• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,875 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2022 at 9:55 PM, gadzukes said:

Got this one in and was pleasantly surprised to find that it contains JIM 83 & 84.  

Which makes sense since it's issue #1.  I just wish they would have used the cover to 83

Actually, not that much, as there is issue #0. No idea why they didn't the JM83 story in n°0.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, Kromak said:

Actually, not that much, as there is issue #0. No idea why they didn't the JM83 story in n°0.

I don't understand what content issue "0" has.... I have almost every issue of this series.  Issue 1 starts with JIM 83/84, issue 2 has 85/86 issue 3 has 87/88 and so on.  But I don't have issue "0" so I can't check the content.  Weird.  Maybe issue "0" is more like an Annual and reprints JIM annual 1.  "0" is one of the only covers that doesn't reprint a JIM cover so you can't tell what the content is.

From what I can tell in this series, they reprinted 2 Thor comics into each issue.  So they had two covers to pick from for each issue.  For some stupid reason they chose the cover to JIM 84 for issue 1 even though the cover to JIM 83 would have been a better choice.

Luckily for issue 2 they chose the cover to JIM 85

Edited by gadzukes

Comparison time. US Superboy 160 with its Brazilian counterpart, the deluxe Superboy em Cores n°4 (Superboy in colors), one of my favorite Superboy stories.

P1010010.thumb.JPG.bba81e44763edf6138b98b2bd58ff58a.JPG

P1010004.thumb.JPG.5999897593e15a59e0a4716596638bce.JPG

P1010001.thumb.JPG.4465f560353f761cacc50307edef40e0.JPG

P1010006.thumb.JPG.91f33583876fafd96009be3ef4380730.JPG

Some random comments:

About the cover. Different color schemes used. The obvious different is the darker green background, but if one pay attention, there is also differences in the globe, that in the US version has different colors and more of them, plus more detail in the lines on it.

They did a very simplified translation of Superboy's dialog, surprisingly with printed letters (as this was not the case in the interior pages). The US cover is a standard glossy cover of average thickness. The Brazilian Ebal uses a non glossy cover, of a standard Ebal edition (which is thicker than US standard). In this deluxe edition, there is also a plastic layer over both covers, which in Brazil's hot whether, used to do a lot of different to protect comics from staining, especially since most editions where preserved in fairly open environments, not in a cabinet or something like that. Brazil also has a higher % of people who lives next to Ocean than the US, so even greater chances of humidity stains to show up.

About the inner pages, there is a lot difference, not only between both editions. but also internal differences in the US one. There is a big difference in printing quality in some US pages. Some were clearly printing on far lower quality standard than the others. If you compare the one were Superboy shows up with the policeman, it is far worst than the US were Cleopatra appears. Not sure if it will be possible to detect it in these photos, even though I used the highest quality possible. It just appears far more blurred than the other two. A decent amount of pages are like that.

Between the US and Brazilian, the printing quality of the lines, when compared with the better pages of the US version, is about the same. However, there are visibly differences in the colors, although I think the photos didn't really do a good job in showing of them. The colors are usually stronger and more vivid in the BR version, especially the yellow. The difference is smaller when comparing the US pages of higher printing quality. The BR edition has a "pop art" fell to it due to the colors.

Part of the color difference might be related to the paper used. While the US used a standard newsprint paper, the BR one used a high quality paper, that absorbed the ink in a quite different manner. During the first two or three years of these deluxe editions, the inner pages were super thick, about as thick as the covers themselves. Next to some European deluxe albums, the thickest I have seen so far for a comic book.

Finally, the lettering. Both used handwritten letters, which is the most normal in US comics, but not in Brazil, where it depended on the publisher. Ebal used it in its early days, but its biggest competitor, RGE, hired many of its letterers, so they started to use typed ones instead. The letters used are quite large in the BR one, which forced the translator to being economic in some translations, skipping some redundant dialogs and using short words/expressions. Plus some idiomatic expressions received non literal translation, as a few other dialogs.

Next comparison: US Superman 140 and its Brazilian counterpart. 

I've been buying some Brazilian comics.

Here's a Chuck Dawson story from Action Comics 8 printed in Gazetinha #567 printed in October 1939

What I find awesome about this is..... In Action Comics, Chuck Dawson was a Black & White story (sometimes with red), so this Cover image is one of the the first "colored" images of Chuck Dawson.

IMG_0835.jpeg

On 4/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, gadzukes said:

I've been buying some Brazilian comics.

Here's a Chuck Dawson story from Action Comics 8 printed in Gazetinha #567 printed in October 1939

What I find awesome about this is..... In Action Comics, Chuck Dawson was a Black & White story (sometimes with red), so this Cover image is one of the the first "colored" images of Chuck Dawson.

IMG_0835.jpeg

Here's the Action Comics 8 panel it's taken from.

IMG_0836.jpeg