• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman and Detective Show Us Yours!
14 14

2,400 posts in this topic

I found these scans and writeups of my Tec #39 from many years back. Reposting this for rsouxlja7 who is on the hunt for one. (If you find or have a copy for sale, shoot him a PM!)

--

Here's my copy of Detective #39. I love the cover, with Batman knocking the thug off the building, presumably to his death (last time you see a Tec cover like that for a looong time). Great color scheme on this one too.

97819.jpg

The Batman story in Tec #39 is fantastic -- it reads much more like a pre-Robin story than a post-Robin one, with a Chinatown-based "Oriental hatchet gang" that has a nasty habit of burying hatchets in peoples' skulls. Batman saves the day by crushing the gang under a massive statue, killing them all (did I mention that this story is a touch violent?). Robin's involvement in the story is pretty minimal.

97820.jpg

97821.jpg

97822.jpg

97823.jpg

Jerry Siegel Spy story... nice art on this one...

97825.jpg

I always like Fred Guardineer's art. (I believe he drew stories for both Action #1 and Detective #27... not bad!)

97828.jpg

Finally, here's the other neat thing about this issue: a full-page ad for Batman #1.

I love the text blurb "This is a small reproduction of the cover" on these early house ads. (Guess they didn't want kids to be looking for a Batman #1 digest!)

97824.jpg

Boy, do I love that crude early Batman artwork. I'll take it anytime over the slicker artwork that came later.

Yes, I think the 38,39,40 were the last great Detective covers from the early art period just as Action 7,10,13 is to Action. Here's a melding that was done many years ago:

fantasy%20pose%20tec%2039%20action%207%20finally_zpsn91uqapv.jpg

I found these scans and writeups of my Tec #39 from many years back. Reposting this for rsouxlja7 who is on the hunt for one. (If you find or have a copy for sale, shoot him a PM!)

--

Here's my copy of Detective #39. I love the cover, with Batman knocking the thug off the building, presumably to his death (last time you see a Tec cover like that for a looong time). Great color scheme on this one too.

97819.jpg

The Batman story in Tec #39 is fantastic -- it reads much more like a pre-Robin story than a post-Robin one, with a Chinatown-based "Oriental hatchet gang" that has a nasty habit of burying hatchets in peoples' skulls. Batman saves the day by crushing the gang under a massive statue, killing them all (did I mention that this story is a touch violent?). Robin's involvement in the story is pretty minimal.

97820.jpg

97821.jpg

97822.jpg

97823.jpg

Jerry Siegel Spy story... nice art on this one...

97825.jpg

I always like Fred Guardineer's art. (I believe he drew stories for both Action #1 and Detective #27... not bad!)

97828.jpg

Finally, here's the other neat thing about this issue: a full-page ad for Batman #1.

I love the text blurb "This is a small reproduction of the cover" on these early house ads. (Guess they didn't want kids to be looking for a Batman #1 digest!)

97824.jpg

Gorgeous!!! simply gorgeous! Makes me wanna grab some more early TEC's!! No wonder their so damn expensive

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

I love the broody, on the edge, comic-noir aspect of Batman. Add Robin to the mix and I can't get past the campness of the 1966 TV series in my mind. Robin really brings nothing to the party IMO. Just could never accept or buy into that character.

(thumbs u

I love the broody, on the edge, comic-noir aspect of Batman. Add Robin to the mix and I can't get past the campness of the 1966 TV series in my mind. Robin really brings nothing to the party IMO. Just could never accept or buy into that character.

Different Robin in 41.

(thumbs u

Different Robin in 41.

Great, then I'm really looking forward to reading my Batman 33 & 24 (not as early as '41 I know). I've never read an early issue involving Robin to be fair, so maybe my opinion will change. :)