• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autographed Comic Question (CGC)

40 posts in this topic

O.K. I know that CGC has some super secret way of coming up with signature series grades...and a strict grading policy etc. etc. etc. but here is my question:

John Byrne is my favorite artist.

X-Men are the only comics I collect.

I got to see John in person over a decade ago, I got 3 of my books signed.....I tried to get all #111 - #143 autographed but there was a long line...but Mr Byrne was very polite and said "Here, let me..." and he took three and signed them. Issues #111, #124 and #143 got signed.

I have cared for these books, they are in GREAT, GREAT shape, and it is coming time to have them submitted and I am panicking because I don't want them to come back:

"Writing inside"

"Name Written on first page"

"Letters on first page"

"scribbles inside"

so on and so forth"

I suppose if the best I can get is the label saying "John Byrne written on first page" that sure beats one of the things I mentioned above (all of which I have seen).

So how can I get them Signature Series graded? What if I sent books directly TO John Byrne for signing? then to CGC?

This is sucking pretty hard...I want to get my prize books graded, but I don't want them screwed up either by getting them back with something goofy written on the front.

What to do..what to do?

xmen143-inside.jpg

books that you have that are already signed cannot be given Signature Series status. period. In order to get books Signature Series, they must be witnessed by an official CGC representative. So even sending your books to be signed by someone will not work.

Basically any book you have signed would get a Qualified label not a universal label, is my understanding.

books that you have that are already signed cannot be given Signature Series status. period. In order to get books Signature Series, they must be witnessed by an official CGC representative. So even sending your books to be signed by someone will not work.

Basically any book you have signed would get a Qualified label not a universal label, is my understanding.

Interior signatures normally don't get qualified labels! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interior signatures normally don't get qualified labels! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do they get Unversal with a notation on the label?

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif
flowerred.gif

Well, John Byrne will be at the Mid-Ohio Comicon this November, so all you'll need to do is confirm whether CGC will be present at that convention or whether Paradise Comics will be there with their Signature Series witnesses. For example, if Paradise will be there, then what you'll need to do is ship them your books and Paradise will get them signed and immediately submitted to CGC for you. Several months later, you'll get your nice shiny slab with the yellow Signature Series label denoting who signed the book and on what date. Hope this helps.

X-Men are the only comics I collect.

Ah, a fellow X-men collector. PM me if you are looking for anything in the near future to fill in your collection, I have a slew of X-men that will be up for sale.

Tom

Well, John Byrne will be at the Mid-Ohio Comicon this November, so all you'll need to do is confirm whether CGC will be present at that convention or whether Paradise Comics will be there with their Signature Series witnesses. For example, if Paradise will be there, then what you'll need to do is ship them your books and Paradise will get them signed and immediately submitted to CGC for you. Several months later, you'll get your nice shiny slab with the yellow Signature Series label denoting who signed the book and on what date. Hope this helps.

Dude, I love you!!! See this is what I needed to know. I can just a couple N/M books and send them off to Paradise and have them signed and submitted. Dude...you rock! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Ah, a fellow X-men collector. PM me if you are looking for anything in the near future to fill in your collection, I have a slew of X-men that will be up for sale.

Tom

I actually have a complete run from #1 thru #350 that are going through the CGC submission process right now in 25 book lots.

BUT

I am in need of about 20 - 25 books to complete another limited run...I'll PM you!!!

How much do they charge for this service?

Cost for Signature Series is $25 + s/h per book.

Multiple signatures at the same show - add $5 per signature (unless the guests are signing right next to one another... for example Michael Turner and Talent Caldwell often sit right next to one another). The extra charge is to cover the cost of sending someone to line up for the additional signatures.

It has not been decided whether or not Paradise will be at Mid-Ohio. I don't think CGC has plans to be at that show (as far as I know).

Cost for Signature Series is $25 + s/h per book.

Multiple signatures at the same show - add $5 per signature (unless the guests are signing right next to one another... for example Michael Turner and Talent Caldwell often sit right next to one another). The extra charge is to cover the cost of sending someone to line up for the additional signatures.

It has not been decided whether or not Paradise will be at Mid-Ohio. I don't think CGC has plans to be at that show (as far as I know).

Shouldn't you be working on the program ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Get Back to work you Lazy No Good-Nick sumo.gif

Dude, I love you!!! See this is what I needed to know. I can just a couple N/M books and send them off to Paradise and have them signed and submitted. Dude...you rock! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Tom

I actually have a complete run from #1 thru #350 that are going through the CGC submission process right now in 25 book lots.

BUT

I am in need of about 20 - 25 books to complete another limited run...I'll PM you!!!

I guess I'm not needed here. grin.gif

Only one difference, it's actually $27 per book (their new price), unless you do, uh, favours, for Pete. Then he lowers the price.

And if the book is pre 1975, the cost is $34 plus shipping.

I guess I should add my two cents. This is the flyer I have been handing out a conventions.

Please feel free to email me with any questions.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

CGC SIGNATURE SERIES WITH

PARADISE COMICS

This adds a very exciting new dimension to the comics industry.

Getting comics signed at a convention has always been very popular. Now people can be assured of the authentication of an artist's or writer's signature on a comic book because the CGC tamper-evident holder and the CGC Signature Series label helps eliminate the threat of forgery.

Requirements:

• Comics must be in silver age bags with no tape.

Current/modern bags are too tight, must be in a bag that allows for easy removal for signing.

• Comics must have a clearly printed sticker on the comic bag with:

- your name,

- the comic name and issue number

- the name of the professional(s) you want to sign the comic

For multiple signatures, please rank the professionals in order of priority, with number 1 being the primary signature. If the primary signature cannot be obtained, you will need to identify whether you want the secondary one on its own or if you would prefer no signatures at all.

Note that the price for Signature Series is for one signature per comic submitted. For multiple signatures, please add $5 for each additional signature to cover additional time required to obtain additional signatures.

------------

For example:

Conan #1 by Kurt Busiek, Cary Nord and Dave Stewart might all be at the convention. You might rank them in order of priority as

1: Cary Nord

2: Kurt Busiek

3: Dave Stewart (n/r)

In this example, if Nord is available we will get him to sign first. However, if Busiek is not available then the book will be submitted with Nord's signature. Unless you tell us it is ok to do so, we will not obtain Busiek's signature without getting Cary Nord to sign it first.

--------------

CGC requires that Paradise Comics MUST submit all signed books at the end of a show once there is a signature on the comic.

While we will do our best, signatures are not guaranteed, and conditions may prevent us from obtaining specific signatures.

Below are your options if your requested signature could not be acquired at the end of the convention:

1) Pick your book up at the end of the show.

2) Leave it with Paradise Comics to get it done at another show.

3) Submit it for regular grading.

Note that comics paid with a credit card will not be billed until they are submitted to CGC.

Grading prices for each tier is as follows:

Modern - $27.00

Economy - $37.00

Standard - $57.00

Express - $87.00

Due to variations in convention signing schedules, Paradise Comics cannot guarantee that Signature Series books will be obtained in time to be submitted for same day On-Site grading by CGC (if offered at this convention). Therefore all books for the CGC Signature Series will be submitted to CGC for grading at their facilities in Sarasota, Florida.

Paradise Comics will be traveling to most major conventions this year. We will gladly accept comics for those shows. They can be submitted at an earlier show, couriered to our storefront or to the hotel we are staying. Please check our website calendar for future shows www.paradisecomics.com.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

3278 Yonge St.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

M4N 2L6

(416) 487-9807

Will you be attending Ohio or not? makepoint.gif

I sent Paradise an e-mail asking a couple of questions including what conventions they will be at within the next couple months and they didn't mention anything about Ohio, FWIW.

"I will be at the Toronto Comicon June 18-20 www.torontocomicon.com

San Diego

Wizard World Chicago

and Baltimore."