• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanzines & Magazines about Comic Books
2 2

208 posts in this topic

Roy Thomas ends...(Are any of the 20 members of the academy ever on these boards??)

Alter-Ego007.jpg

Amazing, 51 years later I would dare say plenty of collectors are targeting Hulk, Action, and Superman books from the early 60's, but they were runner ups in the "worst" comic division voting back then. hm

Thanks for sharing the interior pages. That was an interesting read. :headbang:

Roy Thomas ends...(Are any of the 20 members of the academy ever on these boards??)

Alter-Ego007.jpg

Amazing, 51 years later I would dare say plenty of collectors are targeting Hulk, Action, and Superman books from the early 60's, but they were runner ups in the "worst" comic division voting back then. hm

Thanks for sharing the interior pages. That was an interesting read. :headbang:

I had the same thought about the "Worst" category. I guess realistically, the Hulk only lasting 6 issues showed the lack of enthusiasm, and The entire Superman and Batman lineups were pretty lame...

Next UP: Panorama One, again from Bill G. Wilson, published Summer of 1971. I saw the original artwork for this piece last year - the blue and green portion of the artwork is a collage, but Fantucchio's "Mysterious Character" is actually a totally separate piece that can be moved around and repositioned! Wilson did a fantastic printing job on this piece.

130584.jpg.a6128e1cfcc7af4a7c7fa2b502dc7534.jpg

The Collector #10 May 1968. Published/Edited by Bill G. Wilson. Beautiful wraparound cover (full cover not shown) by Fantucchio with Flash Gordon dueling Ming the Merciless. This was the first issue of The Collector that featured Fantucchio artwork and was certainly not the last. Fantucchio continued to contribute to every issue of The Collector until it's very last issue, The Collector #29 in 1974.

130586.jpg.f1184dded8ac4fcdc403bb8b884c3b54.jpg

One of my favorite Fantucchio covers from Fantastic Fanzine #13, Published by Gary Groth in 1971. A full color painted cover of Fantucchio's "Mysterious Character" about to do battle with a gigantic serpent rising out of the horizon. This cover also appeared as a cover on The Washington Post Potomac Magazine, and won a prize with the Art Directors Club of Washington DC.

130588.jpg.1f75902fce6d0b73868b00d02030415c.jpg