• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

Terrestrial Breakfast Pastry,

Someone posted this for me in another thread. It has the books, but maybe not scarcity. It seems like I've seen one before though with guesstimates.

DC Whitman List

Drill down on that page and you find this, which is nearly exactly what I need. Thanks!

I really miss that site.

The DCP 22 was still listed as unverified when the site crashed.

Wonder if any of the other unverified books will ever show up?

Donut, that site doesn't say anything about scarcity, even at the link you drilled down to, does it? What has you wondering about relative scarcity anyway?

Shield,

I don't hold out much hope for any of the other unverified issues ever materializing. IIRC they were on the list because when the list was being created it pulled info from OPG and apparently OPG listed Whitman variants for those issues. Seems to me that the existence of those issues is extremely unlikely and perhaps was just OPG misinformation.

Back when the matrix was being assembled, it was noted which books seemed more rare basically based on the type of Whitman logo, and I think for the most part, this generalization is still true.

Wayne- The data we had came from what we considered reliable sources and not just OPG. One of the most compelling things I have is a list and correspondence from Doug Sulipa from September of 2005 where he sent me his most up to date version of issues he confirmed to exist. That list had the DCP22 on it and he was right. The list also has JLA 177-178 on it. As a matter of note, the only two we carried on the matrix that he could not confirm (at the time) were Action 506, and B&B 143.

There was also a scan of DCCP22 that you guys had received prior to the Youtube video issue appearing, so it had more weight than just appearing on a list.

So were all of the still-unconfirmed issues also listed in OPG as well as on Doug's list?

Perhaps Doug had mistakenly listed and "confirmed" those issues and has since reconsidered their existence? He does not have any of the "unconfirmed" issues listed on his site. He has most of the rarest DCWs listed and marked as "sold out" but not the few unconfirmed issues.

The two April 1980 issues that are unconfirmed, Action 506 and JLA 177, would be the only issues from that month, so that's a strong argument against their existence.

B&B 143 would be a black logo DCW from 1978. The black logo issues are many times more common, speaking in general, than any other form of DCWs. Any issue from the common DCW era that hasn't been spotted in a decade provides a strong rationale against accepting that the issue exists.

Neither of those arguments applies to May 1980 for JLA 178.... and granted that May 1980 issues are HTF, but that said I don't see any reason to keep believing JLA 178 is anything but a typo from an old list.

There was also a scan of DCCP22 that you guys had received prior to the Youtube video issue appearing, so it had more weight than just appearing on a list.

If my recollection is correct, the DCP22 scan didn't show up until much later after the work was done, and several of us spent a long time searching with no luck. Truth is, I thought it was a hoax for a long time. The thing is, we couldn't verify the source, and we were reluctant to confirm a book until such source could be accurately verified.

So were all of the still-unconfirmed issues also listed in OPG as well as on Doug's list?

Not sure, I was considering pulling out an old OPG and checking, but haven't since we started this dialog. I was actually late to the party, and the majority (if not all) of the list was developed prior to me deciding to make a run at the set. As it went, I was the "find one I/we needed, buy it, scan it, upload it" guy.

Perhaps Doug had mistakenly listed and "confirmed" those issues and has since reconsidered their existence? He does not have any of the "unconfirmed" issues listed on his site. He has most of the rarest DCWs listed and marked as "sold out" but not the few unconfirmed issues.

Perhaps. I haven't corresponded with him in probably over 10 years, and stopped following these once I thought I had a complete set.

The two April 1980 issues that are unconfirmed, Action 506 and JLA 177, would be the only issues from that month, so that's a strong argument against their existence.

Agreed.

B&B 143 would be a black logo DCW from 1978. The black logo issues are many times more common, speaking in general, than any other form of DCWs. Any issue from the common DCW era that hasn't been spotted in a decade provides a strong rationale against accepting that the issue exists.

Agreed.

Neither of those arguments applies to May 1980 for JLA 178.... and granted that May 1980 issues are HTF, but that said I don't see any reason to keep believing JLA 178 is anything but a typo from an old list.

Not sure except it would be the 7 books that month and aside from two months that had 11, odd numbers didn't seem to be the norm for ordering. So I would tend to agree, except for the email I have where Doug had confirmed it physically existed.

Perhaps. I haven't corresponded with him in probably over 10 years, and stopped following these once I thought I had a complete set.

I checked with Doug this week and asked about his reasoning for not listing the "unconfirmed" DC Whitmans. If it's true that he was the source of those issues being on the initial STL then I asked why he doesn't have them listed on his site at all. He provided his update on DC Whitmans from 2014:

*** (A) thru (E) have been Rumored to Exist, but probably DO NOT exist;

(A) ACTION COMICS #506(Exist?); NOT in Overstreet, probably does NOT exist;

(B) BRAVE AND THE BOLD #143(Exist?); NOT in Overstreet, probably does NOT exist;

© JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #177 ( I had REMOVED from Overstreet) = probably does NOT exist

(D) JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #178 (I had REMOVED from Overstreet) = probably does NOT exist

(E) SUPER FRIENDS #17 (EXIST?) NOT in Overstreet, probably does NOT exist;

There's never been a Whitman variant issue so rare that no one can turn up a copy or image in 10-15 years of hunting. This info from Doug reinforces my position on these issues -- I don't think they exist.

I would agree even the infamous DCCP 22 has shown up a couple of times now and boy let me tell ya I look for that book like no other just for bragging rights.

And of course for a guy in MD who will send me a PM right after I find it. lol

You laugh... but I found one last year, and was offered one via PM here on the boards shortly after.

I checked with Doug this week and asked about his reasoning for not listing the "unconfirmed" DC Whitmans. If it's true that he was the source of those issues being on the initial STL then I asked why he doesn't have them listed on his site at all. He provided his update on DC Whitmans from 2014:

(B) BRAVE AND THE BOLD #143(Exist?); NOT in Overstreet, probably does NOT exist;

© JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #177 ( I had REMOVED from Overstreet) = probably does NOT exist

(D) JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #178 (I had REMOVED from Overstreet) = probably does NOT exist

There's never been a Whitman variant issue so rare that no one can turn up a copy or image in 10-15 years of hunting. This info from Doug reinforces my position on these issues -- I don't think they exist.

Thanks for checking in with him. I don't think they exist either, and would prefer no new ones ever show up in the future.

On a related note- (sorry metarog, I couldn't resist :roflmao: )

superboy31.jpg

Thanks for checking in with him. I don't think they exist either, and would prefer no new ones ever show up in the future.

On a related note- (sorry metarog, I couldn't resist :roflmao: )

superboy31.jpg

I knew this would show up again... oh well. Happy New Year Harry!

That is the raggiest copy of that book that I've ever seen. Somewhere around Good or even lower?

Looks like the winner bidder was willing to go higher. :ohnoez:

On 7/11/2013 at 10:01 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Question:

Do you guys keep the books sealed in the Whitman bag or do you remove them?

First thing I do is break them out (actually cut) and put them in mylars. Most will eventually be slabbed. 

Edited by ComicbookScout

On 10/24/2017 at 4:45 PM, Ron C. said:

Thought I would post this here. I love Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez covers.

Batman 314 Whitman.jpg

Is there anybody who DOESN'T love Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez covers?

I was lucky enough to get a Jonah Hex sketch from him earlier this year; it appalls me how many people don't know his work.