidden among the odds and ends as far as I could tell. I was willing to pay much more. I was astonished, actually.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, PeterPark said:

Another Scooby Doo 1 35 cent variant came up for auction but was already taken down...

Funny story. I was at a show a few years ago and the discussion came up about 35 cent variants with 
a dealer.  Dealer told me he sold one that year I think it was nice horror book at auction for around $50.00.
I remember thinking that was well under the value for that book.(Cant rem which one.)

He preceded to tell me that as he was packing up the book to ship. Another buyer offered him $100 more on the book. 
So he cancelled the auction and sold it to another buyers. I walked away from the dealer not buying anything. 

On 7/20/2021 at 11:05 PM, fastballspecial said:

Funny story. I was at a show a few years ago and the discussion came up about 35 cent variants with 
a dealer.  Dealer told me he sold one that year I think it was nice horror book at auction for around $50.00.
I remember thinking that was well under the value for that book.(Cant rem which one.)

He preceded to tell me that as he was packing up the book to ship. Another buyer offered him $100 more on the book. 
So he cancelled the auction and sold it to another buyers. I walked away from the dealer not buying anything. 

Sadly that is very common with variants

Found several on eBay where the plug is suddenly pulled and win cancelled. I was warned in a PM to not post anything from eBay here because the sharks will torpedo the sale

On 7/21/2021 at 10:39 AM, NP_Gresham said:

Sadly that is very common with variants

Found several on eBay where the plug is suddenly pulled and win cancelled. I was warned in a PM to not post anything from eBay here because the sharks will torpedo the sale

So many times I have seen really tough variants appear only to shortly disappear never to be heard from again...

It can be tough out there...

Only 5 35 cent variants to go! :wishluck:

Did anybody stumble across this website: Marvel Price Variants ?

I don't know whose site it is as there is no further information other than some incomplete 30 cent price variant summary and list but I was curious if the owner was considering expanding it? There aren't many good places to educate the masses about the intricacies of price variants without STLcomics... I figure if someone went to the trouble to get the domain name, they may as well go all out...and at least add the 35 cent variants?

In 1981 or 1982 I was digging through long boxes in my LCS and pulled a 25 cent FF 171. Right behind it was a 30 center. I was amazed and bought both books and really thought that I found something special. Unfortunately, it never occurred to me that there  might be more.  If so, I have no doubt I would have all of them, living in San Jose. So close - Ugh!