• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

:banana: Yes, I'm cross posting this in a few places, but I'm pretty pleased since as far as I know, this completes my DC Whitman collection! :banana:

whitmandccomicspresents22-sm.jpg

Is this the most recently discovered Whitman?

How does it rank in terms of rarity compared to the others?

Aka...how many puppies is it worth?

Not at all. I don't care about the price. Just the rarity in terms of abundance.

I know Whitmans do not have the rarity they deserve. For most they are just reprints.

:banana: Yes, I'm cross posting this in a few places, but I'm pretty pleased since as far as I know, this completes my DC Whitman collection! :banana:

Well arguably a number of collectors have known it existed for a long time. Until this copy came into my hands I've not been able to get a first person report confirmation that anyone had one or had seen it. That goes for some other variant hunters too I think I can attest. However I've been collecting DCWs for quite a few years so it is particularly hard to locate. I think some of the DCCP and Super Friends issues escape notice that they are Whitmans because they also have the DC logo on the cover.

Well arguably a number of collectors have known it existed for a long time. Until this copy came into my hands I've not been able to get a first person report confirmation that anyone had one or had seen it. That goes for some other variant hunters too I think I can attest. However I've been collecting DCWs for quite a few years so it is particularly hard to locate. I think some of the DCCP and Super Friends issues escape notice that they are Whitmans because they also have the DC logo on the cover.

So do you think it is as rare as say, Sgt Rock 329? Or is it just as you said, it may not be noticed as a Whitman but that there are likely more copies out there?

So currently, I would have to say the DCP22 is the rarest thus far. Doesn't mean it will stay that way. Unless this is the same copy the first round of scans came from, this would be the second copy to surface.

There are a couple of other books that are reported to exist, but have not surfaced that we know of.

Truth is, I removed the search because after years of looking, as I was convinced that it did not exist.

It is always nice when something like this does show up. I guess I will look again.

Action 506

B&B 143

JLA 177

JLA 178

Superboy 31 is a book that has only been seen by metarog in a dream he once had. :roflmao:

Of all those issues only JLA 178 has a very faint chance of existing... the others are either on dead months for Whitmans (JLA 177 and Action 506) or before the line expanded past Superman related comics (BB 143).

Superboy 31... the less said by me the better!

So do you think it is as rare as say, Sgt Rock 329? Or is it just as you said, it may not be noticed as a Whitman but that there are likely more copies out there?

Contrary to popular opinion, I'd say Sgt Rock 329 is not in the top ten of scarcest DC Whitmans. It might squeak in around #11 though... lol

Action 506

B&B 143

JLA 177

JLA 178

Superboy 31 is a book that has only been seen by metarog in a dream he once had. :roflmao:

Of all those issues only JLA 178 has a very faint chance of existing... the others are either on dead months for Whitmans (JLA 177 and Action 506) or before the line expanded past Superman related comics (BB 143).

That's pretty sound logic! :headbang:

Action 506

B&B 143

JLA 177

JLA 178

I should have linked the matrix, and others could see what Roger says is dead on.

I have looked at the matrix for clues of other possibilities, but I cannot visualize any pattern.

Another reason why Marvel Price Variants are so much better :baiting:

Contrary to popular opinion, I'd say Sgt Rock 329 is not in the top ten of scarcest DC Whitmans. It might squeak in around #11 though... lol

funny thing though- regardless of where you think it ranks on the scarcity scale, it is probably the most popular DCW in demand next to the oversize Ali book.

Action 506

B&B 143

JLA 177

JLA 178

I should have linked the matrix, and others could see what Roger says is dead on.

I have looked at the matrix for clues of other possibilities, but I cannot visualize any pattern.

+1

Those price variants are too overbought. Get in on the bottom floor with DC Whitmans now!

I've got two cool new additions to the DCW hoard!

This pack is unusual in that it includes Wonder Woman #260 which is somewhat commonly seen in a 3-pack with Wonder Woman #255, #257, #260 (#255 in middle). Not many DC Whitmans have been spotted in multiple combos! The awesome thing about this pack is that it's the first time I've ever seen a multi-pack that contains Superboy & LSH #257!

:cloud9:

whitman3-packbraveandbold156wonderwoman260B.jpg

whitman3-packaction501action496superboylsh257B.jpg

I have never seen this 2-pack before, and haven't ever seen either of these comics in any other pack combo! On top of that, these are two tough to find issues, and super tough in HG.

^^

whitman3-packaction501action496superboylsh257A.jpg

whitman3-packbraveandbold156wonderwoman260A.jpg

Those price variants are too overbought. Get in on the bottom floor with DC Whitmans now!

Prices for them are popping on eBay. I've been getting very strong results for auctions lately.

Prices for them are popping on eBay. I've been getting very strong results for auctions lately.

So I've seen. Your DCCP in NM caught my attention but ended just above my snipe... :frustrated:

I heard it three times today, at the local show, that the DC Whitmans were being asked for and getting hot.