• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the essence of cool?

134 posts in this topic

felt the need to post a g.a. "cool" book, and remembered this one. extremely cool imo.

subby29.jpg

Indeed, this is way cool. Unheard of in high grade and perhaps one of the rarest Timley's [if not the rarest?] in 7.0 grade and higher.

rare, hell, i think it must be the ONLY timley.

felt the need to post a g.a. "cool" book, and remembered this one. extremely cool imo.

subby29.jpg

Indeed, this is way cool. Unheard of in high grade and perhaps one of the rarest Timley's [if not the rarest?] in 7.0 grade and higher.

You are brutal on spelling or typographical errors lol

subby29.jpg

You are brutal on spelling or typographical errors lol

...and cross Atlantic "colloquialisms"!

subby29.jpg

....This book will never reach it's full coolness until you sell it to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

prize 1-3 are undeniably cool; gonna pay a bit more attention to that run in my next private-time session with gerber vol. 2

Some nice ones have come up at auction the last couple of months, they will be back. I saw theres a Mile High # 3.

...and how about Prize 5 (San Fran/Tom Reilly copy)?

Prize5SF.jpg

In my experience, Prize 1 (a very cool book) is the most common amongst the early issues - I've seen a half-dozen different copies for sale in the last year alone.

In comics, I think that creative innovation has very often followed shortly after business disruption. You see these brilliant, raw creative bursts within a couple years after the dawn of each comic era as the creators see that the rules have changed and start to figure out what they can do with that.

In the golden age, I think of Supes 1-10 (or so) as the definition of cool. They'd started to figure out what gives a cover punch, but it is still raw and unrefined. I always think of that initial run as the magic that defines the golden age.

Ajax/Farrell titles are usually hum-drum, post-code yawners, but I just found this at an estate auction for $7.50.

I don't think I've ever seen this book before (Midnight 4), but it just screamed cool when I saw it.

File0001-1.jpg

I love books that have a retro feel to them, so for me this counts as cool. Just picked it up.

What do you guys think?

WhirlwindComics1front.jpg