• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - a REAL MANS sport?

Rugby of American Football?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Rugby of American Football?

26 posts in this topic

Rugby? Isnt that the game thats played with a house and a collection of dolls or some such!? 27_laughing.gif

(JK! grin.gif)

No it's the game that DOESN'T have to be stopped every 10 seconds so the players can be told what to do next. grin.gif

Thats called coaching dude!! thumbsup2.gif

No it's the game that DOESN'T have to be stopped every 10 seconds so the players can be told what to do next. grin.gif

That's called robotics mate!! smile.gif

Admit it. You're just upset that you can't keep "soccer" and "football" straight.

I played both in High school, and Football was a stroll in the park compared to Rugby.

I played both in HS and college.On anything less than the best professional level,Rugby is the game. That said,I firmly believe any non-kicker in the NFL would excell in rugby but have doubts that half of the All-Blacks could star in the NFL.I'd rate the best pro rugby players in the same class as the top NCAA football players,less than 5% of whom go on to the next level.The amount of punishment an NFL player endures in the course of a season is truly inhuman.

I played football and wrestled in high school. I didnt have the size or the skill to do either in college. So I figured I'd join the rugby club team in college. Big mistake. The level of stamina and ability to take punishment needed for rugby was a completely different level and I had a very short stint playing rugby. As much as I hate to admit it because I love Football, Rugby is the winner here.

P.S. ... GO RAIDERS

Rugby is more of a meathead game that requires brute force and stamina, but football is more demanding skill-wise and the punishment you take in serious football games (helmet to the sternum anyone?) is nowhere near as bad in rugby.

I think the equipment, or lack thereof, determines how dirty and hard the opposition will hit you.

I've played rugby games where we all go home with cuts, scrapes and bruises, but I've played in scary football games where quite a few players have been taken out on stretchers.

Question, Do they play Rugby in sub zero temperatures? If they do I would like to watch one of those before I can really make my final determination! Maybe if you know where I can get a game tape of one played in one like the Ice Bowl similar to that.That way I could see if they could play there game like a real mans game was played that day!

Davidking623

Rugby is more of a meathead game that requires brute force and stamina, but football is more demanding skill-wise and the punishment you take in serious football games (helmet to the sternum anyone?) is nowhere near as bad in rugby.

This statement obviously comes from someone who hasn't played much Rugby. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Question, Do they play Rugby in sub zero temperatures? If they do I would like to watch one of those before I can really make my final determination! Maybe if you know where I can get a game tape of one played in one like the Ice Bowl similar to that.That way I could see if they could play there game like a real mans game was played that day!

Davidking623

Rugby is mostly played in the spring and fall,at least on the east coast of North America.It is played when it is scheduled and they don't postpone games due to inclimate conditions.

If a game was to be played and conditions were similar to the ice bowl game,they would still play it.

I'm fairly sure Rugby games have been played in similar conditions,though I have no evidence to offer.

This statement obviously comes from someone who hasn't played much Rugby. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, it comes from a guy who's played both.

A great example of the stark skill differences in the games came when we played against another team with one of my friends on it. "Ron" could not play any sport up until then, had zero coirdination, zero balance on skates, threw like a girl, and basically was just one of those big strong guys with nada in terms of sports skill or cordination.

Imagine my surprise when the same guy goes zipping by and gives me a good clip on the way. Up until then, I never realized how "powerful" he was, because his lack of coordination and skill didn't make him a factor in any other sport. But in Rugby, give that madman the ball and he showed insane levels of strength, stamina and even speed, and was probably the best player on the field.

Then again, toss that guy into football, baseball, or hockey and he's a laughing stock. Simply put, Rugby requires almost no skill to play, assuming you've got the physical attributes, while hockey, baseball, football, etc. are far more dependant on innate coordination and skills.

27_laughing.gif

No, it comes from a guy who's played both.

A great example of the stark skill differences in the games came when we played against another team with one of my friends on it. "Ron" could not play any sport up until then, had zero coirdination, zero balance on skates, threw like a girl, and basically was just one of those big strong guys with nada in terms of sports skill or cordination.

Imagine my surprise when the same guy goes zipping by and gives me a good clip on the way. Up until then, I never realized how "powerful" he was, because his lack of coordination and skill didn't make him a factor in any other sport. But in Rugby, give that madman the ball and he showed insane levels of strength, stamina and even speed, and was probably the best player on the field.

Then again, toss that guy into football, baseball, or hockey and he's a laughing stock. Simply put, Rugby requires almost no skill to play, assuming you've got the physical attributes, while hockey, baseball, football, etc. are far more dependant on innate coordination and skills.

Geeze,Wonder how Barry Bonds would playing hockey?

The very lack of advance scouting your "team" had on its opponenent speaks volumes for the level of rugby you have played. I agree with the previous poster that it sounds like you have very little experiance in the game.Just as my playing wiffle-ball for many years(a truly under-rated sport)wouldn't qualify me to speak of the physical skills needed to play for the Yankees.

The very lack of advance scouting your "team" had on its opponenent speaks volumes for the level of rugby you have played. I agree with the previous poster that it sounds like you have very little experiance in the game.

I should have known never to bring up sports here at Geek Central.

If you played sports like I did, you would fully understand the skill set necessary for each and every one of them. Have you ever played softball with NHL'ers? Ever caught a fastball from a CFL QB?

I have, and these guys are big, strong and highly-coordinated, and could whip any weekend warrior at virtually any sport. And yeah, I'd bet that if Bonds grew up in Canada, he'd probably be a pretty good hockey and football player.

It doesn't mean that all Rugby players are uncoordinated dolts, but if you're saying that Rugby demands the ultra-high coordination and skill set that hockey, football, baseball, or tennis do, that tells me you've never played ANY of them at a high level.

And P.S. it was just a fun game with some of the Raven's team, of which Ronny was a member. I'd honestly never seen him play Rugby before, and it was surprising to say the least.

Never played a game of ice hockey,baseball or tennis in my life. Did play for a HS team that won NYC championships in both Football and Basketball. Played against several NBA players and one NFLer. Played football for a school that won three Division 3 footbal games in four years and for a Rugby club that won an East Coast Open Title.Also scrimmaged the Springboks in a friendly match in 1980 or 81.

But I don't have your expertise.We bow to your usual BS