• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autographed Comic Question (CGC)

40 posts in this topic

I sent Paradise an e-mail asking a couple of questions including what conventions they will be at within the next couple months and they didn't mention anything about Ohio, FWIW.

Ohio won't be until the end of November, so Peter may not have decided yet. He probably didn't mention Wizard World Texas either which is also in November, given that there's quite a number of exhausting conventions between now and then. Start a petition for him to attend Ohio. thumbsup2.gif

Ohio won't be until the end of November, so Peter may not have decided yet. He probably didn't mention Wizard World Texas either which is also in November, given that there's quite a number of exhausting conventions between now and then. Start a petition for him to attend Ohio. thumbsup2.gif

Ahh. Thought Ohio was during the summer.

One point to note. How your comics are bagged when you submit them for Signature Series really can affect the final grade of the book. Silver bags and boards give the comic a bit more support plus makes it easier to move the comic in and out of the bag. Modern bags and boards make it very difficult to pull out and insert the comic, thereby increasing the possibility of damage. Re-sealable bags are also very difficult to open, given the strength of the adhesive. Remember, the comics are only removed from their bags the very last possible moment before the books are signed, usually just before reaching the signee. And often, there are a stack of books, all for the same person. It's not an accident that Signature Series books submitted through Paradise come back to their owners in high grades. Several of us who submit regularly through Paradise can attest to that.

I plan on reacquiring #111 - 143 specifically for getting them autographed and CGC'd.

I have #111 - 113 in grading at CGC right now and I have #124 and #143 already sighned so those will have to be replaced as well.

Anyone got a raw VF/NM run they want to sell? I better start cracking on the book I need for replacement.

One point to note. How your comics are bagged when you submit them for Signature Series really can affect the final grade of the book. Silver bags and boards give the comic a bit more support plus makes it easier to move the comic in and out of the bag. Modern bags and boards make it very difficult to pull out and insert the comic, thereby increasing the possibility of damage. Re-sealable bags are also very difficult to open, given the strength of the adhesive. Remember, the comics are only removed from their bags the very last possible moment before the books are signed, usually just before reaching the signee. And often, there are a stack of books, all for the same person. It's not an accident that Signature Series books submitted through Paradise come back to their owners in high grades. Several of us who submit regularly through Paradise can attest to that.

Good points Tim. Also make sure to remove any tape before submitting the book to be signed. And if you can, put a sticker (or an address label) with your name, the title and issue number, and who you want it signed by, on to the front of the bag.

Just don't do what I do and start cracking slabs. Once you've cracked one, there's no going back!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'll no doubt end up just selling the #111 - #114 (made a typo in my first post and said #113) that come back slabbed to recover the cost of re-buying them for signing.

I think it would be seriously kick @ss to have a big fat chunk of signature series books right smack in the middle of my complete X-Men collection.

I remember seeing an CGC-SS X-Men #1 signed by Stan Lee for sale recently and I procrastinated too long and now it is gone. UGH. That was a forehead smacker for sure foreheadslap.gif

I remember seeing an CGC-SS X-Men #1 signed by Stan Lee for sale recently and I procrastinated too long and now it is gone. UGH. That was a forehead smacker for sure

You're right. I think it's cool too. Sometimes, I've even gotten the artist to do a quick sketch on the cover. Also, I'm pretty sure there are no Byrne Signature Series books floating around.

I remember seeing an CGC-SS X-Men #1 signed by Stan Lee for sale recently and I procrastinated too long and now it is gone. UGH. That was a forehead smacker for sure

You're right. I think it's cool too. Sometimes, I've even gotten the artist to do a quick sketch on the cover. Also, I'm pretty sure there are no Byrne Signature Series books floating around.

You would be correct. Zero Byrne books...so far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You would be correct. Zero Byrne books...so far...

Race you. devil.gif

Hmmm, so what is Ohio like in November anyway? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

warmer than Alaska thumbsup2.gif

Maybe you should come down.

On a side note, since this is John Byrne and he doesn't do that many shows, he may have a limit to the number of books he will sign. 893frustrated.gif

On a side note, since this is John Byrne and he doesn't do that many shows, he may have a limit to the number of books he will sign.

Probably, but the artists aren't signing for free. Paradise Comics makes a charitable donation on the artist's behalf to ACTOR or one of the artist's choice. Plus, to put the artist at ease, Peter explains that the books are from fans like ourselves who cannot come out in person to get the autographs. As a result, Paradise are obtaining the signatures for us.

As for Ohio, since they've moved the convention closer to the end of November, probably to get out of the way of Wizard World Texas, it's going to be cold!! Last year's lineup for Alan Davis was long, but nowhere close to the lines at Wizard. This is a much smaller convention. The layout's not much for open space. It's held in a hotel and they make use of several large ballrooms plus the hallway.

On a side note, since this is John Byrne and he doesn't do that many shows, he may have a limit to the number of books he will sign.

Probably, but the artists aren't signing for free. Paradise Comics makes a charitable donation on the artist's behalf to ACTOR or one of the artist's choice. Plus, to put the artist at ease, Peter explains that the books are from fans like ourselves who cannot come out in person to get the autographs. As a result, Paradise are obtaining the signatures for us.

As for Ohio, since they've moved the convention closer to the end of November, probably to get out of the way of Wizard World Texas, it's going to be cold!! Last year's lineup for Alan Davis was long, but nowhere close to the lines at Wizard. This is a much smaller convention. The layout's not much for open space. It's held in a hotel and they make use of several large ballrooms plus the hallway.

Just an FYI - Mid-Ohio Con is always the weekend after Thanksgiving. There was no "moving" of it for Wizard. Whenever Thanksgiving is, that's when Mid-Ohio Con is.

Just an FYI - Mid-Ohio Con is always the weekend after Thanksgiving. There was no "moving" of it for Wizard. Whenever Thanksgiving is, that's when Mid-Ohio Con is.

You're right. My apologies. Wizard moved Texas up to avoid Ohio. 893applaud-thumb.gif