• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-O Manowar discussion, arriving May 2

344 posts in this topic

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the total print run?

What is the problem you see?

Yes, there were many ordered and printed. As a publisher, they likely want to get as many books into readers hands as possible which is why they used the variants and the print run was large.

Although there are some stores that have over ordered, there are many, many more stores that under ordered.

Having copies available on shelves is a good idea, imo. More people can try it as word picks up. If there are no copies to be tried, then people can't try it. Their goals are long term, not short. Having copies already available is probably a better idea than short printing like most publishers do and going into a second print.

It's a different way and we'll see if it works in a year to 18 months from now, not on issue 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

Yes, there is likely going to be a tremendous drop from #1 to #2, but at least the #1 will still be there for people to try and possibly order the trade if / when word gets out on the quality of the book.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the total print run?

What is the problem you see?

Yes, there were many ordered and printed. As a publisher, they likely want to get as many books into readers hands as possible which is why they used the variants and the print run was large.

Although there are some stores that have over ordered, there are many, many more stores that under ordered.

Having copies available on shelves is a good idea, imo. More people can try it as word picks up. If there are no copies to be tried, then people can't try it. Their goals are long term, not short. Having copies already available is probably a better idea than short printing like most publishers do and going into a second print.

It's a different way and we'll see if it works in a year to 18 months from now, not on issue 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

Yes, there is likely going to be a tremendous drop from #1 to #2, but at least the #1 will still be there for people to try and possibly order the trade if / when word gets out on the quality of the book.

Thats certainly one way to look at it.

I look at it differently in that flooding the market is never a good thing. Creating buzz is a great thing but not by printing so many that everyone gets one. (hello Turok) Those issues, imo, are already on there way to the 50 cent bin.

This launch, done differently, could've created a buzz where people that might not have heard about Valiant, would have by word of mouth. When something really great is produced people will notice it. If its something scarce then it becomes that much more desirable.

All the stores I went to (4) had both on the shelf in equal quantities. I think its better because I can pick what cover I want. Most people dont want two copies of a comic for the cover. I just pick the cover I like best with all non-rare variants.

I agree. I've got no problem with a company that is confident enough in their product that they've supplied enough to market to ensure some shelf life.

ever hear of teenage mutant ninja turtles?

Can you think of any reasons why analogizing this to the current X-O is apples to oranges?

The point I'm making is, if you want to make a title successful, don't overkill it with a high print run.

I seriously doubt that X-O will go to a second print.

Look at Chew, it was an instant hit, all the way to a Third Print run.

If you print 4 million copies of a single issue, there is no demand when you have plenty of supply

The point I'm making is, if you want to make a title successful, don't overkill it with a high print run.

I seriously doubt that X-O will go to a second print.

Look at Chew, it was an instant hit, all the way to a Third Print run.

If you print 4 million copies of a single issue, there is no demand when you have plenty of supply

You are completely comparing apples to oranges. Chew is an exception to any rule so you can't compare it to X-O.

Why? Chew is the one extremely succesful book to come up over the last few years. Further, Chew is an indy book where there are just two creators on the book. Only two people to pay. Valiant is a company. If you look at Chew #24 it sold under 12K copies according to icv2. That's GREAT for an Image book with two creators on it, but it's likely not going to cut it for a company book that is expected to be the main seller. If X-O #24 is selling 12K copies, that's a disappointment.

Finally, Chew isn't popular because of the low print runs and multiple printings in the beginning. It's popular because it's a damn good book. Over several issues, the same may be true for X-O. I've yet to see a bad review on this book. All reviews are great. Why not make that available for customers to purchase if you have the means to do so?

Your stance is mainly from the secondary market side and I agree with you in that sense. However, Valiant has to think bigger if their goal is to be the third largest publisher again (not that I know what their goals are).

Sorry but tried to find that link to the thread were someone posted what Image had to say with all the recent new comics being sold out. The image rep stated that yes it was great that SAGA, ToT, MP etc were sold out but defeats the purpose as a business rule the whole intent is to get copies in the hands of the readers and not wait for another print run.

Anyways I thought it would be appropriate to re-read that in light of what is happening for X-O 1 but could not find it even when I searched for it. Perhaps in VEI take, they actually did not want to be caught with their pants down first time out the door and actually paid attention to the recent print run issues with IMAGE. (shrug)

The other thing is 40K is prob what was ordered. As a company, imho, they would be fools to turn around and print 20K knowing they had actual orders for 40K...

2c

ever hear of teenage mutant ninja turtles?

Can you think of any reasons why analogizing this to the current X-O is apples to oranges?

Absolutely...apples and oranges (thumbs u

Sorry but tried to find that link to the thread were someone posted what Image had to say with all the recent new comics being sold out. The image rep stated that yes it was great that SAGA, ToT, MP etc were sold out but defeats the purpose as a business rule the whole intent is to get copies in the hands of the readers and not wait for another print run.

Anyways I thought it would be appropriate to re-read that in light of what is happening for X-O 1 but could not find it even when I searched for it. Perhaps in VEI take, they actually did not want to be caught with their pants down first time out the door and actually paid attention to the recent print run issues with IMAGE. (shrug)

The other thing is 40K is prob what was ordered. As a company, imho, they would be fools to turn around and print 20K knowing they had actual orders for 40K...

2c

Image doesn't determine the print run of their books, the creators do. Because the creators are paying for it out of their own pocket.

The creators aren't under printing their books. They are printing based on Diamond Pre-Orders. There's no gimmick to under print a book. It makes no sense. They're just being cautious in an unpredictable market. They're playing it safe. And they are succeeding.

If Valiant is overprinting and hoping that the stories/art can win people over, then that is the business decision they have made. I wish them luck. It's a fickle market.