• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pronuciation?

Namor, the Sub-  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Namor, the Sub-

30 posts in this topic

I know Marvel wanted to go with the former, but I always thought the latter just sounds much better.

This is like that Mag-Net-Ooh vs. Mag-Neat-Ooh thing, which doesn't really make sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Magnet, Magnetism, Magnetic... Mag-Neat-Ooh?

I know Marvel wanted to go with the former, but I always thought the latter just sounds much better.

This is like that Mag-Net-Ooh vs. Mag-Neat-Ooh thing, which doesn't really make sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting, except that "magneto" is actually a word in and of itself. It is pronounced "Mag-NEAT-oh."

Well, submariner is already a word that can be pronounced either submarEENer or subMARiner - I think MARiner sounds cooler.

The real word "magneto" IS pronounced magNEEto. Always heard it that way and magNETo just sounds strange.

Interesting, except that "magneto" is actually a word in and of itself. It is pronounced "Mag-NEAT-oh."

27_laughing.gif

Sure, but I was speaking in terms of laymen's English when I first read the character and not Physics 101.

That's the way I pronounced Magneto as a 6-year old, long before I'd ever watched an electrical lightshow. I think I also picked it up from that Spider-man cartoon with Dr Magneto (Mag-Net-Oh)

Even now, it still sounds better. grin.gif

..and just because this is a thread about words, I have to say, its "Pronunciation" thumbsup2.gif

Sure, but I was speaking in terms of laymen's English when I first read the character and not Physics 101.

Well yeah but does that mean if you mispronounced colOSSus as COLossus when a kid, would you continue to do so? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Haven't you read "What The?!" #2... or 3? #1? Which issue was that? Man, that was an entertaing book... to a twelve-year-old.

If you listen to the GRR of Avengers #4 you will hear Stan Lee say Sub-MarEEner. Of course that's the only time I've heard it pronounced like that.

When I hear Sub-MAR-i-ner, I think Namor.

When I hear Sub-Ma-REE-ner I think Dan Quisenberry.

Actually, neither of the two choices in this poll are correct. 893whatthe.gif

It's certainly not Ma-REE-ner in any case...

Most Marvel fans pronounce it like the Seattle baseball team. "Sub-MAIR-i-ner" with the "mar" syllable rhyming with fair...

But Bill Everett himself pronounced the name "Sub-MAHR-i-ner" with the "mar" rhyming with far. And in my mind, the creator of the character is the only authority on how the name is pronounced. thumbsup2.gif

That said, Everett isn't around to complain, and a few hundred thousand Marvel fans can't be wrong, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

As a side note, the hyphen in Namor McKenzie's name was specifically added to KEEP people from pronouncing it like submarine. The "sub" in the name makes reference to the sub-tropics, and Everett put the hyphen in to keep folks from reading it as submaREEner... foreheadslap.gif

Actually, neither of the two choices in this poll are correct. 893whatthe.gif

But Bill Everett himself pronounced the name "Sub-MAHR-i-ner" with the "mar" rhyming with far. And in my mind, the creator of the character is the only authority on how the name is pronounced. thumbsup2.gif

What the hell does Bill Everett know anyway? 893whatthe.gif Stan Lee prononuced it Sub-MarEEner and that's good enought for me. What's Bill gonna do -- get up out of the grave and slap him? stooges.gif

BTW, Websters has Submariner as "s&b-m&'rE-n&r" and Mariner as "'mar-&-n&r".

Well yeah but does that mean if you mispronounced colOSSus as COLossus when a kid, would you continue to do so? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, this is a comic book character, not a device that exists in the real world, and I read my funny books and ficticious characters how I feel!!! sumo.gif

And like I said, my very first exposure to the word was as a little nipper watching reruns of that 60's Spider-man cartoon with Dr. Mag-Net-Oh. So I blame Marvel for that one. thumbsup2.gif