• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanzines & Magazines about Comic Books
2 2

208 posts in this topic

Scholart Institute "Comic Book Illustrators Instruction Course" Lesson 1

001_Comic_Book_Illustrators_Inst-1.gif

Here is page one:

CBI_Lesson1_Page_1.gif

My copy has obvious bug damage (the large white patches), but I thought it was neat. I bought it from an antique shop about a decade ago. The lesson plan is dated 1954. There is a list of other lesson books on the back, but someone has drawn a line through the list in pen and written "discontinued".

I like it. I wish it was better shape, but heck... it's 1954 and it's Joe Kubert.

DG

Collage #12... or so I assume. It has no date in it or issue number. They solicit back issues from #1-11, so I assume this is #12.

012_Collage_med.jpg

Hi there dgarthewaite! The Wrightson cover you show is not Collage #12, although you're real close. It's the cover of Rockets Blast Comicollector #86 from 1971, edited/published by the very same individual as was Collage - the late and great G.B. Love!

I met the current owner of the stunning original Wrightson painting last year at OAFCon in Oklahoma City. He had bought it from GB about 20 years ago for an obscene amount of money and had no intention of ever selling it.

Collage #12... or so I assume. It has no date in it or issue number. They solicit back issues from #1-11, so I assume this is #12.

012_Collage_med.jpg

Hi there dgarthewaite! The Wrightson cover you show is not Collage #12, although you're real close. It's the cover of Rockets Blast Comicollector #86 from 1971, edited/published by the very same individual as was Collage - the late and great G.B. Love!

I met the current owner of the stunning original Wrightson painting last year at OAFCon in Oklahoma City. He had bought it from GB about 20 years ago for an obscene amount of money and had no intention of ever selling it.

Thanks for the clarification. The above item (as well as some of the other items posted) was/were hand picked by me and acquired from a long time reader of comics with somewhat eclectic tastes.

DG

Edited by dgarthwaite

A few more images of classic comic book fanzines from the 1960's:

Amateur Komix #3 from 1966 - This dittozine edited and published by Gary Acord contains Jim Starlin's very 1st piece of work ever published staring The Dolfin in "The Big Man."

Amateur_Komix_3.jpg

And here's the first published comic strip work within this issue of Amateur Komix #3 - note that he signs his name as "Jim Star" rather than Jim Starlin!

AmateurKomix3-Starlin.png

Edited by fugtussey

The Collector #1 from July 1967 - The humble first issue of the long running fanzine (29 issues from 1967-1974) was published by Bill G. Wilson (future editor of Questar Magazine) at the young age of 12 years old! It was only 4 pages long and digest sized. Wilson rapidly improved his production skills and produced an incredible fanzine which showcased soon-to-be-pros like Tony Isabella, Mark Evanier, John G Fantucchio, Don Newton, Alan Hanley, John Byrne, Ken Barr, Stephen Fabian, Jim Jones, Martin L Greim, Bill Black, Don Rosa, Robert Kline and many more.

The-Collector_1.jpg

Adsheet for et cetera – Of course, et cetera would morph into Witzend #1 after Wally Wood discovered another publication using that name.

ec cetera-witzend adsheet front-back.jpg

Fantastic Fanzine #5 from March 1969 – Yes, before he founded Fantagraphics, Gary Groth produced a crudzine! Oh my, how far you have come, Gary!

FantasticFanzine5March1969cover.jpg

Guts #1 The Magazine with Intestinal Fortitude from Aug 1967 – From the Gluckson brothers Rob & Jeff, I always thought this was a fantastic name for a fanzine. It's subtitle "The Magazine with Intestinal Fortitude" is way cool! The back cover features the first published artwork of Bruce Simon.

Guts1-Front&BackCover.jpg

Headline #1 from June 1962 – Steve Gerber's pioneering dittozine not only exudes charm, humor and excitement, it features silly Gerber illoes, a great "Little Giant" strip by Ronn Foss, and embarrassing hero creations of a young Roy Thomas! I know, it's a terrible scan ... sorry :-(

Headline1.jpg

Komix Illustrated #1 from July 1962] – 100% hand-lettered and drawn by Biljo White, Komix Illustrated #1 was the first fanzine ever produced by Biljo, "Master of the Ditto Master," whose charming, clean, cartoony style of art was perfect for ditto printing.

KomixIllustrated1.jpg

Mask & Cape #4 – The first two issues were little more than crudzines, but under the new editorship of super-fan writer Steve Perrin, he ensured Mask & Cape’s legacy as one of the best dittozines of the 60’s.

Mask&Cape4.jpg

Nucleus #1 from July 1969 – According to Editor/Publisher Mark Wheatley, a crude, experimental 3M duplicating machine (provided by a neighbor) was used to produce this first issue of the classic early comics fanzine Nucleus. The 3M machine was located in his next door neighbor's garage and took about 3 minutes per page, capable of printing on one side only. It certainly has not survived the rigors of age has it? Wheatley would later become an award winning artist of the Inkpot, Speakeasy and Mucker awards and currently heads Insight Studios Group/ISG publishing company.

Nucleus1.jpg

ODD #1 from May 1964 – ODD was heavily inspired by the early comic book version of MAD Magazine, and included comic strip parodies of comic book characters, TV shows and movies. Editor Dave Herring was an incredibly gifted artist, and his ability to draw clean images on a ditto master rivaled Biljo White, who was the acknowledged guru of that media. His "Souperman" and "The Mobsters" strips in ODD #1 show Herring's talent with an even tougher printing method, the hectograph, an archaic printing process which was extremely labor intensive and yielded no more than 40 copies. According to Herring, the print-run of ODD #1 was miniscule (“Not much more than a dozen copies”), thus this issue is ultra-rare and has become much sought after in recent years.

ODD1.gif