• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - a REAL MANS sport?

Rugby of American Football?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Rugby of American Football?

26 posts in this topic

But I don't have your expertise.We bow to your usual BS

Ah yes, my usual BS. I'd LOVE to get your candy [!@#%^&^] on the rink and see what's what. 27_laughing.gif

On a serious note, you really feel that Rugby requires more skill and hand-eye coordination than basketball or football? Seriously?

Wow. After me stating I've never been played a game of ice hockey in my life,you find the cajones to challenge me to a hockey game.

The purpose of this pol was to get opinions on what we thought was the manliest sport,not the most skillful.

There are many activities that require more hand-eye co-ordination than rugby or football.And more skills than rugby. But in terms of physical strength,skill and testicular fortitude, can't think of many sprts tat require more. Again,it depends on the level of competion we are talking about,also. My yearly Turkey Bowl football game with my fraternity brothers has been played for over 25 years now,but neither the game nor the players are as intense as when we were 23.

The purpose of this pol was to get opinions on what we thought was the manliest sport,not the most skillful.

Agreed, but you must have missed the shift in the thread to "disagree with whatever JC says".. when the word skill came up. insane.gif

I'm not gonna argue with you JC, but the fact of the matter is that ANY sport requires skill and judgement, and to say that one requires more than another is wrong.

It's a bit like saying anyone can be a boxer because you only have to hit each other, or bowling is just rolling a ball???

Rugby requires a lot of skill and judgement, if it didnt, then all teams would be equal right?

Just a quick note as well, never, EVER put Rugby and Baseball in the same sentence again 893naughty-thumb.gif

By the way, I love AF, and watch the whole main season. No college games because you don't get that over here.

I think the earlier point on AF being robotic is kinda true. Yes, they learn all the plays and know a different language, but they still get reminded of that language every few seconds. And to have that reiterated through an earpiece every few seconds is a sham. Rewind back to the slightly less glam days of the early 80s then see some real football.

Rugby on the other hand, the players have to think for themselves for the whole time. It is non-stop so requires constant thinking and decision making.Precision running plays, passing and kicking, every player has to know this.

Don't they say that the William Perrys of this world can't actually run more than 20 yards without needing gas???

By the way, I'm not trying to put either sport down, I'm one of a dwindling number of people over here that still loves watching AF. But equally did I love watching England play in Aus cloud9.gif

On a serious note, you really feel that Rugby requires more skill and hand-eye coordination than basketball or football?

Not necessarily more, but as with most sports some players on the team are there for the muscle/power and others are there for skill.

Are you really saying that everyone in a Gridiron team is skillfull? You could apply the same example of your big, strong, un-cordinated friend and put him in the defensive line of a Gridiron team just as comfortably as in a Rugby scrum.

Not everyone in a Rugby side is there just to flatten the oppossition. If you watched the recent Rugby World Cup, you may have noticed a English guy by the name of Johnny Wilkinson, who displayed a fair amount of skill throught the tournament. The French and New Zealand sides were also packed with very skillful players.

It is the combination and blend of players with different strengths and weaknesses that makes a truly great team...in any sport. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif