• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanzines & Magazines about Comic Books
2 2

208 posts in this topic

Here's the FIRST fanzine cover ever produced with Fantucchio art, Rocket's Blast Special #5 with cover of The Guardian, Winter 1964/65. Again, printed via "mimeographic photo-stencil."

130590.jpg.34a6e9b08f065f65389e00e7627f845b.jpg

Edited by fugtussey

How about a classic? You may think it's Alter Ego #1 from 1961, but you'd be wrong - it's actually the Biljo White reprint from 1963. Biljo took new ditto masters and re-did the entire book, redoing the contents page, hand-lettered some titles, and added color ditto to strips. Cover says "Spring 1961" in light blue color ditto and also clarifies the path of the arrow, which could barely be seen in the original AE#1!

130592.jpg.59ce7feba10d62fd9fa1821a7b2ef81b.jpg

Here's another classic, Star Studded Comics #2 from Dec 1963. Published by the Texas Trio (Story Editor: Larry Herndon, Art Editor: Buddy Saunders and Contributions Editor: Howard Keltner) with a cool cover by Buddy Saunders.

130593.jpg.46099bfe097f05dc889894f9e473699f.jpg

Here's another Buddy Saunders cover from Fighting Hero #9, this time using his alias of "Don Fowler" - Buddy was providing so many contributions, I guess he didn't want to seem like he was overextending himself. Edited by GB Love and published in 1964, the entire issue features "The Demon" strip by Saunders.

130594.jpg.71020704d7598660747d763a010ec5cd.jpg

A few of my faves, nothing rare or special about these, I just picked them up as part of my Bronze Age X-Men collection.

April 1979 Comic Reader 167

comicreader167.jpg

The following comment is on the inside front cover: "What are the X-Men doing in the old X-Men's costumes? Existing as a figment of John Byrne's imagination."

July - August 1980 Comics Feature 4

comicsfeature4.jpg

Great article titled "The Many Alternate Fates of the Phoenix" with a copy of the original last page for X-Men issue 137 in which, get this......Jean Grey lives!

Summer (no month given) 1980 The Comics Journal 57

comicsjournal57.jpg

John Byrne & Terry Austin cover with a John Byrne interview.

July 1981 The X-Men Chronicles

xmenchronicles.jpg

This fanzines features a checklist, interviews with X-Men creators, original cartoons and a cover by Dave Cockrum. The indica states First in a series of publications spotlighting popular comic series. Watch for issue number two

"The Fantastic Four Chronicles".

June 1982 Amazing Heroes 12

amazingheroes12.jpg

Paul Smith cover and interview.

September 1982 Marvel Guide to Collecting Comics 1

marvelguide1.jpg

Walter Simonson cover.

December 1982 Comic Reader 207

comicreader207.jpg

Dave Cockrum cover.

March 1984 Comics Feature 28

comicsfeature28.jpg

A nice Paul Smith cover (said to be the cover originaly planned for X-Men 169) with a Claremont interview on a special all glossy, color page format.

September 1st 1984 Amazing Heroes 54

amazingheroes54.jpg

Terry Austin cover. Part 1 of a two part article detailing the history of the X-Men from 1963-1974.

September 15th 1984

amazingheroes55.jpg

Bill Sienkiewicz cover. Part 2 of the most comprehensive article detailing the history of the X-Men from 1975-1984.

Hi everybody :hi:

Doed anybody collect Comics Interview magazines? I know that there are 250 issues, but I do not know if they will be interesting to read today. Just have made a little search in Internet and find some scaned issues, but really can not make a conclusion from them. In fact the material in them look a little out of date.

Sorry if my question is not very clear ???

How about a classic? You may think it's Alter Ego #1 from 1961, but you'd be wrong - it's actually the Biljo White reprint from 1963. Biljo took new ditto masters and re-did the entire book, redoing the contents page, hand-lettered some titles, and added color ditto to strips. Cover says "Spring 1961" in light blue color ditto and also clarifies the path of the arrow, which could barely be seen in the original AE#1!

Don't stop now, Aaron! Great zines, great info! :applause:

Loved Comicbook Marketplace, the early Gary Carter edited issues are best and many people dislike the later issues, but I liked them all.

Alter Ego is the best mag around nowadays.

I recall the magazine had a gradual shift waway from Silver and Bronze. I also recall a shift towards collectible figurines and the like. All of that was well and good, but I preferred the focus to be on comics.

I may have to obtain a copy of Alter Ego, I have never purchased one.

I was gutted when CBM ended.

I couldnt quite get away with Alter Ego, still have quite a few though.

Do you concur with Whizzer that the magazine was best under Gary Carter?

I preferred the focus to be on Golden and Silver Age books, and had the impression the magazine was moving away from that focus. In retospect perhaps I was being too harsh, as the magazine was still quite good, and definitely better than not being published at all.

Alter Ego is a must-read, every single issue. No matter how much anybody thinks they know about comics, and their history, each ish is chock full of facts to astound. Every once in awhile TwoMorrows will have deep discount sales on bundles and you can nab a pile of great reading for cheap. When they do have bundle sales make sure you also grab all of The Comic Book Artist, and Back Issue! they have as well. All indispensable, fun, and informative reading.

Whizzer is right on the nose about CBM being best when Carter was at the helm, with Michael Naiman, Michelle Nolan, Pat Calhoun and other comic brainiacs contributing. They are all worth having but Gary published it as a Gold/Silver collector for a Gold/Silver audience. When Russ took over it began the shift over to what he was into personally and a lot of comic strip stuff, radio programs/premiums, etc. took over and comics began taking a back seat. Either way though, every one of my copies is notated, highlighted, taped on the spine, folded, spindled, and mutilated (hence buying a bunch of replacement copies from Ghost Town yesterday), because they have some of the best information out there.