• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2022 at 4:15 PM, Mgutshall said:

Not bad for $4K

I don't know what your plans for the books are, but if it was me, I'd sell the 9.0. I think I saw a copy on ebay with an asking price of $25k. You might do better going to a big auction house. I know comic connect has sold a large number of price variants. HA usually does better with older stuff but I don't know them as a great place for price variants.

You make your money back and keep the blue chip 9.4 (the 9.0 is a blue chip also, IMHO). All the other books, including the GSX 1 are gravy.

Or, y'know, you could sell both and really party!

On 12/27/2022 at 8:22 PM, PeterPark said:

I don't know what your plans for the books are, but if it was me, I'd sell the 9.0. I think I saw a copy on ebay with an asking price of $25k. You might do better going to a big auction house. I know comic connect has sold a large number of price variants. HA usually does better with older stuff but I don't know them as a great place for price variants.

You make your money back and keep the blue chip 9.4 (the 9.0 is a blue chip also, IMHO). All the other books, including the GSX 1 are gravy.

Or, y'know, you could sell both and really party!

Yeah I thought on doing it the other way around. Sell the 9.4 and keep the 9.0. 

HA sold a 9.4 for $56K recently 

On 12/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, Mgutshall said:

Yeah I thought on doing it the other way around. Sell the 9.4 and keep the 9.0. 

HA sold a 9.4 for $56K recently 

Lol I feel sheepish. You know I knew when I pmd, I said I couldn't afford it, but I'm super happy for you and hope it comes to realization for you! ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/10/2023 at 10:23 PM, PeterPark said:

The Big 9 are:

Flintstones 1, Kid Colt 218, 219, 220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Scooby Doo 1, and Sgt Fury 141, 142

Beyond that, Iron Fist 14 is very hard to find considering it is notable the first appearance of Sabretooth and commands very high prices when it does turn up.

Marvel Triple Action 36 is probably the next hardest to find. MTA 37 and the other reprint titles, Marvel Tales, Marvel's Greatest, Marvel Super-Heroes and Marvel Super Action 2.

Marvel Super Action 3 is quite common, and is probably a warehouse find, kind of like Howard the Duck 3 (for 30 cent variants)

Other tough issues, in no particular order are Conan 79, Power-Man 47, Logan's Run 6 and 7.

While not as difficult to find, the Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men and especially the Star Wars issues have endless demand. Star Wars 1 appears to be one of the most common 35 cent variants, despite its importance. That said, common for a 35 cent variant is still exceedingly rare.

Ghost Rider, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange and Tomb of Dracula can be difficult. 

I had trouble finding a Howard the Duck 15 and Marvel Super Heroes 66.

Thanks very much, super informative. I appreciate it.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:03 PM, WNY said:

Primarily an X-Men collector so have this one and the X-Men 107 (1st starjammers), this one was definitely difficult to find… 

5F6A31B8-0105-46FF-A794-FFADCAF0DA4C.jpeg

I have several with that 20c stamp...did you find this book in the wild? Or was it an online purchase?

I am trying to remember if we ever knew the origin of that stamp...

On 1/19/2023 at 12:40 AM, PeterPark said:

I have several with that 20c stamp...did you find this book in the wild? Or was it an online purchase?

I am trying to remember if we ever knew the origin of that stamp...

Unfortunately I bought online and the seller knew what they had. I’ve always wondered about the 20 cent stamp as well. Have not been able to figure it out though and just now appreciate the humor in it… :)

On 1/19/2023 at 6:14 AM, WNY said:

Unfortunately I bought online and the seller knew what they had. I’ve always wondered about the 20 cent stamp as well. Have not been able to figure it out though and just now appreciate the humor in it… :)

I've bought lots of Bronze Age books with that stamp - all of them were from eastern North Carolina, which tracks to the Wilmington test market for 35s. Not sure where/why the stamp was done but probably a second hand store there.