• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, PeterPark said:

It exists with a 30 cent cover and that is the variant. The 25 cent version is the regularly distributed one, not a test market price variant.

Got it - I figured the larger price box meant something but apparently not :)

On 6/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Got it - I figured the larger price box meant something but apparently not :)

Pretty sure they tried that box for 1 month only and not even the whole month and all the ones that have that box and the 30 cent cover are variants...then they tried that circle price box like ASM 159 but some issues exists like that that are not variants, like Marvel Super Heroes 59, if I am remembering correctly, oh, and Skull 7. Both of those are often pushed as 30 cent variants when all distributed copies of those issues have 30 cent covers.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:18 PM, Professor K said:

I still can't believe I bought this. Just came yesterday. Now if it will only do what TMNT 1 did in 2019/2020 maybe this buyers remorse will subside a bit.

1944.jpg

1945.jpg

1949.jpg

Lol that's a piece  :xof art!! awesome awesome awesome 

Couple of sales recently for cheap of #2#3&#4 like midgrade and under $1000, so I feel you if real sales.

Still number 1 is king so no worries!

But those lower sales makes you think if only I had made those recent purchases.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I bet that set you back, but should be worth it!

I think I have the Lowest graded 35 cent #4 and it steams me when sellers settle for less, but idk, I guess sales do seem few and far between?

On 7/2/2022 at 6:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I bet that set you back, but should be worth it!

I think I have the Lowest graded 35 cent #4 and it steams me when sellers settle for less, but idk, I guess sales do seem few and far between?

Thanks. I think I paid a fair market price for it a few weeks back on Heritage. I told myself I bid once and was a little surprised when no one overbid me. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol that's a piece  :xof art!! awesome awesome awesome 

Couple of sales recently for cheap of #2#3&#4 like midgrade and under $1000, so I feel you if real sales.

Still number 1 is king so no worries!

But those lower sales makes you think if only I had made those recent purchases.

That's crazy cheap for those non-1 star wars issues. 35 cent variant pricing has stagnated quite a bit, IMHO. 

On 7/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, PeterPark said:

That's crazy cheap for those non-1 star wars issues. 35 cent variant pricing has stagnated quite a bit, IMHO. 

Indeed. Every once in a while I check value, I don't usually ever spend over $500 on an item but maybe 14 times, but I own a 35 cent #4.

I don't even often have the $500 to spend due to impulse purchases, but whomever that seller was who let them go mid grade for around $500 I would have gone after #2 or #3, that's a no brainer. It was on eBay so you can see the sales. 

On 7/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Indeed. Every once in a while I check value, I don't usually ever spend over $500 on an item but maybe 14 times, but I own a 35 cent #4.

I don't even often have the $500 to spend due to impulse purchases, but whomever that seller was who let them go mid grade for around $500 I would have gone after #2 or #3, that's a no brainer. It was on eBay so you can see the sales. 

Hey ADAMANTIUM, yeah I sold all my 1968 Marvel #1's and/or 1st issues to pay for the 35 cent 8.5. Not my Silver Surfer though, kept that. But Iron Man, Cap America, Hulk, Dr Strange, Submariner and Cap Marvel all had to go. I figured the 35 cent #1 had more potentential in going up than those plentiful books. 

My mind can't help but to always compare the SW 35 cent #1 to the first print TMNT #1. I've said this before here but I'll say it again with more detail: Both books are very short printed. Supposedly 3,250 Turtle 1's and estimated 1,500 SW 1 35c's.  But considering that there are about 1,043 Blue and Yellow Turtle 1's out there (1,103 total graded) and 266 Blue and Yellow SW 1 35c's (285 total graded) it's apparent a much lesser percentage of SW's survived. Just speculating but if 1,100 surving Turtles have been graded that means probably at least 1,500 still exist. SW 1 35 cent with 285 total graded I would think that probably 500 at most still exist with the majority of ungraded copies being low grade. And the percentage of SW 1 graded over 8.0 is much lower (about 9%) than that of TMNT 1 (about 42%). Just my take on it that's all.

So in 2019 one auction was the catalyst of TMNT 1 exploding in price. This never happened with the four Star Wars 35 cent variants. I don't know why. Personally I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I do like the Turtles even though I was 8 when Star Wars came out. The 2012 TMNT cartoon series was actually very good. But it is fact that Star Wars is a bigger franchise than The Turtles. The only reason I can think of as to why the value of TMNT 1 is so high compared to the SW 1 35C is because Turtles started off as a comic book while the Star Wars series is just another Marvel series based on a movie. Maybe also because it is a variant.  I'd like to know others thoughts on this.

Boy that was a long winded post. btw I think SW 4 is the best cover of the entire run. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 7/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, Professor K said:

Hey ADAMANTIUM, yeah I sold all my 1968 Marvel #1's and/or 1st issues to pay for the 35 cent 8.5. Not my Silver Surfer though, kept that. But Iron Man, Cap America, Hulk, Dr Strange, Submariner and Cap Marvel all had to go. I figured the 35 cent #1 had more potentential in going up than those plentiful books. 

My mind can't help but to always compare the SW 35 cent #1 to the first print TMNT #1. I've said this before here but I'll say it again with more detail: Both books are very short printed. Supposedly 3,250 Turtle 1's and estimated 1,500 SW 1 35c's.  But considering that there are about 1,043 Blue and Yellow Turtle 1's out there (1,103 total graded) and 266 Blue and Yellow SW 1 35c's (285 total graded) it's apparent a much lesser percentage of SW's survived. Just speculating but if 1,100 surving Turtles have been graded that means probably at least 1,500 still exist. SW 1 35 cent with 285 total graded I would think that probably 500 at most still exist with the majority of ungraded copies being low grade. And the percentage of SW 1 graded over 8.0 is much lower (about 9%) than that of TMNT 1 (about 42%). Just my take on it that's all.

So in 2019 one auction was the catalyst of TMNT 1 exploding in price. This never happened with the four Star Wars 35 cent variants. I don't know why. Personally I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I do like the Turtles even though I was 8 when Star Wars came out. The 2012 TMNT cartoon was actually very good. But it is fact that Star Wars is a bigger franchise than The Turtles. The only reason I can think of as to why the value of TMNT 1 is so high compared to the SW 1 35C is because Turtles started off as a comic book while the Star Wars series is just another Marvel series based on a movie. Maybe also because it is a variant.  I'd like to know others thoughts on this.

Boy that was a long winded post. btw I think SW 4 is the best cover of the entire run. 

Lol ya I don't get into print runs too much, but I fully understand about the TMNT comparison, as in limited somehow and TMNT was spelled out how many.

I'm sure a lot of people would say consolidating makes sense, but when it is at that price range of books, it can be nerv racking to say the least.

I think you said you bought it at an auction house? If that sounds right, then comparatively a ebay 8.5 of the 35 cent #1 went for I think $11,500. If that helps. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Clarity

On 7/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, John Neville said:

My first 35 cent price variant found and no I didn’t pay $3.99 it was 20% off.  Glad it’s a run I collect, I have both 30 cent Price Variants.  I am currently getting this copy pressed and cleaned them off to grading.  4FE0FEEE-1B99-467C-BC04-1195669285FF.thumb.jpeg.d5035c5ad2754e1a07fdce0a04b0e7c3.jpeg

:whatthe:

On 7/17/2022 at 11:01 PM, John Neville said:

Found my second 35 cent variant within two weeks of finding my first. I paid $5 for this book too!

D87A8A2F-CF46-4BB7-A728-BE7122EC6E66.jpeg

You are lucky to be in the right city. Being far from any distribution area, I have many 35 cent variants but found none in the wild...

On 7/18/2022 at 10:17 AM, PeterPark said:

You are lucky to be in the right city. Being far from any distribution area, I have many 35 cent variants but found none in the wild...

City does not matter anymore

Books have spread far and wide by now. I have found variants in the wild in Oregon, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and elsewhere.None of those are anywhere near the suspected distribution areas.